Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Opeth - The Clean Vox Albums

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Today I got Sorceress and Garden of the Titans (2CD/BD/DVD) in the mail. So while I've listened to parts of Sorceress before, I'm right now in the middle of my first proper spin of the album with actual CD-quality sound (because...it's a CD!). It sounds great, and is a very cool album. Looking forward to watching the Red Rocks show! It had always bothered me that I hadn't really devoted any time to Opeth beyond Heritage, and in fact I haven't even listened to Heritage that much, but I did buy it when it came out. So it's good to be back on the Opeth bus!

(Pale Communion and In Cauda Venenum are in the mail.)
    YEAHHH!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just finished watching Garden of the Titans. Good show, and good sound. When they're editing these things does Akerfeldt tell them not to use close-up shots of him singing? Especially the growled vocals - the camera's never on him when he's growling. I think he doesn't like how he looks when he growls, or something.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

the camera's never on him when he's growling. I think he doesn't like how he looks when he growls, or something.
    I hadn't picked up on that before. Elizabeth Zharoff (The Charismatic Voice YT channel) was able to see enough of what he was doing to form an opinion when she viewed Ghost Of Perdition (spoiler - she was very impressed).
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

TESTING TESTING

My Clean Vocal Era Rankings

1. Pale Communion
    2. In Cauda Venenum
    3. Heritage
    4. Sorceress

Perhaps I should circle back to Sorceress. I know a few folks who like Sorceress best.
    I like the Swedish version of In Cauda Venenum more than the English.
    Last edited by Crawford Glissadevil; 03-28-2022 at 04:37 PM.

I don't know how this concert package escaped my notice.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

(Pale Communion and In Cauda Venenum are in the mail.)
    Both of those are quite good. My brother is who introduced me to Opeth, and Heritage is probably his favorite of theirs. I haven't given it enough time myself to know it really well, but it is a nice dark and moody Swedish symph record.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Not a huge fan of Heritage but I love all the other clean vocal albums, hard to pick a favourite, maybe Sorceress and of course don't forget Damnation.

This scared me and made go and order the few later CDs I hadn't bothered to purchase and was leeching off of Spotify! I had no trouble finding inexpensive 2CD versions on Discogs, though one or two of the three (Pale Communion, Sorcerress, and In Cauda...) had bonus disks without 5.1 mixes. But I don't even have a 5.1 speaker setup, so the other bonus material was actually preferable, or at least I won't miss a 5.1 mix.

I feel much better now that I've ordered those... It took me a while to warm up to these albums, but Chalkpie has helped. A lot!
    It was mainly the 5.1 versions that I could not find.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Both of those are quite good. My brother is who introduced me to Opeth, and Heritage is probably his favorite of theirs. I haven't given it enough time myself to know it really well, but it is a nice dark and moody Swedish symph record.
    Heritage took me a while, but man once it clicked

I liked Heritage a lot right away, but I understood why others didn't. I'm just glad more people seem to have come around to it over time. Tracks like Famine, Folklore and Lines In My Hand are top notch IMO!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I liked Heritage a lot right away, but I understood why others didn't. I'm just glad more people seem to have come around to it over time. Tracks like Famine, Folklore and Lines In My Hand are top notch IMO!
    It wasn't the quality, it was just SO jarring coming from the heels of the mighty Watershed, and my attitude was shit tbh. I didn't accept the music for what it was, I just wanted more of the same, like a Watershed or GR 2.0. I was basically being a close-minded asshole. Once I opened myself up, I realized what a mistake I made for years essentially ignoring the album. I've come to realize that Mikael has the "midas" touch regarding composing....I love essentially everything he's ever done and will follow him unconditionally for life.

I always loved some Opeth, but somehow I started to loose interest after Heritage. On paper I should love it. Damnation is my favourite record by them, but something doesn't work yet for me. Opeth's last four records feel less authentic to me then their earlier stuff. Michael often jokes "this will be a total ripoff from Camel" and quotes similar. Funny maybe, but I don't like when things become too obvious. When I listen to their later records I many times think: ah this piece sounds like Rainbow, this piece like Popul Vu, but I just want them to sound like Opeth. Besides, a lot of nice moments don't make a nice album in my opinion. Especially Heritage feels to much cut and paste. Where is the flow? Maybe I will get it one day and then I will let you know, but for now: when I want to hear Camel I play Camel ;-)

I always take Mikael with a grain of salt when he says it sounds like 'this' or 'ripped off that'. Nothing sounds like Camel to me, especially "Ending Credits". Why, because he sustains notes like Latimer and a billion other guitarists that tune? It all sounds like Opeth music to me, all original. The only track that is very derivative for me is "Will o the Wisp", which is obvious.

I haven’t bought any of the ‘growling’ albums …. well, other than Watershed which has apparently been shipped to me by sloth so I don’t have it yet. I have listened to snippets on YT and I can see why fans of the early stuff could not like the more recent albums. I just don’t like head-banger death metal stuff and Opeth isn’t going to change that …. but I am really enjoying their ‘clean’ albums. Heritage and Damnation particularly, with PC and Sorceress somewhat less so far. Cauda also shipped via sloth …..

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Nothing sounds like Camel to me

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

'The best stuff is really when Mick Pointer was a baby, banging on pots and pans. That was their most "out there" stuff.' - JKL2000

^ Yeah the beginning is definitely "inspired", but arpeggiated acoustic runs are found in a lot of places. Everyone rips off somebody at times, but I feel that Opeth is largely original in like 98% of the stuff they play. The four newest albums sound like no other band that I know, and sometimes they don't even sound like the same band. However, they themselves have been ripped off now a bunch of times in modern metal. Aekerfeldt may get inspired by his listening but I think his version of whatever he makes becomes "Opethian".

^ Yeah the beginning is definitely "inspired", but arpeggiated acoustic runs are found in a lot of places. Everyone rips off somebody at times, but I feel that Opeth is largely original in like 98% of the stuff they play. The four newest albums sound like no other band that I know, and sometimes they don't even sound like the same band. However, they themselves have been ripped off now a bunch of times in modern metal. Aekerfeldt may get inspired by his listening but I think his version of whatever he makes becomes "Opethian".
    I do agree. I just like to trot out that example whenever the subject is raised. I think Åkerfeldt has always taken his influences and stirred them incessantly in his cauldron (with the Opeth logo on it) until the music can only sound like Opeth. He throws in nods to people here and there, but every album from Orchid to Cauda is unmistakably them. I can recognize it instantly whether it's death metal or the wacked out prog journey he's been taking for a decade now.

I can't recall if I've posted my Cauda review here (apologies if I have), but ca1ore might find it of interest of late:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/opet...nuclear-blast/

^ agreed and brilliant!

My favorite Opeth tune

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I do agree. I just like to trot out that example whenever the subject is raised. I think Åkerfeldt has always taken his influences and stirred them incessantly in his cauldron (with the Opeth logo on it) until the music can only sound like Opeth. He throws in nods to people here and there, but every album from Orchid to Cauda is unmistakably them. I can recognize it instantly whether it's death metal or the wacked out prog journey he's been taking for a decade now.

I can't recall if I've posted my Cauda review here (apologies if I have), but ca1ore might find it of interest of late:

https://www.velvetthunder.co.uk/opet...nuclear-blast/
    Nice review! My copy has apparently been handed off to USPS .... which means I have no idea where or when it is. It'll arrive eventually I am sure. In the meantime Sorceress is growing on me.
    Last edited by ca1ore; 01-25-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Heritage took me a while, but man once it clicked
    I really need to revisit that one. During these dark winter months it's a good time for that.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Spinning Sorceress again as I wait for Pale Communion and In Cauda Venenum to finish their dance with DeJoy.
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    My favorite Opeth tune
    Great, such a wonderful tune. I never saw this clip either - cheers Nosey.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I really need to revisit that one. During these dark winter months it's a good time for that.
    Its a great late night album with lights off, candles lit, and dram poured.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson