Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jon Anderson Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good stuff, ytse! Thanks!
    I actually know the guy(his name is also Ed) who uploaded this youtube video(although I haven't seen him in a while). He's friends with Ed's widow so that might explain how he was able to get a hold of this.

A great interview and how often do you have a former member of a band discuss the other member's new solo album in detail?

I liked In the City of Angels when it came out, especially half of it, but never saw Jon Anderson as breaking out into a big solo act of the late 1980s as he seemed optimistic about becoming. Just a year later he and Howe would be back together in the form of ABWH and then the Union album.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    A great interview and how often do you have a former member of a band discuss the other member's new solo album in detail?

I liked In the City of Angels when it came out, especially half of it, but never saw Jon Anderson as breaking out into a big solo act of the late 1980s as he seemed optimistic about becoming. Just a year later he and Howe would be back together in the form of ABWH and then the Union album.
    As far as pop albums go I think "In the City of Angels" is a great album. I know a lot of fans didn't(and don't)like it and I certainly understand that but as a pop album I'll take it over "no jacket required" any day.

No, it didn't make him a star. I knew a woman a long time ago who said one(or maybe more than one)of the songs was used at someone's wedding. I also remember "lending" this same woman a cassette copy of one of Jon's albums(not sure which one but possibly animation)which of course was never returned to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Watching the recent ARW videos and can believe how great Jon sounds. Great to see him back so strong.
    I was at the show at the Goodyear Theater in Akron, OH last night. Jon was phenomenal, as were everyone in the band. It was the best concert I've seen in years.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by thos View Post
    Maybe less so on this site, but he did get a lot of flak for his 70's lyrics as well back then (even from the rest of the band!) I do think there's a lot to be said for how unique his approach was at that time and how musical those lyrics are, how they are really a unique style/language /approach to writing /singing.. I like to think people are appreciating that more nowadays.

The man always seemed to have a great perspective on his stuff ... I remember once where he responded to the criticism of his lyrics, saying they were really about the sound of the words as much as the meaning, and "I don't go around saying 'Hey, I'm a poet!' "

...and at the same time I never found them as people to be pompous about it. Jon in particular was always enthusiastic (and probably stubborn) about doing something grand and unique with a sense of wonder, but he liked good old rock 'n roll too.

Just a wonderful guy!
    I wouldn't say Jon is at all pompous. He didn't even have a roadie to fetch his acoustic guitar or harp. He retrieved the instruments himself.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    As far as pop albums go I think "In the City of Angels" is a great album. I know a lot of fans didn't(and don't)like it and I certainly understand that but as a pop album I'll take it over "no jacket required" any day.

No, it didn't make him a star. I knew a woman a long time ago who said one(or maybe more than one)of the songs was used at someone's wedding. I also remember "lending" this same woman a cassette copy of one of Jon's albums(not sure which one but possibly animation)which of course was never returned to me.
    I like the album and in particular the songs co-written with Lamont-Holland. He also has a great backing band which was effectively TOTO

I was at a wedding many years ago, and a song from that album, maybe called 'In A Lifetime', was the bride and groom's special dance song. Pretty perfect for the occasion. Though this is an album where side one is okay, but I love side two. And yes, light years over any Phil Collins solo album for me personally, even his 'big band' one which I thought was far and away his best.

Phil Collins had a big band album?

Phil Collins had a big band album?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Hot_Night_in_Paris
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    In this Ed Sciaky interview of Steve Howe, the most remarkable thing that struck me were a couple of the young female radio call in's asking Steve questions. I mean the second girl sounds about 14 or 15 years old and is asking Steve if he got the flowers she threw up on the stage, then asks about Bill Bruford, comments that YES was much better with Steve and Jon in the group and that she thought Alan did a great job drumming on Topographic Oceans.

The youth culture of today seems so far away from having these kind of intellectual conversations about experimental rock music. This interview was in the late 80's I believe, not even the 1970's. She's speaking of YES with a level of musical knowledge and sophistication I rarely find in 40 somethings.

It was surely a different time, and I don't feel like we as a culture are moving forward as everyone seems to believe.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

Trevor Rabin had a Jon Anderson for President shirt on at the Pittsburgh show on Sunday night.

Jon commented that it was scary.

Then again ...
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Yes, thanks for sharing. I said on a Yes thread here that White seems to have held a healthy and loving respect and friendship with Anderson, and this supports it, and is fantastic to see.

Anderson appeared to have had a reconciliation with Squire before Squire passed away. I do not think that he ever lost the friendship with White. Wakeman and Rabin clearly get on extremely well with him.

Quite honestly, as far as I can make out, of Yes alumni, it is only Howe who cannot stand the sight of Jon, and I have always felt that Howe was a difficult man to reach and get on with.

There is the longstanding issue with Vangelis, which was a shame, because I enjoyed their albums together. Again, though, Vangelis is a solo artist at heart. I have never heard of any issues between Oldfield and Anderson.

So, clearly some management and/or financial issues with a couple of collaborators over the years, but I really do not think that Anderson is as difficult as is sometimes made out. Quite honestly, I think that "blame" for the Howe and Vangelis situations work equally both ways.

White was reported to be the only Yes member to get in touch with Anderson when he was very sick back in 2008 and the message from White re Anderson's birthday shows that White still has some sort of relationship/ friendship with him

However my understanding is that both White and Howe have said they will never work professionally with Anderson ever again .

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Trevor Rabin had a Jon Anderson for President shirt on at the Pittsburgh show on Sunday night.

Jon commented that it was scary.

Then again ...

Anderson someone with no political background how could he possibly win oh but wait Trump !

Probably my favorite Phil solo album (if you can call it that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    In this Ed Sciaky interview of Steve Howe, the most remarkable thing that struck me were a couple of the young female radio call in's asking Steve questions. I mean the second girl sounds about 14 or 15 years old and is asking Steve if he got the flowers she threw up on the stage, then asks about Bill Bruford, comments that YES was much better with Steve and Jon in the group and that she thought Alan did a great job drumming on Topographic Oceans.

The youth culture of today seems so far away from having these kind of intellectual conversations about experimental rock music. This interview was in the late 80's I believe, not even the 1970's. She's speaking of YES with a level of musical knowledge and sophistication I rarely find in 40 somethings.
    I'm sure there are still teenage girls who do talk about it. Its just not as widely known/spread out, since its probably a few of them unfortunately.