Page 160 of 185 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    When they reissued the catalog some years back (2014 or so?), did they reissue every album on vinyl too? It's impossible to find the 80s releases on vinyl unless your last name is Bezos or Musk and you don't give a fuck how much you pay.
    I believe all the main studio albums were reissued on vinyl around that time, including Archive Cardiacs, but not the live albums or other compilations like Songs For Ships And Irons, which would be a great candidate IMO (even though I'm not a vinyl guy anymore). That's to the best of my memory, anyway, and I'd assume they were fairly small runs. But yeah, they're going to cost you, unfortunately. Especially on this side of the pond - whether you order directly from the ABC or track them down on Discogs, etc.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

https://davidminnick1.bandcamp.com/t...cardiacs-cover

David Minnick/The 180 Gs are at it again! This guy needs a statue built for him with a Cardiacs T-shirt on it.
    Mindblowing. Just mindblowing.

This is going to sound odd, but I have just got round to listening to Sing to God!!

There is method in my madness. I’ve had ALMAAH, Live and OLAITS on CD since the late 80s and listened to ALMAAH, in particular, countless times.

I came back to Cardiacs last year (when I found this forum), and then decided to catch up with Dr Smith’s work. I decided to tackle it chronologically, rather than dip in and out.

I filled in some of the earlier gaps with The Seaside and Songs for Ships - obviously many of those tracks I was familiar with from Live and their re-recorded versions (particularly as the CD of ALM has the extra tracks like Loosefish Scapegrace - one of the Card’s best IMO). It’s interesting to hear how Cardiacs developed their sound, and Tim’s singing style on the earlier stuff is very different.

Next was therefore HBAEB. I never heard this back in the day, but it’s another great, great album. Not quite as wildly creative as ALM; it’s arguably Cardiacs’ straightest album, but it’s got some absolute stonkers on it. It kept me occupied for months, and still something I go back to regularly. I know Day is Gone, Core and March are a bit “non-Cardiacs”, but they are fantastically uplifting.

At this point, I still have to say that ALM is my favourite Cardiacs album (in fact one of favourite full-stop), particularly if we allow the cheat of having the extra early tracks at the end. It hangs together well as a concept album of sorts, even though I’m not sure the chronology of writing of the songs holds to that.

However, I knew I had to tackle the big one next; STG! On advice that I might shit my pants during the first listen, I contemplated sitting on the bog for my first session. I decided to take a risk, and luckily my underwear remained unsoiled.

Having listened through a couple of times, it’s certainly Dr Smith’s magnum opus. In style it’s clearly an evolution of the HBAEB cut-back style, with a bit more of the earlier stuff’s complexity added back in, in the new style, if that makes sense? I can certainly see why a lot of Cardiacs fans see it as a cumulation of what has come before.

It’s a lot to get your head around though. Even as someone who has listened to quite a bit of Cardiacs, it’s quite an assault on my sensibilities!

To me there’s a few variations of Cardiacs music on STG; the stuff I like best is the big-sounding anthems like Dirty Boy and Nurses - and the examples on STG are as good as anything they’ve done; there’s a fair bit of whimsical mid-tempo stuff like Odd Even and Foundling - they definitely have a Kinks (and by extension Blur) vibe; and then there’s a fair smattering of proper manic Cardiacs eg Angleworm and Fiery Gun, which I’ll admit I find the hardest to get into. However, the latter are often the most rewarding to actually get into. (I think RES is the perfect example of this - for many years I forwarded RES as it was “a bit too much”, but as we all know, to skip RES is to miss out on a fantastic piece of music.

It’s going to take a fair few more listens to uncover the treasures of Sing to God...

^^^^ Great read. And welcome to the forum

And there is still the Sea Nymphs stuff, Spratley's Japs, Oceanlandworld and of course GUNS and the Garage Concerts! Have you heared those yet?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    ^^^^ Great read. And welcome to the forum

And there is still the Sea Nymphs stuff, Spratley's Japs, Oceanlandworld and of course GUNS and the Garage Concerts! Have you heared those yet?
    I’m saving Guns for after STG, which will complete the studio albums, then I’ll give the side projects and the Garage Concerts a listen.

To some extent I think their music needs to be savoured and appreciated, so although I picked up most of what I needed on GarageBand last year, I’ve avoided randomly jumping in-and-out of the various albums. The funny thing is that not only did HBAEB keep me occupied for quite a bit when I moved onto it, it also got me back onto ALMAAH (which to some extent contradicts what I’ve just said!).

stuff
    I've been watching old X-files episodes ever since the Christmas holidays some seven weeks back, and today I reached the finale (ep. 22) of season 7, in which Dean Haglund's character "Ringo" Langley (of the Lone Gunmen) is wearing a Cardiacs shirt with your avatar on it. Around the 34:40 mark into the run.

It's not the aliens taking over, it's the... The... Uh, you know.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I've been watching old X-files episodes ever since the Christmas holidays some seven weeks back, and today I reached the finale (ep. 22) of season 7, in which Dean Haglund's character "Ringo" Langley (of the Lone Gunmen) is wearing a Cardiacs shirt with your avatar on it. Around the 34:40 mark into the run.

It's not the aliens taking over, it's the... The... Uh, you know.
    Yup. Cardiacs references in in popular TVshows are extremely rare so the screenshot of that scene is fairly famous amongst Cardiacs fans. That particular guy was always wearing tshirts of obscure metal and punk bands. Never liked the X-files enough to check it out though.

I know there is also a scene in French & Saunders on the music of "burn your house brown" and a guy wearing a Cardiacs T-shirt in the british sitcom 'the Vicar of Dibley'. Thats all I know off.

Listening to The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society (particularly some of the album tracks like Big Sky), I may be wrong, but I see a link to Cardiacs. The Kinks are somewhat more mellow, and Tim may add (several) extra layer of manic energy, but I think there are a lot of similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Robcat View Post
    Listening to The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society (particularly some of the album tracks), I may be wrong, but I see a link to Cardiacs. The Kinks are somewhat more mellow, and Tim may add (several) extra layer of manic energy, but I think there are a lot of similarities.
    I do not think its a coincidence that the only cover Cardiacs ever did was a Kinks song.

https://youtu.be/8YMs5QwHmMc

I do not think its a coincidence that the only cover Cardiacs ever did was a Kinks song.
    And I have to correct myself here. Wireless is really a cover too:

https://youtu.be/VuDPbqdKUSk

I think that once you get past the inherent punkiness of Tim’s voice, there’s a definite flavour of late 60s psychedelia, with whimsical Kinks like sensibilities.

I can’t help thinking that they were a decade out of synch with wider tastes. They were too punky for the 80s, but too early for Britpop (which made no bones about its 60s influences).

I wonder what Tim's fav Kinks albums were?

Well I think you definitely need to see this.

Dan Mongrain (Voivod) - Guitar
    Shawn Knight (Child Bite) - Vocals
    Dave Witte (Municipal Waste) - Drums
    Shane Embury (Napalm Death) - Bass (dirty)
    Jim Smith (Cardiacs) - Bass (clean)
    Stian Carstensen (Farmers Market) - Accordion
    PowerDave - Vibraphone, Aux Percussion, Keys, Backing Vocals
    Bruce Lamont (Brain Tentacles) - Saxophone
    Christian Doble (Fawnn) - Backing Vocals

In loving remembrance of Tim Smith
    July 3rd 1961 – July 21st 2020
    Our leader of the starry skies
    RIP

^amazing. Loved it!

Nice!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That's really very good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Well I think you definitely need to see this.
    Wonderful!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Fucking amazing. More! More! Jim! Jim!

Wonderful!!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

WOW! That was jaw dropping. I loved it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I finally pulled the trigger and bought A Little Man... and Sing to God, directly from ABC. Also a shirt Looking forward to cranking them on the home system! Anyone have experience with ordering from them and know about how long shipping to the US takes?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger and bought A Little Man... and Sing to God, directly from ABC. Also a shirt Looking forward to cranking them on the home system! Anyone have experience with ordering from them and know about how long shipping to the US takes?
    First off, congrats!

Yeah I've ordered shirts, mugs, CDs, LPs, DVDs, etc a lot of stuff. The last order back in July for two LPs never made it....so I emailed Mary (she basically runs the shop) and she sent replacement copies which made it here to NY in about 10 - 14 days. You bought two amazing, amazing records!
    Last edited by chalkpie; 02-27-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger and bought A Little Man... and Sing to God, directly from ABC.
    Enjoy. Are you ever in for a treat!

Yes. Listening to ALM from start to finish is a wonderful experience, particularly after a couple of listens. There’s some recurring motifs and nice segues that make it hang together better than any of their other albums IMO.

First off, congrats!

Yeah I've ordered shirts, mugs, CDs, LPs, DVDs, etc a lot of stuff. The last order back in July for two LPs never made it....so I emailed Mary (she basically runs the shop) and she sent replacement copies which made it here to NY in about 10 - 14 days. You bought two amazing, amazing records!
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Enjoy. Are you ever in for a treat!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcat View Post
    Yes. Listening to ALM from start to finish is a wonderful experience, particularly after a couple of listens. There’s some recurring motifs and nice segues that make it hang together better than any of their other albums IMO.
    Thanks, folks. I may be the only person within a 200-mile radius to dig this, but I don't care; it's a rabbit hole I'm willing to explore on my own. Glad I have some long-distance aficionadi to chat with.
    David