Page 172 of 185 FirstFirst ... 72122162168169170171172173174175176182 ... LastLast
Results 4,276 to 4,300 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I am late.

I am excited.

I am ready for LSD.

I want it, I want it, I want it, give it to me now. (Don't force me to smash the telly and whatever's left of my broken iPhone.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Yeah, kind of nervous about how the vocal thing is approached, TBH.
    I'm not at all. If Kavus does it, he's got the Englishness vibe and I love his voice. I think the difficult aspect of this would be to know the vocal melodies....I wonder if Tim left vocal guide tracks on any demos or are they going in cold and composing vocal lines over the instrumental tracks? I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'm not at all. If Kavus does it, he's got the Englishness vibe and I love his voice. I think the difficult aspect of this would be to know the vocal melodies....I wonder if Tim left vocal guide tracks on any demos or are they going in cold and composing vocal lines over the instrumental tracks? I'm sure we'll find out eventually.
    100% with you.

This has me so, so excited right now!
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

I would be very surprised if Tim did not leave lyrics and melody lines. The Vermin Mangle track suggests there are demo versions with Tims vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I would be very surprised if Tim did not leave lyrics and melody lines. The Vermin Mangle track suggests there are demo versions with Tims vocals.
    I dont hear Kavus' voice working well over Cardiacs music - at least not the main lead vocals- to me it seems too warm and rounded - Timmy had some razor blades in his vocals. I do believe there are guide vocals from what I was told... maybe?
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    I dont hear Kavus' voice working well over Cardiacs music - at least not the main lead vocals- to me it seems too warm and rounded - Timmy had some razor blades in his vocals. I do believe there are guide vocals from what I was told... maybe?
    I always saw a similarity between Tim and another Smith, Robert of the Cure...I think he would hit the spot.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I always saw a similarity between Tim and another Smith, Robert of the Cure...I think he would hit the spot.
    Well, that would certainly be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Robert Smiths voice certainly has that brittish childlike quality. I can see that work on certain songs. I dont see him do the more angry tunes.

I want Bob Drake!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Robert Smiths voice certainly has that brittish childlike quality. I can see that work on certain songs. I dont see him do the more angry tunes.

I want Bob Drake!
    I love Bob - but serious? Bob? He's more of a smooth talker to me. hehe.

if it really is happening...I don't really care. I just wanna hear it. I have been waiting so long for this!!

but yeah...Tim ain't exactly the most replaceable vocalist. I like a lot of the singers in the Cardiacs orbit but idk who would be "right" for taking this on. But I know that, if they do choose to go this route, they will be taking it very seriously...so I know they'll find someone
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Years ago, probably when I was playing at the ABC, I mentioned to some Cardiacs persons that if ever needed to help finish anything, my various musical and technical skills were available, but was told, understandably so, they prefer to keep that work within the immediate family so to speak.

I love Bob - but serious? Bob? He's more of a smooth talker to me. hehe.
    While "smooth talker" is certainly one dish in my smorgasbord of vocalizations, there are many others too. Any one of my last few albums (Planets and Animals, L'Isola dei Lupi, Arx Pilosa) you'd hear a lot of them.

Bob
    https://bdrak.com
    https://bdstudio.bandcamp.com
    Last edited by Bob Drake; 01-15-2022 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Spelling anomalies.

^ Hi Bob.

Somehow I missed this interview with SW discussing our fav band and fav band leader....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/threecou...00/9291001.stm

Has this been posted here yet?

It's one of the better Cardiacs covers I've heard, with quite a bit bigger sound than the original. These guys are formally trained musicians out of NYC, whose usual shtick is pastiches of Sixties Italian movie music, and who have roots in the New England Conservatory. You could make a case that, like Zappa, Tim's music either requires an extraordinarily dedicated ensemble (like the Cardiacs themselves or the original Mothers), or classical/jazz players able to read and accurately play this crazed stuff if it's transcribed and put in front of them.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 01-15-2022 at 03:50 PM.

It's all been about the singer - LSD is more or less done but the vocals.
    That’s correct.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That’s correct.
    Am I sensing that this album *might* be released by a certain record company based in Silver Spring, MD? I wonder how the ABC would feel about that?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Am I sensing that this album *might* be released by a certain record company based in Silver Spring, MD? I wonder how the ABC would feel about that?
    You may be sensing it, but it isn’t true.

I have a long term relationship with Cardiacs, am friends with some of the people and even one of the business principals, and a very, very long time ago, before Tim was struck ill, Cuneiform releasing ‘the new’ Cardiacs CD was briefly discussed. But that’s 15 years ago.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    You may be sensing it, but it isn’t true.

I have a long term relationship with Cardiacs, am friends with some of the people and even one of the business principals, and a very, very long time ago, before Tim was struck ill, Cuneiform releasing ‘the new’ Cardiacs CD was briefly discussed. But that’s 15 years ago.
    I remember you saying that, so thought maybe there was a chance....

Just in the mood…

np:
    - On Land and in the Sea, next in line:
    - Live.

Here we go!!

Pura vida.
    Last edited by TCC; 01-19-2022 at 11:13 PM.

All Sparktarculor
    Someone put this on the end of a burned cd i had many years ago. Cheered me up hearing it again, so here it is! (Sarah has a lovely laugh)

Also: Come on lads, get LSD done!

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post

All Sparktarculor
    Someone put this on the end of a burned cd i had many years ago. Cheered me up hearing it again, so here it is! (Sarah has a lovely laugh)

Also: Come on lads, get LSD done!
    AWESOME. Thanks for sharing.

OK I recently joined this forum and I already experienced some total missing out. Never heard of Cardiacs before, but I checked them out thanks to all of you and now I'm hooked.

Wonderful music. Sometimes Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator comes to mind but wow, truly magical stuff.

So thank you very, very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkenralph View Post
    OK I recently joined this forum and I already experienced some total missing out. Never heard of Cardiacs before, but I checked them out thanks to all of you and now I'm hooked.

Wonderful music. Sometimes Hammill and Van der Graaf Generator comes to mind but wow, truly magical stuff.

Welcome aboard!

Glad you're enjoying Cardiacs. You've jumped right into the deep end.

If you like that stuff and haven't heard CHEER-ACCIDENT, I'd recommend checking them out (note that their output varies widely - I usually recommend Introducing Lemon as a starting point).

Also, while I'm here - worth mentioning this post I saw on FB:

I hope you're all well. I wanted to let you know that The Alphabet Business Concern, a caring concern, has decided to remove Cardiacs' music from Spotify. It will remain on other streaming websites, though.
    I know some of you will be disappointed but we no longer wish to be affiliated. We have no desire to enter into a discussion, here, about the reasons we have made this decision. We hope you will comtinue to enjoy Cardiacs' music on the other platforms.
    Best wishes,
    Mary x

Weeee! Welcome to the Pond!