Page 174 of 185 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    ^^^
    Thanks for sharing that - I'll definitely be checking it out!

I spent a couple great hours last night with various Cardiacs in my headphones. Had a stupid grin on my face the entire time. Listening to Cardiacs makes me feel young again!
    That's great and agreed. There is absolutely a magic with this band that pretty much I don't feel from anyone else. Every band/artist has their "thing", and Cardiacs thing is magnificent.

Disc one of Garage Concerts probably too loud in my headphones. Jim! Sir Kavus! Baba! Timmy!

Dunno how many times I've watched this - might as well do it again! I still dont know how many ants... gotta watch!
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Dunno how many times I've watched this - might as well do it again! I still dont know how many ants... gotta watch!
    However many times its not enough. The Garage Concerts CDs have essentially become my most listened to live album of the past whatever number of years now. I can seriously spin it every day and never get tired of it. I love Mare's Nest more than life itself but I spin this more. Kavus's guitar tone brought something special to the party, and he and Tim just fucking kill it. Jim and Bob too or course. I love Leaf Scrapings!

I couldn't imagine having another live album (pro recorded a la Garage) with Kavus with other tunes besides early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    However many times its not enough. The Garage Concerts CDs have essentially become my most listened to live album of the past whatever number of years now. I can seriously spin it every day and never get tired of it. I love Mare's Nest more than life itself but I spin this more. Kavus's guitar tone brought something special to the party, and he and Tim just fucking kill it. Jim and Bob too or course. I love Leaf Scrapings!
    something about the straight forward edge it carries - I adore the larger band but man - this just rages on and on - and yeah - Kavus has a super tone that just weaves thru in a great way. Tim looks so happy too - and that is making me smile.

I fully agree on the the Garage Concerts. The most "essential" live album I own. A must own.

In a review I recently published about the upcoming Hawkwind boxed set, I used this photo from the 1986 Reading Festival where they headlined. Imagine seeing them on the same day as Cardiacs!

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Also...

There are currently 648 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 647 guests)

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

page 3 - unacceptable! jusss bump! INNIT

I've been obsessing over Oceanlandworld of late, and I have a question I think I know the answer to, but would like confirmation (if such exists): Did Tim play drumkit on this, or are the drums put together from samples and machines? Sure sounds like the former to me, which would only raise my already sky-high opinion of the man's skills. 'Rat Mice Lice Time' is a workout!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I've been obsessing over Oceanlandworld of late, and I have a question I think I know the answer to, but would like confirmation (if such exists): Did Tim play drumkit on this, or are the drums put together from samples and machines? Sure sounds like the former to me, which would only raise my already sky-high opinion of the man's skills. 'Rat Mice Lice Time' is a workout!
    I'm 99.7% positive that Tim played real drums. The only guest was Sarah on sax on "Englands". You can hear the decay of the toms/cymbals so it definitely sounds real to me and not sampled.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I always understood that Timmy played everything himself xept fot the sax.

Superb album, innit?

OceanLandWorld is an amazing achievement, and for me ranks up there with the best albums by Cardiacs -- or anyone else, for that matter. It offers a fascinating glimpse into Tim's musical mind, and hearing/seeing what he did when left up to his own devices was eye-opening.

"This Grounds Town" and "Ocean Heaven" are two of my favorites.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

im almost certain that the drums on that album are a drum machine of some sort / programmed. i could certainly be wrong but that's just the impression i get from the sound of them (there's a certain level of extremely tight quantised perfection on them that stands out to me on close inspection)

just wanna also throw my appreciation into the ring here for garage concerts. i really appreciate that the mix quality and sound allow it to operate as essentially studio-level re-recordings of the early material with the 90s line up, excepting the bits of crowd noise in between tracks. my favourite way to listen to that material

'Englands' is for me - THE pop tune. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Demo is pretty interesting listening too - might be on YT somewhere...

'Englands' is for me - THE pop tune. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Demo is pretty interesting listening too - might be on YT somewhere...
    For me its Veronica in Ecstacy. Love that tune. Almost a bit Bowie-esque.

YEPS!

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    For me its Veronica in Ecstacy. Love that tune. Almost a bit Bowie-esque.
    So many to pick from! That's a wonderful tune too - man... TIMMY!!

Agreed - really difficult to pick a favorite. The groove of This Grounds Town? The drive and propulsive bass of Ocean Heaven? The majesty of Veronica in Ecstasy? The layers of Swimming With the Snake or Ocean Shipwreck? The pure psychedelia of Savour or Bug From Heaven? The Beatle-y goodness of Exploded? The city band-meets-brit-pop of England's? Or the in-you-face power pop of Rat Mice Lice Time? Through it all, the thing that gets me is the unique phrasing and harmonic language, like Cardiacs distilled.

As for the drums, it's cool either way: excellent playing/recording, or really great and skillful programming. Maybe a combination of the two?
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Crankin' Songs for Ships and Irons. The best! Sometimes my fav Cardiacs "album".

Crankin' Songs for Ships and Irons. The best! Sometimes my fav Cardiacs "album".
    Up there for me. Sing To God and A Little Man will always hold the top spots, but Ships And Irons is often a solid contender for #3, always the hardest choice in any ranking, in my experience anyway.

It's like Living In The Past in some ways, innit?

So many top-notch tunes on that one. Loosefish Scapegrace? Everything Is Easy? Big Ship? Stoneage Dinosaurs! C'mon...

Man... I'll never forget the time I popped that CD into my car and heard it for the first time. Cardiacs was life-changing.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021