Page 162 of 185 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    One would hate to jump in at this point but hey, from my perspective at least, that’s some good listenin’
    I'm finding lots of contrasting and complimentary aspects, both between your music and Cardiacs and within your offerings. Much enjoyment!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    I'm finding lots of contrasting and complimentary aspects, both between your music and Cardiacs and within your offerings. Much enjoyment!
    Yep - all amazing stuff. Kavus's album Hip to The Jag was my fav last year (or whatever year that was). Every Knifeworld album is a must. Not to overwhelm you, but of course if you are digging those Cardiacs albums you should keep going at some point. These are all worth hearing/owning/praising:

On Land and in the Sea - side 2 might end up being my fav set of Tim tunes - there are truly no words worthy of laudation
    Songs for Ships and Irons - essential
    The Sea Nymphs - essential (Cardicacs slooooowed down and mellowed out, yet the essence of Tim's music is just as strong here as in Cardiacs. Beautiful and otherwordly.)
    Tim's Special OceanLandWorld - A few of my fav Tim tunes are found here, like "Swimming with The Snake" which Kavus pointed put years ago is another masterpiece
    Mare's Nest (album/dvd) - Yep!
    The Special Garage Concerts (plus Rotten Shed dvd) - Yep! Tim's early tunes (written when he was dangerously young, yet are as good as anything in his career). My most played Cardiacs live album these days.

Yeah, it's silly to leave out the others (like Spratley's, etc) but baby steps

Other albums that I love within the 'family':

Knifeworld - all albums
    Stars in Battledress - In Droplet Form (this truly is some sort of masterpiece; it didn't hit me right away but when it did...oh man. The Larcombe brothers)
    Arch Garrison - The Bitter Lay, I will be a Pilgrim (Both are stellar imo)
    North Sea Radio Orchestra (everything is great)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Knifeworld - all albums
    Stars in Battledress - In Droplet Form (this truly is some sort of masterpiece; it didn't hit me right away but when it did...oh man. The Larcombe brothers)
    These are all great, I'd add William Drake as essential
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes! How could I forget Bill Drake....Rising of the Lights and Revere Reach are both outstanding as well.

Hi everyone!

I've started listening to Cardiacs in 2018 (thanks to mighty Major Parkinson).
    Can't say that I was hooked right away. But I am now a converted pondie.

(I'm from Russia, so my English might be an incomprehensible mess of butchered words, sorry for that. Please, don't hesitate to point out my mistakes.)

----------------------------

I don't see any info about this release in the previous pages, so let it be my first little contribution to this glorious thread (which I've read from the very first page)

A few weeks ago The Gasman released "2007 Cardiacs Tour Compilation"

Description:
    "All music played in between bands on the last Cardiacs tour in 2007.
    I was fortunate to go on tour with them and I will never forget that experience.
    All tracks have been remastered"

https://thegasman.bandcamp.com/album...ur-compilation

^
    A. Your English is excellent!

B Thanks for sharing this. Question: are these all compositions by The Gasman (whomever they/he/she is?).

C. Welcome to our Cardiacs thread, which has been going on a few years now

Question: are these all compositions by The Gasman (whomever they/he/she is?).
    As I understand, this album is comprised of pieces composed by The Gasman (who is a guy named Christopher Reeves) and does not include music by anyone else (if that's what you asking).
    These tunes were played at the last Cardiacs tour, and some people even thought that it was "Tim's ambient side project".

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    NP: On Land And In The Sea (Just cracked the shrink wrap on this CD, so my first full listen. I listened to about 1/2 of it on Spotify months ago. Not sure what to make of this one yet, but it's fun. Next listen I'm wearing reading glasses; tiny, blue type on white is a bitch! I like the blank page for Notes!)
    It took me several spins to appreciate the full glory of this masterpiece.
    Though every song is great, "The Duck and Roger the Horse" and "Buds and Spawn" are the ones I love the most.
    Last edited by daerzo; 04-02-2021 at 02:46 AM.

Re: The Gasman

That’s Christopher Reeves. He’s part of the ‘Cardiacs family’ and one of Tim’s all time favourite composers. He came on tour with us in 2007 and played this music before we came on.
    He’s extremely prolific and all his stuff is fantastic. I put out two of his ‘piano’ albums (Hiding Place 1&2) on my label a few years ago. Both highly recommended too.

https://www.thegenepool.co.uk/b/believers-roast/1.htm

Yep - all amazing stuff. Kavus's album Hip to The Jag was my fav last year (or whatever year that was). Every Knifeworld album is a must. Not to overwhelm you, but of course if you are digging those Cardiacs albums you should keep going at some point. These are all worth hearing/owning/praising:

On Land and in the Sea - side 2 might end up being my fav set of Tim tunes - there are truly no words worthy of laudation
    Songs for Ships and Irons - essential
    The Sea Nymphs - essential (Cardicacs slooooowed down and mellowed out, yet the essence of Tim's music is just as strong here as in Cardiacs. Beautiful and otherwordly.)
    Tim's Special OceanLandWorld - A few of my fav Tim tunes are found here, like "Swimming with The Snake" which Kavus pointed put years ago is another masterpiece
    Mare's Nest (album/dvd) - Yep!
    The Special Garage Concerts (plus Rotten Shed dvd) - Yep! Tim's early tunes (written when he was dangerously young, yet are as good as anything in his career). My most played Cardiacs live album these days.

Yeah, it's silly to leave out the others (like Spratley's, etc) but baby steps

Knifeworld - all albums
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yes! How could I forget Bill Drake....Rising of the Lights and Revere Reach are both outstanding as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by daerzo View Post
    Hi everyone!

I've started listening to Cardiacs in 2018 (thanks to mighty Major Parkinson).
    Can't say that I was hooked right away. But I am now a converted pondie.

(I'm from Russia, so my English might be an incomprehensible mess of butchered words, sorry for that. Please, don't hesitate to point out my mistakes.)

----------------------------

I don't see any info about this release in the previous pages, so let it be my first little contribution to this glorious thread (which I've read from the very first page)

A few weeks ago The Gasman released "2007 Cardiacs Tour Compilation"

Description:
    "All music played in between bands on the last Cardiacs tour in 2007.
    I was fortunate to go on tour with them and I will never forget that experience.
    All tracks have been remastered"

https://thegasman.bandcamp.com/album...ur-compilation

That’s Christopher Reeves. He’s part of the ‘Cardiacs family’ and one of Tim’s all time favourite composers. He came on tour with us in 2007 and played this music before we came on.
    He’s extremely prolific and all his stuff is fantastic. I put out two of his ‘piano’ albums (Hiding Place 1&2) on my label a few years ago. Both highly recommended too.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! It's a huge ocean of music, "...and the sea's far too big for drowning".
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I listened to the whole album, really beautiful stuff. I totally see why people could think this was written by Tim - it sometimes has that otherworldly feeling that you get with Tim's music. Beautiful chord progressions and lovely textures/colors. Thx for the heads-up on this Daerzo and Kavus.

Re: William Drake: Briny Hooves is a must IMO.

Welcome daerzo!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I've mentioned The Gasman on here before, but it bears repeating how essential his stuff is for Cardiacs fans. He released about eight full albums on his bandcamp in the last year or so, all of it has knocked my block off.

Thinking about other bands Tim listeners might enjoy, anyone know Brother Danielson/Danielson Famile?

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Thinking about other bands Tim listeners might enjoy, anyone know Brother Danielson/Danielson Famile?
    I only own the album "Ships", and I think it's really amazing!
    Also, I knew about them through a Mark Cawthra suggestion on Facebook

Re: Danielson, the album ‘Best Of Gloucester County’ is one of my favourite albums released this century. I love all his stuff bit this one has a special magic.

Haha, it was a certain Mr Bob Leith who mentioned Danielson when i asked him what bands he liked other than Genesis and Mr Bungle.

Do you like Ween Kavus? I would have thought The Mollusk and The Pod would be right up your funny music street.

^ Funnily enough they’re a band a few of my friends like and, whenever anyone tells me about them, I really like the sound of but have yet to check any out.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I think I just needed a way in

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Got them last week! I've listened more to A little man... so far and am really connecting to it. Sing to God will take a few more through-listens, I think. But they're both amazing; completely insane, and I love it. I also picked up three Knifeworld albums, Hip to the Jag, and The Utopia Strong s/t, so I'm kind of immersing myself in all those worlds as time permits. Fun times!
    Knifeworld was my entry point. I received a personal message on this very site from a Knifeworld band member with a link to the at the time new Knifeworld viddy. Life is a funny thing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Kavus was featured in the Guardian/Observer in the UK this weekend, looking cool as f**k, talking about his work as well as his influences - giving Dr Smith his due respect. Chapeau, sir!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...rong-interview

Quote Originally Posted by Robcat View Post
    Kavus was featured in the Guardian/Observer in the UK this weekend, looking cool as f**k, talking about his work as well as his influences - giving Dr Smith his due respect. Chapeau, sir!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...rong-interview

Great article, great dudes.

Been spinning Day is Gone EP almost relentlessly. Is this the most overlooked corner of Tim's music - not sure - but these four tracks make up a mini masterpiece. "Ideal" and "No Bright Side" are two of the best Cardiacs pieces for me. "...Plankton" is amazing too - like a YUGE 'Louie Louie' inspired anthem with some crazy modulations. This guy had the magical midas touch on everything he wrote.

I had a conversation about Cardiacs and the music of Tim Smith, taking also some unsuspected directions... hope you like it, for sure that's how I feel about his magic

https://lineamasondixon.it/en/2021/0...pIW_hjE-sw7Q1U

That's really nice. I remember seeing a photo of you with Tim (and i think Bill Drake) after the 2007 Astoria gig.

I was too busy drunkenly stumbling around in Soho and didn't dare approach Tim at the time, even though i saw him floating around. Obviously wish i had now, even if just to say "i fucking love you, you daft cunt".
    Last edited by loosefish; 04-10-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    That's really nice. I remember seeing a photo of you with Tim (and i think Bill Drake) after the 2007 Astoria gig.

I was too busy drunkenly stumbling around in Soho and didn't dare approach Tim at the time, even though i saw him floating around. Obviously wish i had now, even if just to say "i fucking love you, you daft cunt".
    I actually met Bill in the queue before the concert, and I met Tim, Jim and Kavus after the gig at the back of the Astoria
    That day many pondies were in a pub called "Angel" I think, but 15 years ago I absolutely was'nt confident enough of my english to go there and have an actual chat with people, though I met many of them in the queue and at the show! It was the best day of my life!

Great job on the interview Sterbus....I really enjoyed that.

Great job on the interview Sterbus....I really enjoyed that.
    Thank you. I tried to talk about music mostly but then I inevitably digressed talking of the feelings that music can give.
    Today it was a down day, really, then I put on Guns, and Spell with a shell made the same effect it makes me since 2006, and I was grinning from ear to ear again.
    I can finally front the dentist tomorrow. (Ouch!)

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Thank you. I tried to talk about music mostly but then I inevitably digressed talking of the feelings that music can give.
    Today it was a down day, really, then I put on Guns, and Spell with a shell made the same effect it makes me since 2006, and I was grinning from ear to ear again.
    They are one and the same. This music evokes incredibly powerful feelings regardless of how many times you play it (for me at least). The '95 Leeds "Big Ship" where the entire room is singing the shanty part can bring tears - the love felt in that room is unparalleled in rock music imo.

I did Spratleys Pony on Friday night nice and loud - what a killer album. It's a special one that album.