Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    New Cardiacs tune on its way.

https://thequietus.com/articles/2885...ix_cookie=true

Thus proving that the world is not completely shit.
    Free download: https://alphabet-business-concern.ba.../vermin-mangle

Very nice of them to make this a free download, even though I'd gladly have paid for it.

Looking forward to giving this a listen tonight. I've never heard the song in any form before.

Jim has kindly asked to not pay for the download (lots of people are using the "pay what you want" feature) and to donate here instead:

Tim sadly passed away on 21st July 2020 aged 59 years, will be terribly missed by myself and all who knew him.
    I won't go on about Tims musical genius, as we all know that to be a given, and many other more eloquent people have done a better job of that than I ever could.
    But I will say a few words about his character.
    He could be a stubborn, self centred tyrant of a man who bulldozed through his life with no thought of the consequences, but at the same time he was the gentlest, loving, funny and amazing brother anyone could wish for and I will miss him terribly.
    He was my best friend, my inspiration and I can think of no one else I would rather have spent the last 59 years with in my life.
    I will also say that he was the bravest man I have ever known, the last twelve years of his life must have been the most painful, frustrating and demoralising but his spirit was never broken.
    The proudest day of my life was to collect his Honorary Doctorate of Music on his behalf. To hear all these top musicians and music scholars talking about Tim as one of their own was fantastic, I could have burst! Who would have thought eh?
    Anyway...
    He once told me that dying is nothing to be worried about, because he had done it before and he wasn't scared anymore. I find great comfort in that and I hope you will too.
    I think he would have greatly approved of the work the Wiltshire Wildlife Hospital does. Thats why I have nominated them for charitable donations so cough up!

Jim Smith

https://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/fu...EAWzEDCtGxTd7k

^ Thanks, Sterbus.

I like "Vermin Mangle". It's a side of Cardiacs/Tim that I like hearing in contrast to the more "intense" stuff. Makes me miss him even more too, but it's nice to hear some new (to me) Tim Smith music.

Interesting. I caught it very early on and there was no "Name Your Price" option. Just said "Free Download".

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Interesting. I caught it very early on and there was no "Name Your Price" option. Just said "Free Download".
    It appears to be a free download logged out and a name your price logged in.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    It appears to be a free download logged out and a name your price logged in.
    That's interesting too. I am always logged in there as I update my wishlist frequently. Oh well.

Vermin Mangle has already found it's way into my mind...what a great melody and mood.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it was wicked of you big dead boy
    Suddenly just went to sleep
    Well here we are..." - Tim Smith (1961-2020)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Stop Motion Orchestra just covered TVTV in their Virtual ProgDay set.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^That's great Ian.

So I placed an order for both Sing to God and Heaven Born on vinyl on the day that Tim died back in July....the order got lost....Mary sent me a replacement package and they just showed up today! I can't believe these are still available on vinyl at the cardiacs site! I'm happy.

For all who might be interested, I wrote an eight pages article on the latest issue of Prog Italia about Tim Smith and Cardiacs!

It's in italian, here you can find the digital version...
    https://sprea.it/rivista/23926-prog-...YA2F1JHjWumT9k

If someone wants a physical copy let me know!

From the Cardiacs family : That new Arch Garrison record is really a thing of beauty. Not Prog but a folk record with a psychedelic sauce. Get it.

https://archgarrison1.bandcamp.com/album/the-bitter-lay

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    From the Cardiacs family : That new Arch Garrison record is really a thing of beauty. Not Prog but a folk record with a psychedelic sauce. Get it.

https://archgarrison1.bandcamp.com/album/the-bitter-lay
    It's very good, something that is 'nice' where that word is a strong compliment.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.