Page 151 of 185 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

A trio indeed. Might tear yer face off.

^Oh man. That’s a steep price to pay, but I’m ready.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Now that's worth the effort of getting to Brighton for. Wonderful news!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Man that sounds good
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

bumped - cocaine is a helluva drug...

He's no doubt been brought up on here before, but i've been playing the arse out of The Gasman of late. Tim called him a genius and he specially recorded music for the last Cardiacs tour (were these ever released, anyone know?). If you don't know him, the albums Superlife, The Love Collection, Hiding Place and This One's For You are a good place to jump in and you know you should.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    He's no doubt been brought up on here before, but i've been playing the arse out of The Gasman of late. Tim called him a genius and he specially recorded music for the last Cardiacs tour (were these ever released, anyone know?). If you don't know him, the albums Superlife, The Love Collection, Hiding Place and This One's For You are a good place to jump in and you know you should.
    Good stuff in person too. I might have to indulge this afternoon. Hiding Place.

Here's what Jon Poole and Baba have been doing before they joined Cardiacs.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KXcXtCqGKpQ

Regarding The Gasman...yes, he’s an extraordinary composer.
    I put out his two ‘piano’ albums, Hiding Place and Hiding Place 2, on Believers Roast.
    I can’t recommend these and pretty much his entire catalogue highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Regarding The Gasman...yes, he’s an extraordinary composer.
    I put out his two ‘piano’ albums, Hiding Place and Hiding Place 2, on Believers Roast.
    I can’t recommend these and pretty much his entire catalogue highly enough.
    Hi there Kavus. Hugs. x

Any Knifeworld news, Kavus?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Damn this is good.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Yes this is excellent!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Damn this is good.
    Sounds like a perfect audition to join Cardiacs, not?

Sounds like a perfect audition to join Cardiacs, not?
    you guys ever hear Jon's early versions of his tunes from STG? A Horse's Tail - Bell Stinks - Bell Clinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    you guys ever hear Jon's early versions of his tunes from STG? A Horse's Tail - Bell Stinks - Bell Clinks.
    This guy has not.

Negative ghostrider.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Gotz my tickets for this little ditty. Anyone else going? Oh... had to buy plane tickets too. haha 77091685_986085875088628_7690476351823806464_o.jpg

Was thinking about it hard but it's unfortunately not going to work for me.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Was thinking about it hard but it's unfortunately not going to work for me.
    bummer... I wanted to go this month to the big Spratleys/Panixphere gig - family obligations though - so I'll take another Admiral's show. Love those.

Leaving this here - Spratleys fans - rejoice!

John Gee - Guitars, Vocals
    Jesse Cutts - Bass, Guitars, Vocals, Keys
    Jo Spratley - Vocals on Fragil

https://heavylamb.bandcamp.com/album...s-hill-ep-no-1

Gloomy News on the bumming shed DVD

That image was on the back on the ABC Convention bill... or booklet... thingy from last week. I think it's safe to say its official - sort of. haha The very beginning of that As Cold As Can Be clip has the back end of Gloomy News... I'm dying to see that!!
    Since being introduced to Cardiacs about 6 months ago (I know, I'm a latecomer to the party), I've been absolutely obsessed with everything about them, as seems to be the way of such things when one's life is injected with the overpowering rush of such music. I must have watched "Some Fairytales From The Rotten Shed" nearly a hundred times since then and, with my increasing Cardiacs knowledge, a new thing appears to me each time. Not least in this list of things is the fact that, as Phlakaton says, there's a clip of "Gloomy News" in the YouTube clip preceding "As Cold As Can Be In An English Sea"... but there's no "Gloomy News" on the DVD itself.

I assume that the DVD is the edited version of the rehearsals for the "Special Garage Concerts" releases so that must mean there's a whole load of stuff on the cutting room floor. I don't suppose anyone knows where to get such material or, like a lot of Cardiacs stuff, you just had to be there at the time or you lose out?

Also, seeing as I'm a bit of a completist, does anyone know of any tracks they played live that were never actually recorded? And whether a decent quality version of "The Obvious Identity" and the first EP with "A Bus For A Bus On The Bus" exists as, for some reason, I find myself enthralled more with the early "nightmare fairground and sea shanties" sound than the later releases.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hinge View Post
    Since being introduced to Cardiacs about 6 months ago (I know, I'm a latecomer to the party), I've been absolutely obsessed with everything about them, as seems to be the way of such things when one's life is injected with the overpowering rush of such music. I must have watched "Some Fairytales From The Rotten Shed" nearly a hundred times since then and, with my increasing Cardiacs knowledge, a new thing appears to me each time. Not least in this list of things is the fact that, as Phlakaton says, there's a clip of "Gloomy News" in the YouTube clip preceding "As Cold As Can Be In An English Sea"... but there's no "Gloomy News" on the DVD itself.

I assume that the DVD is the edited version of the rehearsals for the "Special Garage Concerts" releases so that must mean there's a whole load of stuff on the cutting room floor. I don't suppose anyone knows where to get such material or, like a lot of Cardiacs stuff, you just had to be there at the time or you lose out?

Also, seeing as I'm a bit of a completist, does anyone know of any tracks they played live that were never actually recorded? And whether a decent quality version of "The Obvious Identity" and the first EP with "A Bus For A Bus On The Bus" exists as, for some reason, I find myself enthralled more with the early "nightmare fairground and sea shanties" sound than the later releases.
    Gloomy News is indeed missing - they played it at the DVD party they put on as far as I know. Someone will need to verify that since I wasnt able to go. I landed in Cardiacs land about 5 years ago now - and it took me a solid year or so to GET IT. Hated the chanting nature and the very British-ness of the singing at first - now it's my favorite part... or close. There are good copies floating around of the Toy World tape (ahem)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hinge View Post

Welcome aboard the train, my friend!

I didn't get into Cardiacs until mid-2015, so I'm really not knowledgeable enough to shed any light on your questions. I just wanted to say "welcome", and that I'm glad you're loving this music so much. I went through a similar experience, where I was listening to them every day (often repeating the same album multiple times per day). It's addictive and absolutely wonderful stuff once it hits.

I can perhaps shed a little light on the frustrating omission of Gloomy News.
    Tim had edited all the music portions and the inside the shed sections, we put some highlights on YouTube with the hope of finishing it fairly soon after before the miserable events of June 2008 spoiled everything.

Along with all the other projects we were working on, everything was on Tim’s computer(s), various hard drives and other data storing engines that I don’t really understand about.
    Things surrounding Tim were so desperate and fraught over the next few years that followed, that nothing was done to retrieve anything. Cardiacs was the last thing on our minds...there were far more pressing issues of Tim’s health, care etc. Also, legally there was a lot of bullshit surrounding Alphabet which meant we were unable to release any Cardiacs stuff, hence old CD’s exchanging hands for up to £500 on eBay! That’s why Bic and Jo had the idea of doing the tribute album to raise money for Tim at the time.
    As things levelled a bit and Mary took over the ship properly, Tim was able to find a better, albeit frustrating, way of communication and was keen to start tying up loose ends (the second Sea Nymphs album, for instance) we realised a lot of the software was now obsolete.
    Our friend, filmmaker Paul Morricone (from the sensational Scarabanga Six), took on the unenviable task of completing the film to Tim’s instructions. Whatever you see on the DVD is what he had available. There was no sign of Gloomy News.
    For what it’s worth I remember us recording Hope Day and To Go Off And Things too (Hope Day because I was pretty pleased with my snazzy guitar playing of the mad fast keyboard tune on the original and there was a nice close up of my fingers! To Go Off I remember being treated in this nightmarish monochromatic way during the ‘Squa-lor-is! At large! In tidy sub-ur-bia!’ section.)
    All attempts to locate these in the mass of obsolete formats, broken gear and mildew have proved unsuccessful, sadly.
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 12-11-2019 at 02:36 PM.