Page 9 of 185 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Just compare the vocal approach on Dirty Boy and Animal Nitrate

also this type of style of drumming - very tight powerful "rock" yet sort of basic or simple technique - serving the music well but for me lacking in some sort of finesse or "grace"
    my english oohhhh

hmmmmm....I'm not finding the vocals all that similar except in that they both sound very "British" and musically I don't think there is any noticeable intersect.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    eh??
    oh dear...
    Gong

Seriously I hear more Madness and Suede
    I guess I should clarify a bit: when I said I find parallels between Gong and Cardiacs, I wasn't thinking stylistically per se (although I'm sure they have crossed musical paths from time to time), rather the pure aesthetics that each group exemplifies. Well, meaning, you hear one note and you know what band it is immediately. They have both managed to create their own sonic universe, which is completely original and unique. I gues you can add a ton of groups in there, but these bands are not derivative at all. One big difference is the whole improvisation aspect - one has some and one has almost none!

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I don't get the Suede comparison at all.
    Who is suede?

See above, under Dirty Boy in Udi's post.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    See above, under Dirty Boy in Udi's post.

a-ha. thx.

Just read the the whole thread.
    I Dl'ed the sampler tracks from the ABC website some time ago, listened and liked, but....it didn't really click. Then a couple days ago they came up on a random shuffle and I was like "WTF is this COOL shit on my iPod that I've ignored?"

I think there are a few factors that may put folks "off" the Cardiacs. First, they're, uhm, very "English." Of course, so is Genesis, and there's a sense of "whimsy" common to both bands, IMO--but instead of being "pastoral" they are, as someone else said here, "Hyperactive." Jeez, are they! Soooooo much energy in this stuff--it comes across at first blush as "punk," which, you know, is like kryptonite for some proggers. Too bad, their loss.

I'll tell you what-Youtube has some stuff that includes full albums. Normally I wouldn't do this, but I took the "On Earth.." and spliced it up into tracks and stuck it in my iPod I'm such a happy guy right now, you have no idea. But I didn't even think of DL'ing on iTunes, and I will do that for a few other albums. But you can count on me buying the releases when they're available again.

Because, quite frankly, this shit is genius.

One other comment--anyone who digs XTC needs to hear Cardiacs, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    a-ha. thx.
    Cardiacs are nothing like A-Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Maybe, but IMHO it does not work opposite way ...

why not? both are among the greatest bands ever. though the sound of the bands arent really similar both Partridge and Smith have some rather impeccible songwriting skills. to be honest I don't really know what other Cardiacs fans like - in general they tend to like Magma and Zappa, otherwise they're kind of an eclectic bunch...

Almost every member of Cardiacs loves XTC as far as I know. I always heard similarities, not so much harmonically... although The Beatles' influence is fairly clear in both bands, but more in the attention to detail and both groups reliance on very strong melodies and chords. Cardiacs's music is much more psychedelic and far out to my ears but I've always felt they weren't a million miles apart.
    There is something very concise about the songs too. Neither have any particularly extraneous sections, complexity is there to serve the tune rather than for its own sake.

Also, on a trivial note...and this is speaking as a fan rather than a member, both bands rarely have guitar solos but when they do THEY ARE THE BEST GUITAR SOLOS IN THE WORLD.

well I can talk only on my behalf...I was familiar with XTC before Cardiacs and though XTC songs are very sophisticated pop-rock, they do not appeal to my "progressive" (not "prog") sensibilities like Cardiacs music does...

for me, one band that music triggers similar sensations to Cardiacs’ music is Uz Jsme Doma…all the intensity, craziness, changes, fusion of sounds, singing...I am not claiming that the music is that similar though

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Just read the the whole thread.
    I Dl'ed the sampler tracks from the ABC website some time ago, listened and liked, but....it didn't really click. Then a couple days ago they came up on a random shuffle and I was like "WTF is this COOL shit on my iPod that I've ignored?"

I think there are a few factors that may put folks "off" the Cardiacs. First, they're, uhm, very "English." Of course, so is Genesis, and there's a sense of "whimsy" common to both bands, IMO--but instead of being "pastoral" they are, as someone else said here, "Hyperactive." Jeez, are they! Soooooo much energy in this stuff--it comes across at first blush as "punk," which, you know, is like kryptonite for some proggers. Too bad, their loss.

I'll tell you what-Youtube has some stuff that includes full albums. Normally I wouldn't do this, but I took the "On Earth.." and spliced it up into tracks and stuck it in my iPod I'm such a happy guy right now, you have no idea. But I didn't even think of DL'ing on iTunes, and I will do that for a few other albums. But you can count on me buying the releases when they're available again.

Because, quite frankly, this shit is genius.

Love reading this!!

Welcome to Cardiacs, bro.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Also, on a trivial note...and this is speaking as a fan rather than a member, both bands rarely have guitar solos but when they do THEY ARE THE BEST GUITAR SOLOS IN THE WORLD.
    They certainly are gems, at least what I've heard so far. RES and Fiery Gun Hand are two of the most notable to me.

FZ will always hold the holy grail of guitar solos for me. 10 minute guitar solo? Yes, please.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    FZ will always hold the holy grail of guitar solos for me. 10 minute guitar solo? Yes, please.
    what do you think of this ?
    Would Uncle Frank approve ?

[QUOTE=Progmatic;128972]

for me, one band that music triggers similar sensations to Cardiacs’ music is Uz Jsme Doma…all the intensity, craziness, changes, fusion of sounds, singing...I am not claiming that the music is that similar though

Well done that man! I was just thinking I would mention Uz Jsme Doma, for indeed they do come very close to Cardiacs in style . Like Cardiacs they combine progressive and punk but in Uz Jsme Doma's case it was as a result of being on the wrong side of the iron curtain when progressive happened. When they did start to hear English music in the early 80's on smuggled in cassettes they heard everything from ELP to the Damned at the same time. Their music contains very complex structures and very tightly written songs with raw energy and they've had a consistent runs of excellent albums for over 25 years. Cardiacs fans should definitely seek them out, as long as they don't have a problem with Czech vocals. This was a great choice of video too -the only song with some English words and I've never seen it before -excellent!

chalkpie
    Kavus or whomever - Is Tim blowing the solo on Piffol One Time? It's so Zappa like! Really tells a narrative and I love how the band is right there with him the entire time.

I was going to post "Loosefish Scapegrace" here, but oddly enough YT only has the live version. Gotta here the clean production of the studio (Songs for Ships....) version. What a fuckin killer tune - holy shit.

chalkpie
    Is there a Piffol Two times?

With perhaps the exception of a clarinet, Tim is playing all the instruments on the Piffol pieces. All this while he was still a teenager. Remarkable.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    With perhaps the exception of a clarinet, Tim is playing all the instruments on the Piffol pieces. All this while he was still a teenager. Remarkable.
    That is insane. Amazing.

chalkpie

chalkpie

chalkpie
    These are very recent pictures of Tim that were posted at The Mares Nest. Its so great to see him.

I can't figure out how to post larger pics of him, but if click on those, they do expand.

Love you Tim.

Thanks for those photos chalky. I'll have a look on my rarities cassette but I don't recall a Piffol Two Times.

It was thanks to the extreme Zappaness of Piffol that a friend introduced me to the Hot Rats album, thinking I'd like it, he was right. 'Cos when I heard Peaches en Regalia for the 1st time it was a moment of revelation "Ah ha so that's where Cardiacs got it from" But some of the stuff on Burnt Weeny Sandwich clearly had even more of an influence on the lads than Hot Rats.