Page 93 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    It's up there for me, although, perversely enough, I like Mare's Nest the very best.
    I have a difficult time with that DVD. Sound is compressed to oblivion. The CD is a little better, I think.

Mare's Nest has the best "To Go Off & Things". Eight minutes of inner-space rock. Bugger me!
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

One of my favourite things about Maresnest is seeing Jon Poole (with hair!) playing air drums like he's at a Rush gig.

Edit: 2:49 into this

Quote Originally Posted by arthurfrayn View Post
    Thanks for sharing the Dirty Boy cover, chalk pie. Great job on that they did. Actually there's another more acoustic version on youTube that's very good as well. The covers show how compelling and inextricably moving the melody for that song is...

Maybe this one?

It's up there for me, although, perversely enough, I like Mare's Nest the very best.
    At the moment, Mare's Nest as a live document might be THE choice if I were asked to choose one live album to live with for a while (maybe not for eternity). Yeah, its pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Mare's Nest has the best "To Go Off & Things". Eight minutes of inner-space rock. Bugger me!
    Yes!

As one of the hugest Cardiacs fans in the world, it pains me to say this, but this thread has been getting very circular over the last ten or so pages, with lots of repetition. So a request to new visitors.....Please, please, please read through some of the previous NINETY THREE pages before posting. You WILL find many nuggets there to enjoy. And MOST of your questions are already answered.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Yes!
    +1 KILLER.

PeterG, is that you selling the CD singles „Signs“ and “Odd Even”? Both are allegedly “new” and “some monies will be donated to our beloved Timmy from the sale of this”.

No, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    As one of the hugest Cardiacs fans in the world, it pains me to say this, but this thread has been getting very circular over the last ten or so pages, with lots of repetition. So a request to new visitors.....Please, please, please read through some of the previous NINETY THREE pages before posting. You WILL find many nuggets there to enjoy. And MOST of your questions are already answered.
    Talk in circles all you want - we need to get this thread to 100 pages (and beyond).

NP - Sibelius - Spring Song (original version)

No, not me.
    Ah see, thanks. I might try my luck regardless.

Talk in circles all you want - we need to get this thread to 100 pages (and beyond).
    That and keeping it on page one is the main objective.

Anyway, since we’re here anyway: Something I always wanted to ask you all: Everyone has different favorites, but which song would you say best epitomizes all that you love about Cardiacs?

I’ll nominate “The Everso Closely Guarded Line”. It’s probably Cardiacs’ most overt nod to their progressive influences, its arrangement arguably reminiscent of early Genesis, without copying them in the least. Whenever I tried to make a Cardiacs sampler, it’s always the closing song. I’d go as far as say: If you don’t at least like TECGL, Cardiacs just isn’t your thing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's only on page 58 for me, maybe my screen setup?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Anyway, since we’re here anyway: Something I always wanted to ask you all: Everyone has different favorites, but which song would you say best epitomizes all that you love about Cardiacs?

I’ll nominate “The Everso Closely Guarded Line”. It’s probably Cardiacs’ most overt nod to their progressive influences, its arrangement arguably reminiscent of early Genesis, without copying them in the least. Whenever I tried to make a Cardiacs sampler, it’s always the closing song. I’d go as far as say: If you don’t at least like TECGL, Cardiacs just isn’t your thing.
    The Everso Closely Guarded Line is a great track, quite epic actually. It reminds me of VDGG a little bit. Good choice.

If forced to pick a single song of theirs that distills all I love about Cardiacs, it would probably be Goodbye Grace from HBaEB. A bit manic, very exuberant, and also gleefully flippant (IMHO), plus it's chock full of fun melodies.

A close runner-up might be Cry Wet Smile Dry, but it's hard to really pick just one.

Pete - So are you asking what is "wrong" with the CD version? .
    yes, the first version of the CD.

NP - Sibelius - Spring Song (original version)
    Shut the fugg up! Right now I'm listening to Finlandia! There we have our third one then me old mucker!

Actually, I think once before we compiled a kind of top 20 of bands and composers with which aspiring Cardiacs Pond fishies ought to acquaint themselves, I seem to remember it included stuff like: Gentle Giant, Vaughan Williams, King Crimson, Sibelius, Bartok, Zappa, Squeeze, XTC, Eno, ELP, Britten, Varese.....etc....

Gentle Giant, Vaughan Williams, King Crimson, Sibelius, Bartok, Zappa, Squeeze, XTC, Eno, ELP, Britten, Varese.....etc....
    Bartók can never hurt. Around 8:51 of this Divertimento is a very brief melody that screams Cardiacs.

Either

The Duck And Roger The Horse
    or
    Fiery Gun Hand
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Bartók can never hurt. Around 8:51 of this Divertimento is a very brief melody that screams Cardiacs.
    Bartók is a love of mine... maybe my Cardiacs love center is sharing some piece of my jello?

Either

or
    Fiery Gun Hand
    DUDE. My two choices too. My anthem for all time is now Fiery Gun Hand --- but that face melter guitar on The Duck and Roger The Horse - HOLY $(@#@

Burn Your House Brown would round out my top 3

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Either

or
    Fiery Gun Hand
    Throw in R.E.S. and you have my 3.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post

Maybe this one?
    That's the one!
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 03-21-2016 at 07:08 PM.

That and keeping it on page one is the main objective.

It would be Duck and Roger the Horse. Nothing like anything I've heard from anyone else, really.