Page 90 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I "tried" to play along to some this weekend... 50/50 --- must become FAR more familiar before this will happen. haha.
    I did the same with CD2 of the Garage Barrage yesterday while being in a "verdant" state of mind. Thought I knew the songs, but oh boy…playing that stuff is different matter altogether.

Bob Leith is a great drummer, a lot to be learned from that guy…
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Meanwhile, it’s just another normal day at the office for Jon Poole.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    "In the Corner of Sin"
    The end bit of which reappears in... Joining The Plankton?

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Meanwhile, it’s just another normal day at the office for Jon Poole.
    This might be one of the greatest things ever

Meanwhile, he is spotted down the street 16 minutes later.........

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    This might be one of the greatest things ever
    Yeah…try pulling THAT off at the next “jour fix” or “daily scrum” or whatever meetings are called these days.

BTW, George Starostin has started reviewing Cardiacs' albums here. So far, none have been granted the "thumbs-up"...
    Last edited by at least 100 dead; 03-14-2016 at 07:35 AM.

Kavus' unperturbed reaction makes the above video for me

bruce-forsyth.jpg
    "You're a mentally ill freak"

More Poole madness

Meanwhile, it’s just another normal day at the office

If Jon doesn't have ADD/ADHD and Aspergers like I do, I'd be very surprised. These are the kind of outbursts that amuse me too on a daily basis.

If you enjoy the tranquil/pastoral Cardiacs (e.g. Eden, Billions, Safety Bowl et al), you’re in for a treat w/ the Sea Nymphs. It’s absolutely sublime IMO.
    I agree, however if you think Sea Nymphs is sublime wait till you hear Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake.

Cardiacs--where to start?

You know I have Mr and Mrs and love Cardiacs and Sea Nymphs, and for some reason I've never played it! Same story for Spratleys Japs. I think I bought them and subsequently got distracted by schoolwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Go back and play them, they are great.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    You know I have Mr and Mrs and love Cardiacs and Sea Nymphs, and for some reason I've never played it! Same story for Spratleys Japs. I think I bought them and subsequently got distracted by schoolwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, what is Sprately's Japs like? Any similarities to something I might know?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It sounds like a little less punky Cardiacs. For me it is the secret extra Cardiacs album. So ssshhhhh....do not tell anyone. Its a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    More Poole madness

From a 2009 interview with JP:

Is there a type of music you listen to that would surprise your audience?

Yes! As you can probably tell I do not give a shit about listening to stuff that’s supposedly “cool”. Probably why I don’t feel [a need] to listen to The Velvet Underground or Nick Cave. I don’t like ’em. As simple as that. I don’t think other people should not listen to them so why is it that other people think I SHOULD.

I like some incredibly embarrassing stuff from the 80’s but I know no shame. As far as I can see I’ve broadened my own musical possibilities by listening to what is perceived as shit music. So here goes: Level 42, Nik Kershaw, Kajagoogoo, Thompson Twins…the list is endless!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    If Jon doesn't have ADD/ADHD and Aspergers like I do, I'd be very surprised. These are the kind of outbursts that amuse me too on a daily basis.
    For sure he has a true ability to listen to something and absorb the essence of it, understanding the formulas behind it and all the patterns.... it's incredible how his songs are really Cardiacs style on Sing to God, as well as some on The Dowling Poole or any other of his works are really channeling, in a very good and personal way, someone else's work... I'm a bit like this, I think Steven Wilson is like that too, maybe just a bit less genius and more a hard-worker anyway...

However, I'm italian and I can't real understand what's happening in the video? Is that a joke or Jon is really acting like that? Can't really understand what he's saying either...

Jon is channelling Bruce Forsythe in this vid. This is after a show in Stoke On Trent on the 2007 tour when Jon's band The Goddamn Whores were supporting Cardiacs.

Jon is one of my favourite people on this sad brown planet. Our less than enthusiastic response is more down to the fact that this 'skit' had been a common occurrence throughout the previous ten years or so.

But yeah, his ability to take a style or artist and write incredibly convincingly and accurately in that way is mindblowing.
    He is also an AMAZING drummer and keyboard player with the most extraordinary memory for music.

You could walk up to a piano, bash your hands down in a random fashion on the keys and he would be able to identify every note in the 'chord' and repeat it back.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    One of my favorite SJ tunes - the ending section of this tune slays me. VERY complex pattern too, try counting that sucker.

Another amazing tune IMO:

So if Lifesigns Jon's main gig at the moment? I have only seen that one tune live on YT - its certainly top shelf performance-wise - but I'm not sure that it would keep my attention on repeated listens? Does anybody here own that DVD and can comment?

"Good guy, good guy, good guy, GOOD GUY, Good guy.......good guy, good guy, good guy, fucking good guy, good GUY, GOOD GUY, good guy, fucking good guy, good guy, good guy, good, guy, good guy, good guy, good guy, good guy, GOOD GUY.....!"

Am I even close?

'Good game.'
    It's one of Bruce Forsythe's catchphrases.