Page 80 of 185 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    The Duck and Roger The Horse Holy shit! Love. IT.
    There it is! Welcome to the Pond, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker View Post
    Sing to God is the best double album ever, by far. No filler.

While I agree it is a great double album, it is my least favourite Cardiacs album.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    While I agree it is a great double album, it is my least favourite Cardiacs album.
    Glad I have some company.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Glad I have some company.
    As a noob to this album... and knowing what I've absorbed so far - it intimidates the hell out of me. Lots of tracks... lots of density. It'll take me a while to soak this one in.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    There it is! Welcome to the Pond, my friend.
    Growing up with a lot of punk on from my older brother... I knew it was only a matter of time. You guys told me so... I listened to all of you - Khan put that alien worm thing in my ear. If I get a bonus from work soon - Steve - you'll see a nice giant Cardiacs order from me. I thought last night - wonder how much it would cost to buy ALL of it at once. lol

Re Sing to God, it's horses for course, and I'm just glad that Cardiacs can have a fanbase with such a wide appreciation of their work. I love all the Cardiacs Albums, would say that it's close with STG and OLAITS as my favourite. Although Guns is getting A LOT of plays at the moment, it's really hitting the spot.

For me as a fan from the late 80s, STG never felt like a Cardiacs album. I far prefer Guns. There is too much on STG that irritates me.
    1. Sfs&i
    2. Hb&eb
    3. Olaits
    4. Seaside
    5. M&ms&md

That's basically how I feel about Heaven Born, too half cooked and transitional.

I love them all. There's not many bands I can say that about. ��

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Growing up with a lot of punk on from my older brother... I knew it was only a matter of time. You guys told me so... I listened to all of you - Khan put that alien worm thing in my ear. If I get a bonus from work soon - Steve - you'll see a nice giant Cardiacs order from me. I thought last night - wonder how much it would cost to buy ALL of it at once. lol
    Wayside is where I bought all of my Cardiacs CDs from -- still have one or two left to round out the collection.

You've inspired me to listen to StG again. Been a few weeks since I've spun that one.

Listening to Dog-Like Sparky now. Ah... I've missed these guys. Been on a bit of a jazz and fusion bender lately, so it's nice to get kicked in the face by some Cardiacs again.
    Last edited by aith01; 11-10-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Been on a bit of a jazz and fusion bender lately, so it's nice to get kicked in the face by some Cardiacs again.
    Cardiacs will definitely do that!

Cardiacs--where to start?

The problem with StG is the mix. It's painful to sit through and ear fatiguing. That said, in certain moods I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, but the music on STG is transcendent!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    The problem with StG is the mix. It's painful to sit through and ear fatiguing. That said, in certain moods I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I too found that fatigued response after disc 1... it makes those sections of clarity and open music that much more amazing though. :P

chalkpie
    I played disc one of StG last night on my home system at a medium-lowish volume - sounded stellar. Rotel electronics/B&W speakers. No fatigue present.

The album itself has become a favorite and all-time classic of mine at this point. I'd say this and Joe's Garage are my two (2) desert-island double albums. "Dirty Boy" still might be the last song I would ever want to hear if things were coming to an abrupt end. It used to be the andante moderato movement of Mahler 6, but I've "grown up" . I can't express in words how much I love that f'ing tune.

Cardiacs are a band that I can honestly say i love pretty much every tune and album. That is rare for me.

chalkpie
    My two cents on the StG sonics: At a high volume, it can certainly be harsh on the upper mids/highs and can rip your fuckin' head off, however, if its played at a reasonable volume (which isn't quite as much fun), it really sounds tolerable and non-fatiguing TONALITY wise. It terms of the music itself, its so energetic and in-your-face that it can overwhelm the uninitiated or folks who have a low tolerance for that sort of thing. In terms of the actual mix, I think it sounds pretty stellar and there is actually a lot of clarity across the sonic spectrum for an album that is as dense as it is.

In terms of the music, don't get me started. One of the very best rock albums ever made by anybody. The playing is world-class, the production is breathtaking, and the melodies and harmonic structure are flat-out in a class of its own. Its really The White Album of the 90's, only 2,000,000 times more interesting . IMO of course.

Chalk pie, I'm with you 100% !

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpybunker View Post
    Chalk pie, I'm with you 100% !

Sing To God is the ultimate Cardiacs album for me, but I do love all of them (including Heaven Born And Ever Bright)!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My two cents on the StG sonics: At a high volume, it can certainly be harsh on the upper mids/highs and can rip your fuckin' head off, however, if its played at a reasonable volume (which isn't quite as much fun), it really sounds tolerable and non-fatiguing TONALITY wise. It terms of the music itself, its so energetic and in-your-face that it can overwhelm the uninitiated or folks who have a low tolerance for that sort of thing. In terms of the actual mix, I think it sounds pretty stellar and there is actually a lot of clarity across the sonic spectrum for an album that is as dense as it is.

In terms of the music, don't get me started. One of the very best rock albums ever made by anybody. The playing is world-class, the production is breathtaking, and the melodies and harmonic structure are flat-out in a class of its own. Its really The White Album of the 90's, only 2,000,000 times more interesting . IMO of course.
    I think its mainly a headphone and in my case - earbuds problem. On a large speaker setup I think it would be fine. Its not all that bad though. Pretty nice really.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    In terms of the music, don't get me started. One of the very best rock albums ever made by anybody.
    What he said! Except that I would skip the 'one of'

No problems with the sonics at all. Maybe just the two metally ones ( A horses tail and Angleworm Angel) sound a bit too harsh.

I like StG fine - a lot. I like the sequence of the tunes on each disc. I don't know if there are any tunes I dislike. It's just that I view them as 2 albums of similar weight and mass, and have yet to get to the point where I see the album as a whole. I personally like Guns better because in addition to being more concise, it feels like it's going in a still further direction while keeping that distinctive Cardiacs take on things. It saddens me we don't hear what comes next. For me their last is one of their best -after turning out a consistent run of great stuff!
    My other fav is On the Land and in the Sea, which is my absolute favorite of theirs and I now personally regard as one of the top progressive rock albums of all time. Truly progressive in all the ways that the word means anything.

What just happened was that I just ran through the tunes on STG disc one, and forgot how much I liked it. I've been listening to disc 2 because I had spent so much time listening to disc 1, I never got around to it. Tomorrow let's spin it again. It's overdue.
    Last edited by arthurfrayn; 11-11-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Guns is holding strong as my favorite right now and it was my first real game changer to falling in love with this band... but damn ALMAAHTWWW is coming on so strong. I can hear the maturity in Guns and the slightly evolved approach... or maybe I'm just crazy. Doesnt Guns have something a bit different going on?

If we hit 2,000 posts, does this thread go Platinum?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Let's find out....