Page 76 of 185 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086126176 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I'm still trying to appreciate HB&EB!
    My comments were after a single half-listen to the album, so take anything I said with a grain of salt.

Good grief... "She Hides Behind The Shed" and "Goodbye Grace" are smacking me upside the head right now.

It's a good thing!

As I am new here, just wanted to say whats up to the Cardiacs fans. Seems like the biggest collection (or just a few very vocal) fans on the net, so wanted to cast my net with yall.

Anyways, I first heard Sing to God in 2007 and I can easily say that it is my longest gestating album to go from liking it until finally getting the band about a year ago. At first the only songs I really got where the very immediate ones like Eat it up worms hero, Dog-Like Sparky, Fiery Gun Hand, Dirty Boy and Nurses Whispering Verses. I had listened to Little Man and On Land... as well back in the day but nothing stuck with me from those albums at the time. Finally last year Sing To God totally clicked with me and it was on repeat for many weeks. Then that opened up all of their later material for me, but still had trouble with Little Man and Seaside. I took a break for about a year with only listening to a few tracks here and there and am currently back in another Cardiacs kick and I hope it never stops. Fully got into The Garage Concerts which makes listening to their early material more rewarding, although you can beat the performances on TGC! I also just bought the STG vinyl and Cardiacs shirt from their webstore as an extra show of support. Now I can wear my Cardiacs shirt to shows in Texas and will be the coolest person there!

Okay, so I played HB&EB the other night and loved it. It occurred to me that it's a unique album in the catalog - heck, it's a unique album in my collection. Something about the obnoxious production was actually endearing. It's only taken two years ...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Good grief... "She Hides Behind The Shed" and "Goodbye Grace" are smacking me upside the head right now.

It's a good thing!
    Still my favourite album from the 4-man Cardiacs

Okay, so I played HB&EB the other night and loved it. It occurred to me that it's a unique album in the catalog - heck, it's a unique album in my collection. Something about the obnoxious production was actually endearing. It's only taken two years ...
    Having heard all the older albums before HB & EB was released and being used to that sound, the first time I heard it I was not impressed, but it only took 2 or 3 listens and I was hooked, still my fav Cardiacs LP.

Jon Poole can be currently found here...

Another Cardiacs newbie here.

Stumbled across the Tarred and Feathered video about a month ago and now I fear they are consuming my life.

Melodies and chord changes swim around my head all day and night. I have all the albums but keep going back to Sing to God over and over again - never has an album given me so many chills and goosebumps.

I love em and can't get enough - I don't feel I need to need to listen to anyone else now.

Quote Originally Posted by hamblehound View Post

Stumbled across the Tarred and Feathered video about a month ago and now I fear they are consuming my life.

Melodies and chord changes swim around my head all day and night. I have all the albums but keep going back to Sing to God over and over again - never has an album given me so many chills and goosebumps.

I love em and can't get enough - I don't feel I need to need to listen to anyone else now.
    Hey, I know what you mean.

Sing To God is probably the album I've revisited most, if for no other reason than there is so much going on with those two discs. Really astounding stuff.

Do you have a favorite song so far?

Cardiacs are incredibly addicting, but that's okay.

Glad to see I'm not the only newbie around these parts.
    Last edited by aith01; 09-13-2015 at 03:12 AM.

Seem to keep circulating the same 8 tracks and hearing new things each time with them

Favourites so far:

T.V.T.V
    As cold as can be in an English Sea
    Stoneage Dinosaurs
    Two bites of the cherry
    Signs
    Dog Like Sparky
    Fiery Gun Hand
    Fairy Mary Mag
    Dirty Boy

Welcome... definitely a group that can consume you for months if you let them.

When you finally get through the albums there are the side projects .

I'm obsessed with this tune.

"I could walk with angels, but I'd rather walk with you ... "

I'm obsessed with this tune.

"I could walk with angels, but I'd rather walk with you ... "
    My contender for the most beautiful melody ever written

chalkpie

Welcome man! And enjoy!

chalkpie
    Yes.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Still my favourite album from the 4-man Cardiacs
    Yes.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My contender for the most beautiful melody ever written
    Yes.

chalkpie
    "Dirty Boy" in the car on the way home from 'Meet the Teacher Night'. I played it way too loud (of course), but at moments the tune is powerful and unbelievable, I almost can't believe it even exists. I know that makes pretty much no sense, but its almost too perfect in my mind. I really don't know what the F I'm saying, except I love it more than I can communicate to you and that's that.

My goosebumps get goosebumps with Dirty Boy. Such a phenomenal song.

Just when you think the tension cant be build any higher, the song does just that.
    And again,
    And again,
    And again,

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-P5110 met Tapatalk

chalkpie
    Right on man! Its really great to see a newbie here who "gets" the power and incredible emotion of this tune. Please keep posting about any tunes that blow you away - I still have new ones every couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Right on man! Its really great to see a newbie here who "gets" the power and incredible emotion of this tune. Please keep posting about any tunes that blow you away - I still have new ones every couple of weeks.
    +1 on this..this one and Fiery Gun Hand are my personal faves from StG.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    +1 on this..this one and Fiery Gun Hand are my personal faves from StG.
    I think I agree with you - but then there are so many other amazing tunes that it all becomes so confusing to choose favorites. I'll tell you "Dog Like Sparky", "Odd Even" and even "Eden on the Air" aren't far behind. The whole thing is just ridiculously insane.

Dirty Boy, genius. I'd say more, but the cold medicine is kicking in and I'm feeling another nap coming on ...