Page 74 of 185 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was of the same opinion through the first four or five listens, today it was certainly connecting.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Okay...I've been silently following this thread for awhile now, and I think (especially considering the Wayside sale) that I ought to make an effort to get into this crazy band. Which one or two albums should I start with, being a newbie and all? I've been thinking "A Little Man" or "On Land and Sea," as those were recommended quite a bit at the start of the thread, but was wondering if the rest of you all have any other input.
    Last edited by MDC; 08-13-2015 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDC View Post
    Okay...I've been silently following this thread for awhile now, and I think (especially considering the Wayside sale) that I ought to make an effort to get into this crazy band. Which one or two albums should I start with, being a newbie and all? I've been thinking "A Little Man" and "On Land and Sea," as those were recommended quite a bit at the start of the thread, but was wondering if the rest of you all have any other input.
    As a recent convert, all it took to get the ball rolling for me was On Land And In The Sea -- I was hooked after that. However, that is just my two cents; your mileage may vary, and I would recommend taking the advice of the experts over my own.

Oh boy, here we go again! *cracks knuckles*

A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window. $15.30

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...D-spc-007.aspx

Okay...I've been silently following this thread for awhile now, and I think (especially considering the Wayside sale) that I ought to make an effort to get into this crazy band. Which one or two albums should I start with, being a newbie and all? I've been thinking "A Little Man" or "On Land and Sea," as those were recommended quite a bit at the start of the thread, but was wondering if the rest of you all have any other input.
    I will always recommend Sing to God, even if my first exposure was On land and in the sea....

For a first purchase, i'd always suggest Songs for Ships and Irons as the selection is a little wider in terms of whacky, typical Cardiacs (Tarred and Feathered), anthemic (Big Ship), complex (Loosefish Scapegrace) and poppy. Its got a really cross-section of what Cardiacs MK1 were about at the time. If you can't find anything in this collection that doesn't stir the soul, you haven't got one.

OLaiTS/Sing to God are my favourites, but i still think SfSaI is possibly the best entry point for a newbie.

I would start with 'a Little man' and 'Songs for Ships and Irons'.

For me Sing to God is their magnum opus (and incidentally also the best album ever recorded) but I do not think this is the best starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I will always recommend Sing to God, even if my first exposure was On land and in the sea....
    Agree with Sterbus. Sing to God was my first, but On Land is also a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    As a recent convert, all it took to get the ball rolling for me was On Land And In The Sea -- I was hooked after that.
    That worked for me, too.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Songs For Ships And Irons

or

IF you like live albums and want to hear what they can do as a band

All That Glitters Is A Mare's Nest.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'd say Little Man and Land & Sea. Sing To God was actually my first but it's not necessarily right for everyone though it worked for me. You are probably going to get everything suggested here so you may need to treat it as a poll and add up the votes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, you'll need to get them all eventually. Either you love this band and need them all or you hate them. I've yet to find a casual Cardiacs fan.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    prog masterpiece – an “awaken” for the late 1980/early 1990s. i kid you not.
    <<raises an ear>>
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    <<raises an ear>>
    When the chorus section kicks in with the church organ, there is definitely an Awaken vibe for sure. Both songs are tremendous, and I have no problem placing Everso on that level. Awaken does go way lower in dynamics though.

chalkpie
    I might go in a different direction and get Greatest Hits as it gives a super-wide overview. The other advantage is someday when you "learn" about Faster than a Snake, you'll already have it

Or just get 'em all and be done with it.

I vote A Little man a House and the Whole World Window and Songs for Ships as the entry. But get them all, they are lifelong musical treasures
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Okay, so by my count:

A Little Man 5
    Songs for Ships 5
    Land and Sea 4
    Sing to God 1
    All that Glitters 1
    Greatest Hits 1

So...decisions.

Deep Cuts was fraught with tech issues last night, but at one point we needed a test, so we decided we needed a good 2 minute song. We settled on Arnald - which, even in the worst circumstances, still rocks.

chalkpie
    Okay, so by my count:

A Little Man 5
    Songs for Ships 5
    Land and Sea 4
    I think one copy of each will be just fine

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think one copy of each will be just fine
    It's hard to argue with Frank in this one. I agree.

Right now I'm hooked on Cry Wet Smile Dry, and Come Back Clammy Lammy. Holy cow, what crazy great songs those are. Love those synths and the sax on Lammy... How did this band escape my notice for so long?
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

"How did this band escape my notice for so long?"

I think this is always the general consensus. I'm not saying the refusal of the british music press in the mid-eighties to even acknowledge them ruined any chance the band had of being commercially successful (lets face it, it was always going to be an uphill struggle for them), but it could have been a totally different story if they'd had a few more reviews/articles etc, for more people to have given them ago at MK1's peak (ALMaHatWWW / OLaitS) period.

Its a major case of "What if?" On the other hand, would Cardiacs have developed they way they did with the attendant commercial/record company pressures that a bit more success would have brought them? Its an interesting thought.

^ There is almost no way Tim would have gone for a record deal anyway, even if that had been an option.
    Being completely autonomous allowed the band to create that extraordinary body of work completely independently.
    I know he was very upset by both the bile and disinterest they/ we received at the hands of the British music press, though.

"DaN: You've been D.I.Y. almost since the start with The Alphabet Business Concern. Is it by tradition or by lack of label interrest?

Tim: It's so that we can have control over what we record and release it when we like. We've had offers in the past, but we prefer our freedom really. If an openminded recordcompany approached us with a large wedge of money and said that we could proceed in the way that we do now, I'm sure we wouldn't turn it down. Although we seem to manage quite nicely, we're working on our 12th album now, so..."

This interview is great...
    http://www.thecorroseum.org/features/daa/cardiacs.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    I know he was very upset by both the bile and disinterest they/ we received at the hands of the British music press, though.
    That's a real shame I always had it in my head that he didn't care about the negative press and indeed he always seemed more bemused by the criticism when it was brought up in interviews rather than frustrated/sad. Fuck the press.

Hopefully he now realises that many new listeners are discovering and falling in love with his music all the time, this thread is evidence of that!

----------------------

Currently listening to some scratchy live recordings of Panixsphere (Tim, Jon, Bic and Dave from Levitation). Thrashy and noisy (and drunk) as fuck!
    Last edited by loosefish; 08-17-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I always had it in my head that he didn't care about the negative press and indeed he always seemed more bemused by the criticism when it was brought up in interviews rather than frustrated/sad. Fuck the press.
    I respect him even more for not giving in and pressing forward, despite the ire. It's not easy, but he and the band found a way to fight through.