Page 73 of 185 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dude - if you are just getting into this music, I offer you my sincerest congratulations. Your life is forever altered - I'm sure I have said this very thing many times before

There is not a single day that goes by in my life these days where I am not either thinking about Cardiacs or actually playing it. I have to actually force myself to NOT play this music in order to explore other stuff. Musical heroin.
    I have Guns on with my nice Shure earbuds - its a mind scramble. I think I was previously overwhelmed by it all... once I just stuck with this album and dug into it alone - everything started to work for me. It all seemed so chaotic as a whole before. Jitterbug is sitting really well atm. Love that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I have Guns on with my nice Shure earbuds - its a mind scramble. I think I was previously overwhelmed by it all... once I just stuck with this album and dug into it alone - everything started to work for me. It all seemed so chaotic as a whole before. Jitterbug is sitting really well atm. Love that one.
    Love Jitterbug as well.

Glad you're enjoying Guns so much. As a newbie to Cardiacs myself, having just "discovered" them in the last two months, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Is Guns the only Cardiacs album you've heard, or just the one you're currently getting into?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Love Jitterbug as well.

Glad you're enjoying Guns so much. As a newbie to Cardiacs myself, having just "discovered" them in the last two months, I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Is Guns the only Cardiacs album you've heard, or just the one you're currently getting into?
    I decided to just keep Guns on my rotation for a bit. Nothing more. I think once I get this vibe into my core - the rest will be like Christmas morning! The hang up for me was the vocals - but I think I've become more comfortable with them - the music was never the issue. That shitz is stupid good!

I decided to just keep Guns on my rotation for a bit. Nothing more. I think once I get this vibe into my core - the rest will be like Christmas morning! The hang up for me was the vocals - but I think I've become more comfortable with them - the music was never the issue. That shitz is stupid good!
    Ah, understood.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We are through 100,000 views on a thread about Cardiacs on a progboard, damn that makes me smile.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    We are through 100,000 views on a thread about Cardiacs on a progboard, damn that makes me smile.
    Keep it going!

PS - Did you get Guns yet? Curious your thoughts on it.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Keep it going!

I can tell ya this... I listened to it 3 times through at work today. I had a damn fine day.

chalkpie
    I can tell ya this... I listened to it 3 times through at work today. I had a damn fine day.
    Will Bleed Amen.

Is this the only Cardiacs you own? Have you heard Sing to God?

Keep it going!

it's sitting on my ever extending to buy list.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Guns was the one that i found most challenging to get into to be honest. I love it now, but it took a good half a dozen listens for all the component parts to coalesce into something that made sense in my head ... and i was a fairly long-standing Cardiacs fan at this point. As with all proper Cardiacs albums (not including Songs for Ships and Irons in this as its a compilation), it doesn't come across as a selection of songs, its got a consistency in tone and content throughout. Further evidence of TS's genius for songwriting, arrangement and production. Damn, i wish they'd dig up some new stuff (or re-purpose some old stuff) and get it out there.

I concur that Guns is unique in the catalog, as it is more an 'album' experience than most of their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Will Bleed Amen.

Is this the only Cardiacs you own? Have you heard Sing to God?
    Right now I have four albums sitting here my buddy let me borrow. Guns (which I'm currently blasting into my head and starting to get familiar with), Toy World, Ditzy Scene and Cardiacs Live. I really dont want to touch Live until I've heard the music from the albums first (kinda of a rule I have unless the music is new to that live setting only). I guess this is a wacky collection to start with? Anyway - Guns is settling in real nice.

I wonder if the Alphabet business concern can sue Google now, one thing for sure -
    Now everyone will think my shirts are a walking comercial to google

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    I wonder if the Alphabet business concern can sue Google now, one thing for sure -
    Now everyone will think my shirts are a walking comercial to google
    What's the reference? I haven't seen the google ad.
    Ian

Right now I have four albums sitting here my buddy let me borrow. Guns (which I'm currently blasting into my head and starting to get familiar with), Toy World, Ditzy Scene and Cardiacs Live. I really dont want to touch Live until I've heard the music from the albums first (kinda of a rule I have unless the music is new to that live setting only). I guess this is a wacky collection to start with? Anyway - Guns is settling in real nice.
    When you say albums, do you mean vinyl? Toy World and Ditzy Scene are super rare I think. I've never heard them!

Google has formed a new parent company called "Alphabet"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/te...ring.html?_r=0
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Google has formed a new parent company called "Alphabet"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/11/te...ring.html?_r=0
    My first reaction was : "shit, now I cant wear my big daisy ABC-Tshirt anymore. People will assume I am a google fan ".

Now I've had time to think about it I am looking forward to educate the ignorant masses about the wonderful splendors of the *real* Alphabet.

When you say albums, do you mean vinyl? Toy World and Ditzy Scene are super rare I think. I've never heard them!
    My friend has the cassette tape for Toy World. Got it from some auction if memory serves. He made a digital copy in case the cassette implodes. hehe. The other is on cd. I listened to a bit of Toy World this morning after seeing this post - has a demo quality - but the music is somewhere between punk and prog - although that is a quick assessment and someone else might be able to explain better.
    Last edited by Phlakaton; 08-12-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Listening to Redbus Noface again, this album is really starting to grow on me.
    Ian

I need to get that one.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Listening to Redbus Noface again, this album is really starting to grow on me.
    Patchy, I thought, but that Frankenshit riff is the greatest thing ever. Fly She is fine too.

PS all the Cardiacs stuff is going for around $15 on Wayside music this week only.

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-De...d-related.aspx

A good deal indeed.

I'm waiting on Cardiacs (now six or seven albums). I quite like the band, but I'm willing to allow a digestion period before my next purchases. I still plan to complete my collection before the end of the year.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Ok, Guns ordered in the sale (plus 14 other albums)
    Ian

Redbus is good. Fly She is just incredible. Most of the rest of the album still needs to grow on me though
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa