Page 6 of 185 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

A friend directed me to an ebay listing which contained the following information.

Ladies and Gentlemen: An announcement

the official cardiacs online shop will be reopening soon.

I don't have a definite date for you but it will be SOON. Mary, bless her, will be selling off everything in the attic and ordering/repressing as appropriate so you need never run dry. Eventually, the whole merchandise catalogue will be available to you, once again. This will include t-shirts, CDs, vinyl, badges, mousemats (!) and, well, other stuff. Plus, there are some new things in the production line that we know you will be excited about. But we will tell you about these things later on even though I am itching to tell you now. That's all I can tell you without spilling the beans.

Look out for posts on the cardiacs FB page and on cardiacs com (in a little while) so that you don't miss a trick. Please spread the word to avoid unnecessarily large amounts of cash being spent on eBay items. You deserve better.
    I know Kavus has said that the cds will be coming in the future, but is this info coming from anyone related to the band?
    Last edited by Morpheus; 06-23-2013 at 01:42 PM.

All the above is completely true.
    It is from someone very much related to the band, Sharron from North Sea Radio Orchestra who has guested on Cardiacs tunes/ gigs. She will be running the newly opened shop.

And isn't that great news!!!!

chalkpie
    Amazing news. I'll probably scoop up as many as I can on the release date. Also VERY interested in the newer unreleased stuff, hopefully we'll get the Garage rehearsals DVD and if the stars are aligned, maybe even an instrumental version of LSD?

Nice! I have an irrational aversion to iTunes so looking forward to this!
    What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    It is from someone very much related to the band, Sharron from North Sea Radio Orchestra who has guested on Cardiacs tunes/ gigs. She will be running the newly opened shop.
    Kavus,

Do you know if they are selling left overs, or are they reissuing the albums again?

Thanks,

Victor

I think there are a few leftovers to sell but all the Cardiacs albums will be getting repressed nonetheless.

I think there are a few leftovers to sell but all the Cardiacs albums will be getting repressed nonetheless.
    Awesome, thank you!

That's fantastic news.

And Steven Wilson will be remixing, of course...???

Do we have any indication of the time frame?

Next month, I believe.
    Keep your eye on cardiacs.com for updates.

Nice write-up, and it's refreshing to see publications like Quietus speaking favorably of Cardiacs.

http://thequietus.com/articles/12737...25-anniversary

I know what I'll be playing tonight!

from the RER yahoo discussion group

I knew Tim Smith had listened to a lot of progressive music in order to formulate his own take on it in the eighties, but I didn't know he was a Henry Cow fan- here's the quote:
    Two other pivotal influences which often get overlooked are the English avant-rock group Henry Cow and their many offshoots (such as the Art Bears or News From Babel,) and the 1969 debut album by White Noise, An Electric Storm, which featured the talents of the BBC Radiophonic Workshop's Delia Derbyshire. In fact, Henry Cow were such a strong influence on his music, that Tim told me he had obtained bassoonist Lindsay Cooper's address from a friend prior to the Tube screening of Tarred And Feathered and sent her a note telling her if she tuned into Channel 4 at the right time, there would be something on that she "might enjoy".

Here's the video of that track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRZ2Xw_o6FY

That article is slight inaccurate. He actually had her phone number and nervously rang her on the day it was due to air. She wasn't in but he left a message on her answerphone to the tune of "um...you don't know me but ..." Etc. Tim never knew if she saw the thing or not. He actually saw Henry Cow a couple of times in the seventies.

chalkpie
    That article is slight inaccurate. He actually had her phone number and nervously rang her on the day it was due to air. She wasn't in but he left a message on her answerphone to the tune of "um...you don't know me but ..." Etc. Tim never knew if she saw the thing or not. He actually saw Henry Cow a couple of times in the seventies.
    Do we know if LC ever became a Cardiacs fan or not?

chalkpie
    Kavus - since we know the albums are going to be reissued, do you know if Sea Nymphs, Mr and Mrs Smith..., Tim's solo album, etc. will be released as well?

There are plans to but it won't be at the same time as Cardiacs stuff as far as I know.

chalkpie
    There are plans to but it won't be at the same time as Cardiacs stuff as far as I know.
    Eggcellent. That is more good news.

BTW, still spinning Knifeworld and absolutely loving it. I wish more folks here were on board, or at least were aware of its existence.

Really glad to hear that. The new album is coming along nicely. It's the first record that has been specifically written for the larger eight piece ensemble we have become. Hopefully it'll be further reaching musically. It certainly sounds like a progression to my ears.
    I too wish more folks were on board but due to the 'falling between the cracks' nature of the music it seems to take a little longer for people to 'get'.
    To me it's pop. Very few people agree, mind!
    That said, I think it'll be our most cohesive so far.

I have Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat and yes its awesome
    Can't wait for the new one !

I've got 'Clairvoyant Fortnight' and like it. I'll keep an eye out for when the new one is released.

chalkpie
    I interrupt this program to reiterate that Cardiacs are the best band ever. Thanks.

Really glad to hear that. The new album is coming along nicely. It's the first record that has been specifically written for the larger eight piece ensemble we have become. Hopefully it'll be further reaching musically. It certainly sounds like a progression to my ears.
    I too wish more folks were on board but due to the 'falling between the cracks' nature of the music it seems to take a little longer for people to 'get'.
    Any idea when it'll be out?

I regret not coming around to "Buried Alone" until recently - I remember getting a little emotional upon hearing "Pissed Up On Brake Fluid" for the first time, just because it reminded me so much of the sort of thing that Tim was really great with.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Although Kavus' replies about reissuing Cardiacs-albums has been really interesting, this band for me was one of those bands I REALLY WANTED to like, yet the only album I think is brilliant is A Little Man And a House. All the other releases leaves me either stone-cold or border on irritation. Sorry to say this.

This is even more strange considering the fact that I like almost all Cardiacs-sideproject. Whether that's North Sea Radio Orchestra and William D. Drake, or clear-inspired bands like The Scaramanga Six, I think they're all brilliant. So I'm still thinking: what's wrong with me? I'm still hoping one of these days the music will cut me in little pieces.

So here's my wallet beforehand on all the reissues.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Been listening to samples tonight based on this thread, I'm impressed, I think it's pop the same way the last two Cheer-Accident albums have had a pop sensibility. Intelligent rock with hooks & depth. Very impressed. Added to my 'to buy' list.

I certainly looking forward to Cardiacs reissues as the only one I have is Sing To God.

A Cardiacs related album I'd highly recommend is William D Drakes - The Raising Of The Lights, for some reason I always associate it with Dave Willey's - Immeasurable Currents which I got around the same time. Weird how that happens.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.