Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

useless tidbits r us !
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hey aith01 have you hit Fiery Gun Hand yet? Let us know when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    No, not yet.

I've been stuck on Songs For Ships... for the past couple days. Man... 'Everything is Easy' and 'Loosefish Scapegrace' are some of the best things I've ever heard.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    No, not yet.

I've been stuck on Songs For Ships... for the past couple days. Man... 'Everything is Easy' and 'Loosefish Scapegrace' are some of the best things I've ever heard.
    I think you're right to take your time... sadly you can only hear the albums for the first time once. Unless you manage to give yourself dementia, in which case you can do it repeatedly, but there are trade-offs.

Now Bellyeye has totally won over my heart. I swear Cardiacs may be the only group where tunes continue to totally blow you away and take you to a whole new level of euphoria, no matter how many times you hear them. There are gems EVERYWHERE. Sing to God is the best <3
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

That piano counterpoint in the middle of "Odd Even". Wow.

The beginning of Nurses Whispering Verses. That. I give up. Actually? The whole song.

And Foundling? That's 'weep openly' material if I've ever heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    One of my very favorite Cardiacs songs, although the album isn't actually one of my most top albums by them.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

chalkpie
    ^1st song I ever heard by these lunatics. You're a bigger fan of the sextet stuff, right Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^1st song I ever heard by these lunatics. You're a bigger fan of the sextet stuff, right Steve?
    I'm a fan of whichever lineup I'm listening to at the moment.

"What's your favorite song on Sing to God?"

"Is this a trick question?"

You guys are really building up my expectations for Fiery Gun Hand.

Loosefish Scapegrace, man... What a seriously great song. I've listened to it probably a dozen times now, and I think I finally have been able to get my mind around most of it. Love those group vocals done during what I suppose may be the chorus (maybe?) -- the part that begins with "I will stake all my pride against my suicide". It's so theatrical and fun. Not sure how to describe that particular style... It makes me picture a Broadway musical number.

Was listening to Yes today, in memory of Chris Squire. Coming back to Cardiacs this evening, I appreciated the upbeat energy of their music (or of what I've heard at least) even more so; lifted my spirits quite a bit. It is very often fun, sometimes even joyously infectious in its energy. It's starting to make sense why they have such a devoted following.
    Last edited by aith01; 06-30-2015 at 12:23 AM.

It's the best Cardiacs song!

(in my opinion :P)

Loosefish Scapegrace, man... What a seriously great song. I've listened to it probably a dozen times now, and I think I finally have been able to get my mind around most of it. Love those group vocals done during what I suppose may be the chorus (maybe?) -- the part that begins with "I will stake all my pride against my suicide". It's so theatrical and fun. Not sure how to describe that particular style... It makes me picture a Broadway musical number.

Was listening to Yes today, in memory of Chris Squire. Coming back Cardiacs this evening, I appreciated the upbeat energy of their music (or of what I've heard at least) even more so. It is very often fun, sometimes even joyously infectious in its energy. It's starting to make sense why they have such a devoted following.
    I was humming the chorus of that song once and my mom asked me if I was listening to children's music. Loosefish is a great song, and I love how many different, memorable parts it has. Also great lyrics.

Was listening to Yes today, in memory of Chris Squire. Coming back to Cardiacs this evening, I appreciated the upbeat energy of their music (or of what I've heard at least) even more so; lifted my spirits quite a bit. It is very often fun, sometimes even joyously infectious in its energy. It's starting to make sense why they have such a devoted following.
    I hope we don't set your expectations *too* high! In reality, Fiery Gun Hand isn't particularly better than anything else on the album. It's just a really, really great song. I put others in the same league - Manhoo, Odd Even, Horses Tail, Flap Off you Beak, that I like just as well - it's just Fiery Gun Hand tends to be a track that appeals to Cardiacs fans on first listen and continues to reward and for that, it's memorable. It's the RES of the quartet, maybe? Anyway, I don't think it's anything more than just a really, really amazing piece that's on a double album chock full of amazing pieces.

This is why the people who love them do so much. They leave you on a crazy high when you listen to them. It's addicting. They've dragged me kicking and screaming from many a 'ho hum' mood.
    Last edited by zombywoof; 06-30-2015 at 05:58 AM.

Well, yes and no.

I just don't think that particular album is one of their best, even though Fiery Gun Hand is one of my top 5 Cardiacs songs.

I am extremely fond of The Special Garage Concerts and that's just as a quartet. And also their most recently recorded album.

"It's complicated"

:-)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Well, yes and no.

I just don't think that particular album is one of their best, even though Fiery Gun Hand is one of my top 5 Cardiacs songs.

I am extremely fond of The Special Garage Concerts and that's just as a quartet. And also their most recently recorded album.

"It's complicated"

:-)
    I get it man. 'Sing' and 'Heaven Born' are the "heaviest" to swallow as a whole IMO, and I can see how those albums can alienate even hardcore fans. Let me ask you this though - do you consider "Dirty Boy" to be one of their finest pieces? I'm sure you know how I feel about that one

When I heard "Fiery Gun Hand" for the first time, I know I was thinking "OK, cool, but this is just too much....", and then when I got to the instrumental bit after the guitar "solo", I was thinking "OK, I *NEED* to hear more music by this band....!".

Do you also dig Spratley's Japs Steve?

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

The same Andy Thompson who lent Guapo the Mellotron for Five Suns, years before Kavus joined Guapo!
    That is pretty flippin' cool.

Sing to God is my favorite Cardiacs album. It is also the most recent Cardiacs album I've heard. That's usually the way it goes.

I've banned myself from playing Fiery Gun Hand in the car due to involuntary seat bouncing.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sing To God was my first, & probably my favorite, alternates with Little Man.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just to add to the Fiery Gun Hand love-in, it wasn't the first thing i heard by them, but it was the first that really connected with me to the point of realising there was something special about this weird bunch of middle aged men* (and Kavus, who wasn't in them at the time ). I was into thrash metal and punk as a kid so think the hurtling punkiness and spikiness of FGH appealed for that reason. Something Tim then explodes in the final two minutes.

It tends to work better as a 'converter' than Tarred and Feathered imo. Then again, most of my friends are metalheads.

*when i first saw a picture of Cardiacs i thought Jim was the singer.

when i first saw a picture of Cardiacs i thought Jim was the singer.
    It was this one:

(a) Let me ask you this though - do you consider "Dirty Boy" to be one of their finest pieces? I'm sure you know how I feel about that one

(b) Do you also dig Spratley's Japs Steve?
    (a) No. Not at this time I don't. I actually don't really care for it on the Cardiacs scale.

Also: I'm hardly an expert and I am not now nor did I ever completely immerse myself in Cardiacs the way you are.

(b) Honestly, I haven't listened to the side projects by Tim very much. I don't have any opinion on them besides "I need to listen to them again" and that is shared with about 10,000 other things as well.

(c - extra bonus answer): the opening of FGH before anything else comes in with the moire-ing guitars was enough / is enough on its own to make it a favorite for me *, let alone the rest of the song which is also great.

* one of the most profound things I discovered in 1974/1975 was Phillip Glass and Steve Reich. So that sort of things resonates personally.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    It was this one:
    Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim! Jim!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

the opening of FGH before anything else comes in with the moire-ing guitars was enough / is enough on its own to make it a favorite for me
    You mean the bit Tim shamelessly stole from XTC?! yeah it's pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    You mean the bit Tim shamelessly stole from XTC?! yeah it's pretty good
    WOW. Hadn't heard Big Express in so long I had forgotten about that. Yes, he did steal it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com