Page 63 of 185 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

BTW, Steve, thank you for being one of the few places in the US that actually stocks this music. Thanks to Cuneiform and the Wayside store, my horizons have been widening steadily over the last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Both as a fan and a member of the band, the vibe at Cardiacs gigs was unlike any other.
    This is very true. I only saw a few shows, but there was always a sense that this was everyone in the rooms favourite band, but without the narrow minded possessiveness that often goes along with such a thing (hello Depeche Mode!). I'd say the closest feeling gigs i've been to in terms of camaraderie of the audience were Wildhearts gigs funnily enough, a band i'm not hugely into anymore, but their audience always seemed to know all of their stuff backwards. B-sides and all.

It's funny because in complete contradiction to the dreadful response Cardiacs received on the infamous Marrilion tour and also to supporting Blur at Mile End, The Wildhearts audience couldn't have been nicer to us. We made a lot of new fans and friends on that tour.

Was the crowd for the Blur support that bad then? I suppose it would have been a strong teeny-bopper contingent at the time what with them being no.1 with Country House... I get the feeling Tim was never that arsed about a bad reaction to his music. Didn't Sparks play as well?

One thing i learned from Pete's gig list was that the band supported Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds back in '84

I think Tim took consolation from the fact that, as badly as they went down, Sparks fared far worse!

Well there you have it then, Blur fans are officially tasteless idiots!

Have we had a Sparks thread on here? Someone else start one.

I don't plan on going back through all 63 pages (currently!) of this thread but you could do worse than check their own website for their cd's....they still have a number in stock....

Yesterday I arrived home after work, and lo and behold, more Cardiacs CDs in my mailbox!

Listened to A Little Man... all the way through last night. It seems to be a different animal, compared to On Land..., which is what I sort of expected based on the comments here. Need to spend some more time with that one as it's a very cohesive experience, seems best heard as a whole. R.E.S. is a killer tune though!

Right now I'm listening to Songs For Ships and Irons, and it is quite great so far. That first song really grabs you right out of the gate.

I will follow your recommendations and get familiar with these two before moving on to Sing To God.

Funny, that. Little Man was my intro and i just loved it. When I heard On Land, it was an onslaught. It felt like everything Little Man was, but more. Proggier, punkier. I can understand why hearing them in reverse could seem a little disappointing, but I'm sure you'll grow to love Little Man all the same.

As for Big Ships and Too many Irons - wait until you get to Loosefish.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Funny, that. Little Man was my intro and i just loved it. When I heard On Land, it was an onslaught. It felt like everything Little Man was, but more. Proggier, punkier. I can understand why hearing them in reverse could seem a little disappointing, but I'm sure you'll grow to love Little Man all the same.

As for Big Ships and Too many Irons - wait until you get to Loosefish.
    Well, I wouldn't say I was disappointed by A Little Man... -- just that it seems less immediate than the following album. On Land... is pretty much non-stop, in-your-face music from beginning to end, so with Little Man being based around a concept and having more "breathing room" makes sense that it would be a different sort of beast. I look forward to getting acquainted with it.

The song 'In A City Lining' reminds me a bit of IQ actually.

Also, the song 'Everything Is Easy' (from Songs For Ships...) -- Good grief, what a song! Simply awesome.

The more I hear of these guys, the more I need to hear. Thanks to all of you for the recommendations, I'm thoroughly grateful.

chalkpie
    ^ Glad you're loving this band man. I am a huge fan of "In a City Lining" but don't think I've ever heard IQ

Did "Loosefish Scapegrace" stand out at all? It's a top 10 Cardiacs tune for me, well along with "Big Ship" too.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Glad you're loving this band man. I am a huge fan of "In a City Lining" but don't think I've ever heard IQ
    Haha, I meant it as a compliment actually! I know neo-prog is not exactly looked upon favorably by everyone, but I do really like IQ -- they always struck me as a little more adventurous than some of their peers (e.g. Marillion, Pendragon, etc.), inasmuch as neo-prog can be considered "adventurous". But it's really apples and oranges; I think it's just those Mellotron chords that caused me to make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Did "Loosefish Scapegrace" stand out at all? It's a top 10 Cardiacs tune for me, well along with "Big Ship" too.
    Haven't gotten past 'Everything Is Easy' yet actually; I keep going back and replaying all the songs up to that point. They're just that good. I'm looking forward to hearing 'Loosefish Scapegrace' though.

I knew from hearing you all talk about Cardiacs and how much you enjoy them that there must be something worthwhile there -- especially given many of your musical backgrounds and tastes. I just never took the plunge until now, but boy am I glad I finally did! It isn't often that I feel compelled to gush about a band this much. Please let me know if I start to get annoying.

Edit: On my second listen of 'Loosefish Scapegrace' -- a lot to absorb, but it made quite a good first impression.
    Last edited by aith01; 06-28-2015 at 01:01 AM.

Funny you make the IQ reference, Tim used their mellotron on that record.

And if you like onslaught, Sing to Gawd is yer friend.

By the way, your next purchase is "All That Glitters is a Mare's Nest". I've decided it.

Funny you make the IQ reference, Tim used their mellotron on that record.

And if you like onslaught, Sing to Gawd is yer friend.
    Ah, interesting! That makes sense.

I'm looking forward to diving into that one after I've given these a few more spins.

Actually, he sampled the IQ mellotron, so every time you hear mellotron in Cardiacs, it's IQ's!

And you need Mares Nest!! It's Songs for Ships and On Land material, only faster and in front of an audience. And a to call that audience 'devoted' would be an understatement

Actually, he sampled the IQ mellotron, so every time you hear mellotron in Cardiacs, it's IQ's!

And you need Mares Nest!! It's Songs for Ships and On Land material, only faster and in front of an audience. And a to call that audience 'devoted' would be an understatement
    And make sure you check out the video too, because it's fantastic.

THE CORRECTOR. ^
    No he didn't. If you hear a Mellotron in Spratleys/ Cardiacs etc post-Little Man it belonged to our friend Andy Thompson.

THE CORRECTOR. ^
    No he didn't. If you hear a Mellotron in Spratleys/ Cardiacs etc post-Little Man it belonged to our friend Andy Thompson.
    Woah! I stand corrected. Thanks Kavus.

Definitely sonic similarities between early IQ and Cardiacs.

By the way, that wasn't supposed to sound cross!

(In case it did)

By the way, that wasn't supposed to sound cross!
    Not taken that way in the least!

Was just farting around on Yootoob and came across this

Bloody great i'd say. I was pretty much agog during this:

How well do they lend themselves to Piano eh?

There's a load more on there that i'm looking forward to listening to. Several hats off to Adrian Beckwith, whoever you are

THE CORRECTOR. ^
    THE COLLATOR OF USELESS TIDBITS. ^

The same Andy Thompson who lent Guapo the Mellotron for Five Suns, years before Kavus joined Guapo!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

The same Andy Thompson who lent Guapo the Mellotron for Five Suns, years before Kavus joined Guapo!
    That I didn't know. That Mellotron's sure been around!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Woah!!