Page 60 of 185 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470110160 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Personally I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 Cardiacs albums before spreading out into the associated family

On Land & Sea
    Sing To God
    A Little Man ...
    Song for Ships

Sea Nymphs
    Tim Smith's Extra Special
    Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake

The associated albums are excellent, as are the non-Tim Cardiacs related albums
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yeah, your priority is to get the main attraction, then spread out. That's how it worked historically. Though I'd say Knifeworld, William D Drake, and Stars in Battledress can be explored and enjoyed without prior Kardiax exposure.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Went ahead and ordered On Land and In the Sea. I think next on the list will be A Little Man and a House....

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

Went ahead and ordered On Land and In the Sea. I think next on the list will be A Little Man and a House....
    Enjoy. Best band ever. When you order 'A Little Man...', you might as well just grab 'Songs for Ships' and 'Sing to God' and then you will be well on your way.

A week in to my Sing for God daily experiment. I don't get both discs everyday, so I guess I'm cheating.

There are almost whole songs that I know (lyrics and all). I'm still having problems with song titles. Another few weeks at least.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Brave man. That's the deep end.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Personally I'd recommend getting 2 or 3 Cardiacs albums before spreading out into the associated family

On Land & Sea
    Sing To God
    A Little Man ...
    Song for Ships
    I agree with you Nog, the spread betting method to sample all periods initially of only Cardiacs is a good idea for virgins, however to those four I would add HB & EB, as it was the result of their first dip in the pool with a four man band, and for diehard, long-time fans like me is up there in quality & atmos with OLAITS.

I guess HB & EB will be my next purchase then
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Enjoy. Best band ever. When you order 'A Little Man...', you might as well just grab 'Songs for Ships' and 'Sing to God' and then you will be well on your way.
    Thanks man! I will add those to the list as well. Normally I don't like resorting to sampling music on iTunes, but these songs all sound really interesting and enjoyable (from the minute-and-a-half snippets at least) so I'm glad I did.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Brave man. That's the deep end.
    Haha, yikes! ...Really? What's considered to be their more "accessible" stuff? That may be too subjective.

Thanks man! I will add those to the list as well. Normally I don't like resorting to sampling music on iTunes, but these songs all sound really interesting and enjoyable (from the minute-and-a-half snippets at least) so I'm glad I did.

Haha, yikes! ...Really? What's considered to be their more "accessible" stuff? That may be too subjective.
    It's all the Deep End, really! I would start with Little Man, personally. It has a way of drawing you in slowly, yet grabbing your attention from the get go! On Land is brilliant, but as an immediate fan of Little Man, it took a few plays to gell. It's just so heavy and doesn't really let off the gas for 50 mins.

I guess HB & EB will be my next purchase then
    I actually prefer Guns. HB&EB, while very good, has an earachy production that is a bit hard to take. Oh wait did you say you had Garage Concerts? If you don't, you NEED that!!

I do not have the Garage Concerts
    Ian

I like the Special Garage Concerts better than a few of their studio discs.

Note: Don't settle for just the Garage Concerts. Be sure to only purchase the Special Garage Concerts!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie
    MUST have. IMO most of the tunes here are superior to their older studio counterparts, and I generally love that stuff. I will say that I still prefer the old "Wooden Fish on Wheels" over the live one here. But stuff like "As Cold as Can Be...", "Hope Day", Its a Lovely Day", "Game for Bertie's Party", "Gibber and Twitch", etc just absolutely shine here. Incredible stuff and SOOOOOO fuckin' tight its ridiculous. Thanks the Gods for having these shows recorded - I can't imagine life without these discs. Do I like them? Possibly.

chalkpie
    Could you imagine an audiobook on tape - and the whole thing is Jim reading this entire thread with Mozart and Haydn playing in the background lightly? Just thinking out loud.

MUST have. IMO most of the tunes here are superior to their older studio counterparts, and I generally love that stuff. I will say that I still prefer the old "Wooden Fish on Wheels" over the live one here. But stuff like "As Cold as Can Be...", "Hope Day", Its a Lovely Day", "Game for Bertie's Party", "Gibber and Twitch", etc just absolutely shine here. Incredible stuff and SOOOOOO fuckin' tight its ridiculous. Thanks the Gods for having these shows recorded - I can't imagine life without these discs. Do I like them? Possibly.
    The version of As Cold As Can Be on Garage Concerts is absolutely incredible. Ascended the song to one of my favorites.

It's all the Deep End, really! I would start with Little Man, personally. It has a way of drawing you in slowly, yet grabbing your attention from the get go! On Land is brilliant, but as an immediate fan of Little Man, it took a few plays to gell. It's just so heavy and doesn't really let off the gas for 50 mins.
    Sounds very promising! The samples of Little Man are interesting as well, and I was on the fence about which one to get first. But the intensity of what I heard of On Land and In the Sea really grabbed me and made me want to hear more.

I never realized they had keys and saxes in their music! I've been ignorant of these guys for too long, but no more.

HB&EB, while very good, has an earachy production that is a bit hard to take.
    I don't hear that at all.

Me neither, although, i've only ever had the remastered version - i've not had the pleasure of listening to the original mix. If i had, i may feel different about it, but the production has never overly troubled me. HB&EB has some brilliant tunes and is not the anomaly in the discography that many people claim. It just suffered from being the first record since the demise of the 'classic' line up. Its obviously their most 'rock' album, but that's not a bad thing in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    Me neither, although, i've only ever had the remastered version - i've not had the pleasure of listening to the original mix. If i had, i may feel different about it, but the production has never overly troubled me. HB&EB has some brilliant tunes and is not the anomaly in the discography that many people claim. It just suffered from being the first record since the demise of the 'classic' line up. Its obviously their most 'rock' album, but that's not a bad thing in my mind.

But I've only got the original mix and it sounds great to me. I'm probably biased though, as I heard most of it live many times.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    But I've only got the original mix and it sounds great to me. I'm probably biased though, as I heard most of it live many times.
    You suck!

You suck!
    Sorry mate! I feel your pain

Mike Vennart of Oceansize - "I’ve stopped trying to rip-off The Cardiacs because I found that was completely impossible."

That's a nice tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    HB&EB has some brilliant tunes and is not the anomaly in the discography that many people claim.
    I agree some killer songs here. Production can get a bit harsh but it doesn't distract from how great the tunes are. I friggin love March, its one of their best I think. What a sick piece of music that is. And let's not forget Goodbye Grace!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Just got On Land and In the Sea in the mail yesterday and have been listening to it at work this morning. Only four or five songs through (although I have replayed Two Bites of Cherry several times already) but I'm enjoying it so far.

Just got On Land and In the Sea in the mail yesterday and have been listening to it at work this morning. Only four or five songs through (although I have replayed Two Bites of Cherry several times already) but I'm enjoying it so far.
    I always loved how Tim chose to open that album with a breath. Like ... here we go! *deep breath* So unprog.