Page 50 of 185 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    For Chalky, and the other irredeemable addicts amongst you, your next hit, if you can get hold of it and if you haven't already got it, is Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake (1984). If you think The Sea Nymphs album is the best thing since sliced bread then all I can say is, you aint heard nothin' yet!
    Very good album.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    "Ditzy Scene" becoming a sort-of mini "Dirty Boy" for me. Pretty high compliment. Its a journey and a half.

chalkpie
    For Chalky, and the other irredeemable addicts amongst you, your next hit, if you can get hold of it and if you haven't already got it, is Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake (1984). If you think The Sea Nymphs album is the best thing since sliced bread then all I can say is, you aint heard nothin' yet!
    Got it, thanks for the look-out mate. I don't know it very well yet, which is actually great since my exploration of new Tim music is shrinking drastically. I'll hit it in a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Got it, thanks for the look-out mate. I don't know it very well yet, which is actually great since my exploration of new Tim music is shrinking drastically. I'll hit it in a day or two.
    I too think i prefer Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake to Sea Nymphs (although i love both).

Would love a released CD of Ditzy Scene - its one of my faves. Whoever did the unofficial fan video on YouTube (the b/w one with the atomic bomb going off) did an ace job. Its a perfect fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    I too think i prefer Mr & Mrs Smith & Mr Drake to Sea Nymphs (although i love both).

Would love a released CD of Ditzy Scene - its one of my faves. Whoever did the unofficial fan video on YouTube (the b/w one with the atomic bomb going off) did an ace job. Its a perfect fit.
    a limited cd single was released at the time, so I too Would like to see a rerelease as it is the one official release i do not possess.be great if they could release it on 7" vinyl.

Ordered Mr & Mrs Smith and Mr Drake some time ago. And yes, The Sea Nymphs is absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to hear the second one, coming out this year (hopefully).
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Wouldn't mind an official release of the radio sessions, but I guess the legal ramifications are prohibitive?

Part 2:

The Radio sessions rule! I'd love an official release at some point too. The Is This The Life from 95 is just amazing, maybe the best version ever I think
    Last edited by Lieto; 03-28-2015 at 05:00 PM.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Wow, listen to Buds and Spawns with the mix pulled back a little. It breathes! It's alive! Smokes the studio recording!! Cmon ABC - where is this?

So, I finally pulled the trigger on Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Heh, that's the one I started with.

As usual with new Cardiacs family stuff, it takes a few listens - I didn't find it 'immediate' at all. Probably took a handful of turns before all the pieces slotted into places and more than any other album, its a grower. Not a duff track on it and littered with brilliance throughout. The 'sound' is different to most of their other releases - it feels darker, murkier somehow, but that's not a negative. Its definitely got a different feel. There's nothing as epochal as Dirty Boy on this one, but it feels rounded as an album.

Interestingly though, there's a Jon Poole interview where he claims, whilst he is proud of the album, if there's one Cardiacs release he could revisit and tinker with, it would be this one - particularly the running order (placing Junior (is a jitterbug) at the end of the album rather than in the middle.

chalkpie
    You'll love it, it's a way of life. With Leather.

chalkpie
    Ian - do you know "Jitterbug" yet?

Wow, listen to Buds and Spawns with the mix pulled back a little. It breathes! It's alive! Smokes the studio recording!! Cmon ABC - where is this?
    I love Buds and Spawns...one of my favorite tunes of theirs. Parts of it remind me of what Syd Barrett might have sounded like in the 80's (yes, really).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Guns is a very good album. The only thing *wrong* with it is that this is the album after their masterpiece. Ever album falls short of STG.

Jitterbug and Signs are classics.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Wouldn't mind an official release of the radio sessions, but I guess the legal ramifications are prohibitive?
    I assume you mean an official ABC release, as it was officially released by the BBC. I have it on vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Ian - do you know "Jitterbug" yet?
    Not well, but I've heard it. Mike brought it onto the show a few weeks ago and I recall enjoying it.

A few bands/singers maintained quality throughout, Cardiacs are one of the few!

Yeah, I'm sampling Guns on YouTube because I'm impatient. Is this the best guitar tone Tim put on record or what? Really digging the tunes.

Yeah, I'm sampling Guns on YouTube because I'm impatient. Is this the best guitar tone Tim put on record or what? Really digging the tunes.
    One of the best, definitely. It's a little more "glam" or something. Guns as a whole has a very meaty feel to it, compared to the more wiry other quartet stuff. I don't know why it's not talked about much, but Will Bleed Amen is one of my absolutely favorite Cardiacs songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    I don't know why it's not talked about much, but Will Bleed Amen is one of my absolutely favorite Cardiacs songs.
    It's one of mine too, just an amazing piece of music
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Oddly, my least favorite on Guns. Which means it'll probably be my favorite song ever before long.

chalkpie
    Oddly, my least favorite on Guns.