Page 48 of 185 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    And do not forget the tune Signs, together with Jitterbug my fav on the album. Signs sounds like the little brother of that dirty boy. Awesome song.
    I think Signs is great too, however, every time i listen to it, all i hear is mid-period Pixies. Musically and vocally they've got an awful lot in common.

I know, as an American, I should love Guns.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I know, as an American, I should love Guns.
    So make like Kurt: Load up on guns! You won't regret...
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    We've been getting into Guns this weekend. It's such an odd LP. Quite different. Very glam rock - with strong hints of T-Rex but also Kinks (as ever) and The Move.
    In a way, this is their party record (even though they almost completely dialed back the Ska). But, yeah, very glam in places.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    Guns took me more listens than any other Cardiacs CD before i got it, which was frustrating being a long-time fan. For some reason the pieces didn't fall into place in the way other releases did, until, i turned down the volume a few notches. All of a sudden the melodies seemed to appear in a way they hadn't previously and it all 'made sense'. It just seemed to have a 'murkier' sound than any of their other albums, exacerbated by listening to it too loudly. Now i think its one of their most rewarding records (probably because i haven't played it to death like the others).
    it's the exact opposite for me... i had to turn up the volume to fully appreciate it (and listen with headphones ) now it's my favorite album of theirs.

All you need to know, START:

Songs for Ships & Irons

END.

I've been listening to The Special Garage Concerts. On at least one song (Aukamakic), they start and stop and even give up. Was that planned? Or just part of fun that is Tim?

Also, did they really shave their heads for Sing to God? Kavus too?

chalkpie
    On the Canterbury thread, I say that Hatfield is the best band ever. Here I say that Cardiacs are the best band ever. Write that down.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I've been listening to The Special Garage Concerts. On at least one song (Aukamakic), they start and stop and even give up. Was that planned? Or just part of fun that is Tim?

Also, did they really shave their heads for Sing to God? Kavus too?
    Aukamakic is just that short. They played it full through twice. Tim's just making weird semi-intelligible comments throughout it. All part of the fun.

Kavus wasn't part of the STG lineup, Jon Poole was the second guitarist then. All their hairs were just that short.

That reminds me of one of my favorite bits on the Garage Concerts: Tim shushing the crowd before An Ant so he can talk to Jon. "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Johnny!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L7wNZitAac Jim abuse + Spinney

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    That reminds me of one of my favorite bits on the Garage Concerts: Tim shushing the crowd before An Ant so he can talk to Jon. "I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Johnny!"
    "I saw Superman II on the telly... three weeks ago!"

The "At the Garage" bootlegs are very much worth listening to just for all the stage banter left off of the official release

Quote Originally Posted by thehard View Post
    "I saw Superman II on the telly... three weeks ago!"

The "At the Garage" bootlegs are very much worth listening to just for all the stage banter left off of the official release
    I've tried to find these a couple of times and have never been able to. Need to take another stab at it.

Also!
    WgddEyEm.jpg

chalkpie
    ^ So is the ABC gonna give us a bit more info on this at some point? We're already planning a UK trip in August with the fam - can't do this twice. Fuck.

Convention or something?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ So is the ABC gonna give us a bit more info on this at some point? We're already planning a UK trip in August with the fam - can't do this twice. Fuck.

Convention or something?
    I think it is a convention of sorts. Yes, I agree it's lame that they aren't more forthcoming with info. I suspect they don't suspect that people might want to travel for this. I won't be (putting my money towards a NYC trip for Magma!!), but I'm sure you aren't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazoinks View Post
    I've tried to find these a couple of times and have never been able to. Need to take another stab at it.

Also!
    WgddEyEm.jpg
    Here's something a Pondie made with Day 1: http://www.cardiacs.org/forum/viewto...5&hilit#p87901

Day 2 and 3 are probably floating around Soulseek somewhere if you search various combinations of "Cardiacs" "live" "garage" "2003"

The May event is very likely a 2nd Bumming Shed. (ABC kept changing the filename from bs-teaser to not-in-any-way-a-bs-teaser-image to up-your-bum-chum and now it's bills-slippers).
    Last edited by thehard; 02-28-2015 at 10:26 AM.

I was about to mention the Cardiacs forum (which you have to sign up to to access). There's a thread in there that links to a database of many different live shows that can be downloaded including the garage concert recordings. It's true that there was much banter that was not on the cd release. Tim talks a lot.

I think last time there was a convention Maresnest was released on dvd without any notice, i really hope there's something forthcoming this time too. New Sea Nymphs and Garage rehearsals have been rumoured for a while....

Here's a direct link to day 1 http://www.mediafire.com/download/xd...17-10-2003.rar

If there's an issue with me posting this i can take it down.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I was about to mention the Cardiacs forum (which you have to sign up to to access). There's a thread in there that links to a database of many different live shows that can be downloaded including the garage concert recordings. It's true that there was much banter that was not on the cd release. Tim talks a lot.
    Wow, I have an account there, but I somehow never noticed this!

Come on ABC peeps, tell us what's happening on 2nd May!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Come on ABC peeps, tell us what's happening on 2nd May!
    LSD recovered? (Hey, one can dream...)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    knifeworld.jpg

Looks very exciting
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    knifeworld.jpg

Looks very exciting
    Oh. Lucky British brethren...

knifeworld.jpg

Looks very exciting
    Worth a plane ticket!!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

chalkpie
    knifeworld.jpg

Looks very exciting
    Thanks. I wonder if this thing will have filmage for DVDage perhaps?

I'll be there - ticket bought. Great line up - a bit like Roastfest in 2011 - had a great night then.