Page 45 of 185 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Fact check: Silvery is not a Tim Smith song. It's written by Jon Poole.
    Given that it appeared ON Poole's album I probably should've made that connection, really. :P

I just introduced my new girlfriend to Cardiacs via ALMAAHATWWW. She loves prog and loved it straight away!

(That's better than me. It took me three listens for the penny to drop)

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    I just introduced my new girlfriend to Cardiacs via ALMAAHATWWW. She loves prog and loved it straight away!

(That's better than me. It took me three listens for the penny to drop)
    Marry her.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Marry her.
    Ha ha ha!!!

So Sean says that any thread that goes past 5 pages usually ends in dissension and name-calling. Perhaps we should start a thread studying the "online psychology of a Cardiacs fan" and see if we can start some ad hominem-ing good times! (By the way, thanks to all here for introducing me to the band. It's amazing to me to think that I spent 35 years not listening to them and gratifying to consider that I (hopefully) will spend the next 35 listening to them.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I've reached the end of my first Cardiacs journey. The last 4 were the side projects.

I heavily enjoyed OceanLandWorld. I know the rest of the side projects were collaborations. Was this one a collaboration also? Or why was it not a Cardiacs release?

Spratleys Japs was very good also. I had originally heard "Fear" from the Leader of the Skies tribute album. But since that was my original exposure, this version sounds like a cover of an Oceansize song instead of the other way around. It's still excellent.

I bought the tribute album several years ago (and even have the Loyal Companion), but since I was not familiar with the original songs, it never sank in. I'm going to revisit it again so that can get the full effect of the tribute.

Side question: Why are there two different versions of R.E.S.? Weren't they both studio albums, not compilations?

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    So Sean says that any thread that goes past 5 pages usually ends in dissension and name-calling. Perhaps we should start a thread studying the "online psychology of a Cardiacs fan" and see if we can start some ad hominem-ing good times! (By the way, thanks to all here for introducing me to the band. It's amazing to me to think that I spent 35 years not listening to them and gratifying to consider that I (hopefully) will spend the next 35 listening to them.)
    In my experience, Cardiacs fans are pretty cool, easy going, generous, and accepting people.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    In my experience, Cardiacs fans are pretty cool, easy going, generous, and accepting people.
    Are you after something?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Are you after something?
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I heavily enjoyed OceanLandWorld. I know the rest of the side projects were collaborations. Was this one a collaboration also? Or why was it not a Cardiacs release?

Side question: Why are there two different versions of R.E.S.? Weren't they both studio albums, not compilations?
    1. I believe it was done between On Land and HB&EB when the band's future was in question (I remember reading a while back that Tim thought about breaking them up after Bill left). It's all Tim aside from Sarah's sax on England's.

2. The Seaside (and Garage Concerts) version features an extra "Hope Day" coda that's not on the ALMAAHATWW version.

I'm not.

chalkpie
    ^ I'm really trying to get away from this

I am really cool, easy going, generous and accepting towards other Cardiacs fans.
    All other people are crap.

chalkpie
    If it isn't Cardiacs fans, it's crap.

They're not people, they're DOGS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    They're not people, they're DOGS.
    But no dogs-like-sparky

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    Tim sold the tape at shows to make money, with songs that "[he'd] never let Cardiacs touch". I think that's from one of the radio sessions

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    I played this tune for my little cousins (7, 8 and 12) and they LOVEd R.E.S. IT seems I'm not the only one in the family with good taste
    My 3-year-old can't get enough of R.E.S. We watch the video over and over. I had to get her a toy saxophone for Christmas because of that video. She says she wants to be Sarah when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    The Garage Concerts sound how that material was meant to sound in my view.
    Another vote here for The Garage Concerts, from someone who doesn't care much for live albums in general. The sound quality is so much better than on some of the early studio recordings that I consider a lot of these to be definitive versions of the songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Another vote here for The Garage Concerts, from someone who doesn't care much for live albums in general. The sound quality is so much better than on some of the early studio recordings that I consider a lot of these to be definitive versions of the songs.
    Yeah. I don't think it's really possible to find the first two albums in good enough quality to compete (outside of Archive, which is only a fraction). The Seaside's sound quality is fine, but it sounds kinda thin and cheap compared to the much fuller sound of the concerts. I do find myself missing Quy's percussion on G/Jibber and Twitch, though.

As much as i love The Seaside and earlier material, i agree - they do sound kind of flat, particularly the vocals. Maybe it still needed the percussion/keys/sax that come in afterwards to flesh out the sound, combined with a proper studio/equipment. I don't know whether it was the recording or not, but Tim's voice just sounded less 'confident' up until this era. I doubt it was a confidence issue, he just sounded like a very young vocalist. At some point around Big Ship mini LP it just seemed to 'grow'. I love the sound of the Special Garage Concerts with the beefed up versions of the earlier tracks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    As much as i love The Seaside and earlier material, i agree - they do sound kind of flat, particularly the vocals. Maybe it still needed the percussion/keys/sax that come in afterwards to flesh out the sound, combined with a proper studio/equipment. I don't know whether it was the recording or not, but Tim's voice just sounded less 'confident' up until this era. I doubt it was a confidence issue, he just sounded like a very young vocalist. At some point around Big Ship mini LP it just seemed to 'grow'. I love the sound of the Special Garage Concerts with the beefed up versions of the earlier tracks too.
    Agreed. I Always felt Tim sang better and better over the years and was still improving until his ilness

Keep in mind that I am very new to the Cardiacs scene so these are my impressions only. Please understand that I am trying to understand better, not trying to start some flame war.

One thing that comes across to me through the posted videos and stories is that Tim could be extremely demanding, maybe even insufferably so. T/F? He's also extremely loved, and I think more than just for his genius. How do those two things go together so well? What's the rest of it that fills it out?

Was he a hard taskmaster? I'm sure he wanted his music played correctly by his bandmates, but by all accounts he is, without exception, considered a lovely, lovely man, so i'd be amazed to learn that he was a dick like Zappa or Beefheart were. There's really only one person here that can answer you though.

Just remembered an interview where Tim says the band never rehearsed. Yeah, sure you didn't you knob

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    Was he a hard taskmaster? I'm sure he wanted his music played correctly by his bandmates, but by all accounts he is, without exception, considered a lovely, lovely man, so i'd be amazed to learn that he was a dick like Zappa or Beefheart were. There's really only one person here that can answer you though.

Just remembered an interview where Tim says the band never rehearsed. Yeah, sure you didn't you knob
    I think a saying Frank was a dick is a bit strong but then again I've never been in his band to know if he was that - or just a serious person with a mission. Players knew going in what his band was about. No surprises about how regimented and serious it would be.