Page 34 of 185 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

The new PoiL and OceanLand have been in the house for 2 days (though I have not!), Thanks Steve!!. OceanLandWorld is amazing. Go get this if you have not yet amazing tunes on here. Swimming with The Snake is pure terror and crushing sadness, and boy is it one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. So brilliant. Send chills down the spine everytime. Doing the PoiL later, super pumped about that too!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

I apologize because I'm guessing this is somewhere embedded in the thread, but I also know that Cardiacs fans are more than happy to share their opinion multiple times.

Short story is that I found myself in Japan for a week without my normal music collection. I only had what was in my ITunes account: 1) The new U2 album, 2) Oceansize - Music for Nurses, and 3) Cardiacs - STG I & II. I typically play only my physical CDs so these were all very under-appreciated in my collection. (The U2 remains so.) Short story is I had a wonderful week and am now looking to expand my Cardiacs collection. My Oceansize collection is already full.

On my shortlist:
    Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
    Cardiacs - Guns
    Cardiacs - Heaven Born and Ever Bright
    Cardiacs - On Land And In the Sea
    Cardiacs - Songs for Ships And Irons
    Cardiacs - The Seaside

I'm considering buying the physical versions of STG also.

Beyond that, which side projects or other Cardiacs albums are considered essential (and are available for purchase)? I think this captures all their studio albums? I typically do not enjoy live albums as much as studio, if that helps.

YES!!! In addition to all the Cardiacs albums you listed, the Spratley Japs, OCEANLANDWORLD, and Sea Nymphs are also essential. You may also want the Archives release as it contains songs that were unavailable anywhere else. The Odd Even and Manhoo cd singles are also excellent, because they contain unreleased material from the STG sessions. You are in for a great ride!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Let us know when Tim is your god and Cardiacs is your church.
    Not yet. I am digging the album, though. Guess I'll be buying more.

I've been trying to create a handy way to describe the band (to myself--no one I talk to gives a shit about it), and I came up with this: Stranglers plus Henry Cow equals Cardiacs.

Meh. Doesn't work so much.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I apologize because I'm guessing this is somewhere embedded in the thread, but I also know that Cardiacs fans are more than happy to share their opinion multiple times.

Short story is that I found myself in Japan for a week without my normal music collection. I only had what was in my ITunes account: 1) The new U2 album, 2) Oceansize - Music for Nurses, and 3) Cardiacs - STG I & II. I typically play only my physical CDs so these were all very under-appreciated in my collection. (The U2 remains so.) Short story is I had a wonderful week and am now looking to expand my Cardiacs collection. My Oceansize collection is already full.

On my shortlist:
    Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
    Cardiacs - Guns
    Cardiacs - Heaven Born and Ever Bright
    Cardiacs - On Land And In the Sea
    Cardiacs - Songs for Ships And Irons
    Cardiacs - The Seaside

I'm considering buying the physical versions of STG also.

Beyond that, which side projects or other Cardiacs albums are considered essential (and are available for purchase)? I think this captures all their studio albums? I typically do not enjoy live albums as much as studio, if that helps.
    Hey man - start with all of those that you listed. I mean, if you dig the sound/energy of "Sing", then you'll most likely end up loving this band, so any/all of those are essential. If I had to wait on any on that list, it would be "Guns" and "Seaside", but that does not mean they are inferior in any way, just you might enjoy them once you've swam in the pond for a bit.

So how did "Sing" treat you overall? Any favorite tracks? Keep us posted and enjoy the ride man! Best band ever.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I've been trying to create a handy way to describe the band (to myself--no one I talk to gives a shit about it), and I came up with this: Stranglers plus Henry Cow equals Cardiacs.

Funnily enough, I heard a really cool tune over the PA. I used Siri to guess the name of the track. Guess who it was? The Stranglers.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Beyond those mentioned I'd suggest both William Drake solo albums, North Sea Radio Orchestra, Stars In Battledress, Knifeworld. Some of those connections are a little tenuous but they are all great
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

I forgot what album you have?

But if you're buying more, its all good

So how did "Sing" treat you overall? Any favorite tracks? Keep us posted and enjoy the ride man! Best band ever.
    Years ago, I listened to all the Cardiacs samples on the progarchives site, so I was already a fan of Fiery Gun Hand and Dirty Boy. After that, I actually bought STG on ITunes, but then never gave it enough focused attention. I also bought Leader of the Starry Skies when it came out, but without knowing the original material, it never grabbed me. I have listened to a lot of other material on Youtube, but STG is still my favorite, so far. It is REALLY hard to pick favorite tracks. I've noticed the tracks don't sound the same if I listen to them out of order. Something about the feelings that flow from each one to the next. Some other favorites: Insect Hoofs on Lassie, Wireless, Nurses Whispering Verses...

Quote Originally Posted by florentine pogen View Post
    YES!!! In addition to all the Cardiacs albums you listed, the Spratley Japs, OCEANLANDWORLD, and Sea Nymphs are also essential. You may also want the Archives release as it contains songs that were unavailable anywhere else. The Odd Even and Manhoo cd singles are also excellent, because they contain unreleased material from the STG sessions. You are in for a great ride!
    Thanks for the heads up! I was not aware of the extra unreleased tracks. I don't see the Manhoo single or Sea Nymphs available on Wayside unfortunately. Are they still in print? I do see the rest of them... And is there one Sea Nymphs release or two? I get conflicting answers on Progarchives and Wikipedia.

chalkpie
    Signs.

chalkpie
    I'm not sure I've ever encountered a group that you can have a new favorite song by them every few days like this one? Seriously.

Oh yea absolutely! I think Sing to God's flow is so perfect the tracks seem to have less importance out of order, but still beyond great. Man this album is seriously a top 10 for me now. But Little Man or Songs for Ships can be also.

I am also loving OCEANLANDWORLD still.

Frankie, I love that about cardiacs, there's a masterpiece behind every door! New recent favorites: Red Fire Coming out From His Gills, An Ant, and To Go Off and Things
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Earlier this year i caught the Cardiacs bug and dove headlong into the deep end.I bought four or five Cardiacs cds and an equal number of Cardiacs side projects/offshoots.OceanLandWorld may be my favorite of them all.I've not listened to any of them in a couple of months, what with the crush of new stuff i buy,but it's great to know i have a reasonably diverse collection of their music and can wallow in the exquisite songcraft contained therein whenever the spirit moves me.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I'm not sure I've ever encountered a group that you can have a new favorite song by them every few days like this one? Seriously.
    Yeah, I used to think "The Duck and Roger the Horse" was their best track until I heard like 15 others that are just as good.

OK, Cardiacs experts. Can you tell me if the original version of "Nurses Whispering Verses" is currently available on CD? It was left off the CD reissue of The Seaside, but maybe I'm missing it somewhere else.

I don't see the Manhoo single or Sea Nymphs available on Wayside unfortunately. Are they still in print? I do see the rest of them... And is there one Sea Nymphs release or two? I get conflicting answers on Progarchives and Wikipedia.
    Anybody know? Planning out my purchase.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    OK, Cardiacs experts. Can you tell me if the original version of "Nurses Whispering Verses" is currently available on CD? It was left off the CD reissue of The Seaside, but maybe I'm missing it somewhere else.
    Just the "Toy World" bootleg as far as I know?

chalkpie
    Anybody know? Planning out my purchase.
    Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Mr. Drake could technically be considered a Sea Nymphs album (but isn't), but there is only one Sea Nymphs album (proper). Both of those are (of course) essential.

I don't see the Manhoo single or Sea Nymphs available on Wayside unfortunately. Are they still in print? I do see the rest of them... And is there one Sea Nymphs release or two? I get conflicting answers on Progarchives and Wikipedia.
    The Sea Nymphs are not carried by us because the copies have 'wrinkly' booklets (old stock I guess) and people would complain.

You can buy it - wrinkly booklets and all - directly from the dreaded Alphabet Business Concern.

I've never been offered the Manhoo single, so I assume it is long out of print.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

chalkpie

Haha~!

I forgot what album you have?

But if you're buying more, its all good
    On Land and in the Sea. It will probably be several months before I purchase any new music as I have a glut of recent purchases to digest (Bob Drake, Tim Hodkinson, Trojan Horse, a bunch of Tull)--heck, I haven't even opened the Starless box because I know what kind of commitment that'll take (I'm just going to wrap it up and put it underneath the ol' Winter Solstice Holiday Tree in a month or so).

But I'm definitely settling into the album nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Funnily enough, I heard a really cool tune over the PA. I used Siri to guess the name of the track. Guess who it was? The Stranglers.
    Highly recommended. No reason to bog down the Cardiacs thread with a Stranglers discussion. But I bet you'd find a few supporters in a Stranglers thread were one to start up.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yup, I'm a Stranglers fan.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yup, I'm a Stranglers fan.
    Black & White is one of the greatest punk records of 1979, imo.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The original Nurses Whispering Verses was never reissued. Shame as it's a lovely version. I have it on the original Seaside cassette.