Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I listen to that tune A LOT! It's one if the best....puts me in an instant Cardiacs mood in about 1.7 seconds. Killer Tim vocals and brilliant and super difficult to play guitar chord changes. An absolute brilliant piece ( and album). I ordered both this and Sing to God vinyl LPs from the ABC on the day Tim died this past July.
    It's a flippin' fantastic song! Instant Cardiacs mood is right. Absolutely brilliant composition, and it's so high energy. I got HBaEB on vinyl back in 2018 I think; would love to get Sing To God and Guns on vinyl too.

This evening my mom and dad came over to help me install some shelves, and afterward we had dinner together in my living room. (We all work from home, and we wear masks even around each other, so we consider the risk of coronavirus exposure among ourselves to be relatively low). Before dinner, I showed them this video:

I can't remember if this vid has been discussed in this thread, but I thought it was very cool -- especially the part about the "Cardiacs cadence", and that whole section. They both know who Cardiacs are and so I wanted to give them a little more insight into the band and music (and Tim).

If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I can't remember if this vid has been discussed in this thread, but I thought it was very cool -- especially the part about the "Cardiacs cadence", and that whole section. They both know who Cardiacs are and so I wanted to give them a little more insight into the band and music (and Tim).
    Excellent! Its a great video - it captures a 'snippet' of the brilliance of Tim and is so heartfelt and authentic. Did they dig it?

I posted that Why-I-Love-them video on my fb page (when I still had fb). The amount of reactions was an overwhelming 0.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I posted that Why-I-Love-them video on my fb page (when I still had fb). The amount of reactions was an overwhelming 0.
    I would've given it a "like" but I don't do FB.

I would've given it a "like" but I don't do FB.
    I did do fb but cancelled my account. I do miss the Cardiacs fb group though. The rest I miss like a sore tooth.

Excellent! Its a great video - it captures a 'snippet' of the brilliance of Tim and is so heartfelt and authentic. Did they dig it?
    Totally agreed, it's great stuff. Like you said, it's heartfelt. Even if it's only a snippet of Tim's brilliance, I hope that video brings his music to more peoples' attention.

My parents both thought it was interesting, and we talked about it a little bit. I think they appreciated the uniqueness of Tim/Cardiacs, when it was presented in that video how diverse they were, and the music theory aspects they thought were cool. They both know I'm a huge fan, and I've played some Cardiacs for them in the past -- they were surprised I liked them, given that my favorite band has been Genesis ever since I was about 18. Cardiacs and Genesis are worlds apart in many ways... But what can I say? Good music is good music, regardless of genre.

My folks have good taste in music and their likes are pretty diverse. They're 63 and 60 as of now. It's because of them that I grew up hearing stuff like The Beatles, Queen, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Anita Baker, Patsy Cline, Dwight Yoakam, The Cars, R.E.M., Pink Floyd... Just to name a few.

Sorry, I've had some whisky and now I'm rambling. Thinking I'll put on some Special OceanLandWorld this evening.

I did do fb but cancelled my account. I do miss the Cardiacs fb group though. The rest I miss like a sore tooth.
    I'm with ya. I still have Facebook, but I never use it to actually post anything. It's 99% terrible now, IMO. Only reason I've kept it is to stay in touch with a few friends, and because of Spotify.

I can see how one would miss the Cardiacs group. I'm not a member, but maybe I should try to join.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcat View Post
    Good to see Cardiacs getting a shout-out from DG.

To my ears, I think the Blur/Cardiacs connection is more down to both bands being influenced by the whimsical vibe of The Kinks. (Although obviously Blur liked Cardiacs).
    Interesting observation. I've been listening to Cardiacs and telling my son about them. Turns out he's a fan of Blur (he's played a song or two in the car), and he's also a big fan of early Kinks. So now I'll have to listen to more early Kinks. I've heard some and it usually doesn't grab me much. But it should. Apparently either Ray or Dave Davies has gone nutso on Twitter! Not nutso, just old and mentioning tits. LOL
    Last edited by JKL2000; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:35 PM.

Kinks were great, man. Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One is a fantastic record IMO. But they had plenty of other great music back then.

Jed, how old is your son by the way?

Are diggin The Cardiacs yet Jed-eye?

Are diggin The Cardiacs yet Jed-eye?
    Yeah, what he said.

Btw, there is a local covers band named Jed-Eye who plays around the town where I live. Our bassist is their ex-bassist actually (although we had played together in another band, over ten years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Interesting observation. I've been listening to Cardiacs and telling my son about them. Turns out he's a fan of Blur (he's played a song or two in the car), and he's also a big fan of early Kinks. So now I'll have to listen to more early Kinks. I've heard some and it usually doesn't grab me much. But it should. Apparently either Ray or Dave Davies has gone nutso on Twitter! Not nutso, just old and mentioning tits. LOL
    Play this tune to your son:

Cardiacs doing a Kinks tune.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just ordered the A Little Man... and On Land and In the Sea CDs from ABC. I need to be able to hold these albums and read the booklets and lyrics.

I'm on the Cardiacs bus!

I just ordered the A Little Man... and On Land and In the Sea CDs from ABC. I need to be able to hold these albums and read the booklets and lyrics.

I'm on the Cardiacs bus!
    Welcome aboard, my man!

On Land and In the Sea was my first Cardiacs album, followed by A Little Man. You won't regret it!

I'm on the Cardiacs bus!
    And you are in for an amazing ride! The bus does not stop BTW. There is no pull cord.

You have two great ones (especially A Little Man...) to start.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

I'm on the Cardiacs bus!
    A Bus for a Bus on the Bus.

A Bus for a Bus on the Bus.
    With leather?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    With leather?
    In Serious Leather . . .
    (And all the rest of whom for which
    To whensonever of partially indeterminate
    Bio-chemical degradation
    Seek the path to the sudsy yellow nozzle
    Of their foaming nocturnal
    Parametric digital whole-wheat inter-faith
    Geo-thermal terpsichorean ejectamenta)

There's all kinds of to-do about this on the Cardiacs FB group. It is the newest controversy, replacing the recent Dave Grohl one.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    There's all kinds of to-do about this on the Cardiacs FB group. It is the newest controversy, replacing the recent Dave Grohl one.
    What's the controversy on there?

I generally had no way to listen to Cardiacs in my car since my car no longer has a CD player, so now I can.

What's the controversy on there?
    The remuneration factor, as always, but I think it's been largely quelled, perhaps some posts removed since it's calmer today than when I saw it last night.

I still do not see any Cardiacs albums on spotify, only a few songs.

I believe they were already on apple music for quite a while.

Does not matter to me. I never use spotify or apple music anyway.

I still do not see any Cardiacs albums on spotify, only a few songs.

I believe they were already on apple music for quite a while.

Does not matter to me. I never use spotify or apple music anyway.
    Yeah its weird....they don't pop up on an artist search but all of the albums are there.