Page 153 of 185 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

No words, my friends.

To anyone on Twitter, please join in my tribute thread to Tim.
    https://twitter.com/Tangento/status/...485206018?s=20
    -----------

"You have the option to drill additional holes in the label,
    causing the record to rotate off the side of the turntable"

-Tom Ellard - Severed Heads

So, having seen this thread for years and being intimidated by its size, I must confess to not having listened to a note of Cardiacs before this week. With Tim's passing, I finally got up the courage to explore. I first watched the Maresnest live concert, as I tend to be drawn to bands that can really bring it in a live context. Jaw meets floor, repeatedly. Then I listened today to Sing to God straight through. I honestly don't know what to say. This is intensity defined. The commitment and exuberance of every track is palpable, and the more I listened the more I wanted to hear. I mean, where the ever-loving fuck did this stuff come from? I swear I thought I was going to levitate through the ceiling during the last three minutes of 'Dirty Boy'. Thanks once again to PE for turning me on to something new, and more importantly, thanks to Tim and the band for existing - sorry it took me so long to come around.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    So, having seen this thread for years and being intimidated by its size, I must confess to not having listened to a note of Cardiacs before this week. With Tim's passing, I finally got up the courage to explore. I first watched the Maresnest live concert, as I tend to be drawn to bands that can really bring it in a live context. Jaw meets floor, repeatedly. Then I listened today to Sing to God straight through. I honestly don't know what to say. This is intensity defined. The commitment and exuberance of every track is palpable, and the more I listened the more I wanted to hear. I mean, where the ever-loving fuck did this stuff come from? I swear I thought I was going to levitate through the ceiling during the last three minutes of 'Dirty Boy'. Thanks once again to PE for turning me on to something new, and more importantly, thanks to Tim and the band for existing - sorry it took me so long to come around.
    Congrats man. I was introduced to Cardiacs here on PE, and to say that the band changed my life is an understatement. You have the most amazing musical journey ahead of you - I almost envy you for being able to hear this music fresh - but honestly its just as good hearing "Dirty Boy" and "Home of Fadeless Splendour" for the 567th time too. My favorite band of all time.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Amazing. We all have our own initiation stories, and if ever there was a 'better late than never' band, it's this one. So welcome.

For me, they were the first band since I discovered Van Der Graaf Generator in my late teens that made me actually say "What the fuck am I listening to?!" and then very quickly change to: "I need to hear that again. NOW." - It was pure love after that, and I've never looked back. I can't. I wouldn't if I could though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

In case you need more proof of Tim's genius Not a note wasted, this is such a brilliant composed piece in every aspect - melodically, harmonically, rhythmically - and that monstrous momentum forward is just contagious. But then such as the case with Tim - he pulls a '180' when you are not expecting it and can bring tears with such an emotionally heartfelt and poignant coda. Hats off to this guy for diving in to this monster and giving it a real go! It's not perfect but its true perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

In case you need more proof of Tim's genius Not a note wasted, this is such a brilliant composed piece in every aspect - melodically, harmonically, rhythmically - and that monstrous momentum forward is just contagious. But then such as the case with Tim - he pulls a '180' when you are not expecting it and can bring tears with such an emotionally heartfelt and poignant coda. Hats off to this guy for diving in to this monster and giving it a real go! It's not perfect but its true perfection.
    And I also think its wonderful to see such young kids, who never experienced them as an 'active' band, totally dig Cardiacs.

A studio version of this track just popped up on Youtube. Sound quality is not so good but the immense beauty of the thing shines through anyway

This was/is supposed to be the final track from LSD

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    A studio version of this track just popped up on Youtube. Sound quality is not so good but the immense beauty of the thing shines through anyway

there has got to be some way for this album to see the light of day in some form...
    even guest cardiacs family vocalists 'finishing' the album, maybe alongside the original instrumental versions!

tim's music is too important to not see release!!

i understand it may not be a priority at this point in time, but i do hope it's a project some are willing to undertake at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post

I have only heard a live version of this on YT somewhere.

Posted today at fb:

Good morning, everyone,

How are you bearing up? Here, amongst close friends and family, the reality of our loss is beginning to descend and it hurts to the core.

We know that you are grieving, too. You have sent us some beautiful messages and these will be shared with all of Tim's loved ones. Thank you. Thank you for appreciating that we did our very best to make his life good. Thank you for knowing we did everything we could to keep him safe. Thank you for never doubting us, for trusting us and for always supporting us when we asked for your help.

YOU helped make his last days happy, almost contented, ones. This must not be underestimated. You are instructed to internalise this FACT and allow it to assist you in the grieving process which, as any shithead on the street can tell you, correlates precisely to the love that you feel.

Whilst a funeral will likely be kept private, The ALPHABET BUSINESS CONCERN will arrange something for you to be part of, so that you may share your grief with others that understand how you feel. We must ensure, though, that we celebrate befittingly and not spend the whole time weeping like a bunch of first world pricks. The logistics of this event will take time to organise given the current pestilence and feelings of deep sadness and pain that we are all experiencing.

Also, of course, we like things to be really fucking good and apposite: we will want to fully reflect his light that we may all bathe, be restored and keep up the work of being good humans. And of being kind and compassionate to all creatures. And of fishing out the bugs from the bath before you fill it. And of delighting in pheasants that come into your garden. And to not let house plants die of thirst.

This was no ordinary life. This was no ordinary rock star. This was someone whose peg was made bespoke and fitted no convenient hole. In short, we know how you feel and we know you need to show it. We will help you with that as best we can when the times allow us.

NB. At this esteemed event, anyone that hasn't learned the words to HOME OF FADELESS SPLENDOUR off by heart will be rightly ashamed of themselves but not judged. Their personal shame will be their own cross to bear FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE.

With very much love to you all,
    Mary x

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Here's the link to Steve Davis' 2 hour Tim tribute radio show, outstanding

https://www.phoenixfm.com/2020/07/30...rWL7CtexjSud5w
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I can’t believe I missed this. Just as I missed seeing Cardiacs weave their strange magic live, I missed Dr Smith’s passing. RIP. If there’s an afterlife, the music will be better now, if not, the worlds a better place for your insane, beautiful music, and that’s what counts anyway.
    Condolences to friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Here's the link to Steve Davis' 2 hour Tim tribute radio show, outstanding

https://www.phoenixfm.com/2020/07/30...rWL7CtexjSud5w
    I listened to the first half of this last night...great memories and tunes

'twas a fine tribute indeed. Listening live, i just about managed to hold it together until Vermin Mangle at the end crashed me though the floor again.

There's also this show from superfan Adrian 'Belch' Bell (he of '101 Cardiacs gigs' fame). I haven't heard it all yet, but i'm finding it helpful in a cathartic way. Hoping everyone here is doing ok.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    'twas a fine tribute indeed. Listening live, i just about managed to hold it together until Vermin Mangle at the end crashed me though the floor again.

There's also this show from superfan Adrian 'Belch' Bell (he of '101 Cardiacs gigs' fame). I haven't heard it all yet, but i'm finding it helpful in a cathartic way. Hoping everyone here is doing ok.
    Thanks man - will definitely give a listen. Is his book still available without spending $5mil for a used copy?

FYI, some people on the Cardiacs Facebook group are trying to make a virtual choir version of Home Of Fadeless Splendour - in case anyone here is interested in participating and didn't notice that.

Quote Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
    FYI, some people on the Cardiacs Facebook group are trying to make a virtual choir version of Home Of Fadeless Splendour - in case anyone here is interested in participating and didn't notice that.
    Can you send a link to that directly? I don't see it..thx

Can you send a link to that directly? I don't see it..thx
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/2215...3943042135374/

Ok thanks

Yesterday my younger brother and I drove up to our grandparents' house to help our grandpa with his truck (we all wore face masks btw ). On the way, I played "Stoneage Dinosaurs" in the car, and after about 30 seconds he looked over and said "You like this song?"

I laughed and said "Yes!"

After it finished, he went "If all their stuff sounded like that, I'd probably like them." The reason he asked if I liked it was because to him it sounded so different from what he normally associates with Cardiacs.

First time he has liked a Cardiacs song! Maybe there's hope for him yet. He has good taste in music but I've been trying to get him to come around on Cardiacs for a few years now, to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yesterday my younger brother and I drove up to our grandparents' house to help our grandpa with his truck (we all wore face masks btw ). On the way, I played "Stoneage Dinosaurs" in the car, and after about 30 seconds he looked over and said "You like this song?"

I laughed and said "Yes!"

After it finished, he went "If all their stuff sounded like that, I'd probably like them." The reason he asked if I liked it was because to him it sounded so different from what he normally associates with Cardiacs.

First time he has liked a Cardiacs song! Maybe there's hope for him yet. He has good taste in music but I've been trying to get him to come around on Cardiacs for a few years now, to no avail.
    Play him some Sea Nymphs and Tim's solo album, that can dull the sharp edges of Cardiacs to the newbie.

Play him some Sea Nymphs and Tim's solo album, that can dull the sharp edges of Cardiacs to the newbie.
    Those are great suggestions. I forgot all about Sea Nymphs.

He did like "This Grounds Town" when I sent him a link to the song on YouTube a few years ago, so you may be onto something with OceanLandWorld.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Those are great suggestions. I forgot all about Sea Nymphs.

He did like "This Grounds Town" when I sent him a link to the song on YouTube a few years ago, so you may be onto something with OceanLandWorld.
    When I made Cardiacs mixes for people on CD, I would place some Sea Nymphs on it sporadically to give the "illusion" that they can be mellow too

A Little Man (album) crankin' right now on the hifi after a few drinks....oh yeah. I love Tim! And this album....

Icing on the World is one of the greatest Cardiacs tunes, period.

New Cardiacs tune on its way.

https://thequietus.com/articles/2885...ix_cookie=true

Thus proving that the world is not completely shit.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.