Page 14 of 185 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

There is a whole video, from which those clips are taken. It was near to completion before Tim fell ill. It was shown in its entirity at a benefit gig in Salisbury recently. It is amazing!!!!! Not other clips have been released though.

Cardiacs thread= 14 pages. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    There is a whole video, from which those clips are taken. It was near to completion before Tim fell ill. It was shown in its entirity at a benefit gig in Salisbury recently. It is amazing!!!!! Not other clips have been released though.
    Has it been made for public consumption and purchase?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    Cardiacs thread= 14 pages. Amazing!
    You're welcome.

I didn't realize my original post was back in January. Wow!
    Last edited by frippster; 10-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Got my order from Wayside today.

It's a Cardiacs Saturday night here in the Seattle vicinity. Loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Has it been made for public consumption and purchase?
    No news of this happening. Sadly. I'd kill to see it again.

Any UK based folks need to know that there is a benefit for Tim at the Fighting Cocks in Kingston this Saturday.

Tickets available here:- http://www.wegottickets.com/event/241329

My package from Wayside containing "A Little Man and a House" arrived today and after a busy, stressful week, I finally got the chance to kick back and play the CD in headphones. All I have to say is ... Wow. Love the intensity, the horns / wood winds and the unexpected twists and turns. This is genuinely fun music to listen to and I'm in a better mood now than I was when I put it on. That's great! My first Cardiacs experience was truly something unique and memorable. I'm looking forward to digesting this and discovering more from this great band.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    My package from Wayside containing "A Little Man and a House" arrived today and after a busy, stressful week, I finally got the chance to kick back and play the CD in headphones. All I have to say is ... Wow. Love the intensity, the horns / wood winds and the unexpected twists and turns. This is genuinely fun music to listen to and I'm in a better mood now than I was when I put it on. That's great! My first Cardiacs experience was truly something unique and memorable. I'm looking forward to digesting this and discovering more from this great band.
    Fucking A!!!!!

I just ordered the Cardiacs DVD from Wayside. I have never heard a note of their music, but the descriptions sound up my alley and how can 14 pages of PE fans be wrong?

So I look forward to watching/listening. If I like it I'll start picking up the CD catalogue. If not, y'all will hear a few words from me...

Listening again to a bunch of tunes from all the albums, my god these guys are brilliant! Simply amazing music. I am going to order/christmas wishlist all the albums, probably starting with Sing to God and A Little Man... Tim Smith has some jaw dropping songs. So hard to pick favorites, but "Whole World Window" is so damn beautiful.
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    So hard to pick favorites, but "Whole World Window" is so damn beautiful.
    Am I the only one who gets a bit of a "Court of the Crimson King" vibe with that one?

chalkpie
    Listening again to a bunch of tunes from all the albums, my god these guys are brilliant! Simply amazing music. I am going to order/christmas wishlist all the albums, probably starting with Sing to God and A Little Man... Tim Smith has some jaw dropping songs. So hard to pick favorites, but "Whole World Window" is so damn beautiful.
    Mikey - give "Songs for Ships..." another spin, especially "Loosefish Scapegrace". That song is a like a symphonic movement in an 8 minute rock tune.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Am I the only one who gets a bit of a "Court of the Crimson King" vibe with that one?
    I get that too, it's like a moody symphonic master statement. I love it.

Songs for Ships and Irons is killer, lots of great stuff on there, going to revisit that one too! All Spectacular!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

For over 20 years now, when asked this Q, I have told people to start with "Songs for Ships & Irons" still my fav.

And the good news is.......

Songs for ships and Irons is NOW available at cardiacs.net!!

ANd excellent album for people that want to try some Cardiacs and a must-have for all fans.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    And the good news is.......

Songs for ships and Irons is NOW available at cardiacs.net!!
    Excellent, brilliant! My vinyl copy is starting to get a bit tired, so I've recently been bidding on an old copy on ebay, so now I can drop that.

chalkpie
    I get that too, it's like a moody symphonic master statement. I love it.

Songs for Ships and Irons is killer, lots of great stuff on there, going to revisit that one too! All Spectacular!
    Cardiacs+-+Big+Ship+EP+-+12%u002522+RECORD%2FMAXI+SINGLE-463312.jpg

For those of you who didn't know this, "Songs for Ships.." contains a mini-album called "Big Ship", which makes up the 1st five (5) tracks on "Songs". Info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Shi...diacs_album%29

I was lucky enough to find a used copy of Songs for Ships on Amazon, of all places, about a month or so ago.

Definitely one of my favorite of the Cardiacs items I've heard thus far...well worth owning for especially anyone who really dug the earlier albums like Little Man and On Land & In Sea.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Actually Chalkpie, Songs for Ships & Irons is in fact three previously released 12" singles (all of which I've got) plus one extra track.

Big Ship. Tracks: 1-5
    There's Too Many Irons in the Fire. Tracks 7,8,10
    Susannah's Still Alive. Tracks 9 & 11
    Extra: Everything is Easy. Track 6

(I'm a major Cardiacs know it all I'm afraid)

Also a Cardiacs factoid: This will be the first time since 1997 (when SFS&I went out of print) that those studio versions on Ships & Irons have been available for purchase as new product i.e. CD. As most of those songs aren't available on any other CDs.
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-11-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Indeed. Strange that they didn't include Susannah's Still Alive. They could have done when putting it out on CD.

Also overlooked is the studio version of Loosefish Scapegrace which has only appeared (as a studio recording) on the German CD issue of "On Land and in the Sea" - Torso records.

I'd always wondered about that & I remember asking Tim at a Sleepy People gig, and I'm sure he said something about not having permission from The Kinks to do so.

Time for a Cardiacs rarities thread methinks, but perhaps at the other place I've got a 12" Torso (Dutch) copy of Is This The Life, with a totally different cover photo and one different B side track to the ABC version.....so there!

What's on the B-side?

Suzannah's Still Alive did surface on CD:- http://www.allmusic.com/album/shangr...s-mw0000202409

That's a nice rarity to track down.

Oh, you're putting me on the spot now. I'll tell you later when I get home & can pull it off the shelf, obviously I'm Eating in Bed is there, they replaced Goosegash. I'll put my neck out and say it was Loosefish Scapegrace. But I'll confirm later. I've got both the ABC & the Torso vinyl of the man/house/window album.

You see the Torso CD in 88 (unlike the 88 ABC original vinyl and 95 ABC CD) contains both Goosegash and Loosefish Scapegrace as well as a couple of other tracks not on the ABC versions, which had 11 tracks, while the Torso CD had 15!!!

And the new released version of the CD only has the original 11 tracks, so I think they missed a trick there actually, both Goosy and Loosy could have been added as extras.
    But then Ships & Irons wouldn't have been as attractive as a studio album.
    From what I can work out & guess at Ships & Irons probably wasn't given out in a Torso verison hence those 4 tracks released on the Torso CD

Can you guess the other 2 extras? Yes, the other 2 are also on Ships & Irons

You've got till I get home to guess.