Page 112 of 185 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4624

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

Uz Jsme Doma are one of the few Cardiacs-alike bands that are actually worth a damn. Hollywood and Rybí tuk are both superb (and Live In Vancouver along with Maresnest, and NoMeansNo's Live And Cuddly is one of the great live albums).

Anyway, currently listening to acoustic Tim

Cardiacs--where to start?

How exactly does a mortal write Nurses Whispering Verses? Does the world even realize how lucky it is to share this existence with that man?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, Seaside is one of my Top 3-5 Cardiacs albums. Anyone else? ESPECIALLY the Original version!

2 cds and two tshirts ordered!

Me too. Yay! Nov 4th isnt far off - and a tiny bit late for my birthday. I'll take it.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    By the way, Seaside is one of my Top 3-5 Cardiacs albums. Anyone else? ESPECIALLY the Original version!

I have a difficult time considering what my favorite cardiacs albums are, but its certainly more than worthy and "in there". I love the sound of that album - some of the best engineered drum sounds on any Cardiacs studio albums IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I have a difficult time considering what my favorite cardiacs albums are, but its certainly more than worthy and "in there". I love the sound of that album - some of the best engineered drum sounds on any Cardiacs studio albums IMO.
    I love the material on that album. All killer no filler. The only minor downside is that Tims voice has not fully matured yet. He sounds better on the albums that came after.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I love the material on that album. All killer no filler. The only minor downside is that Tims voice has not fully matured yet. He sounds better on the albums that came after.
    His voice is money on Heaven Born And Ever Bright That sucker has sneaked into 2nd on my list of favs... Songs For Ships and Irons is still my go to.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    At times he even sounds a lot like Mark Cawthra. Weird!!

I'm surprised to find no mention of this so far, but if you're in the UK you might like to know that Knifeworld are curating a 1 day prog festival in Aldershot this Saturday. Five bands on the bill (including William D Drake), and tickets are £14. Details here:

http://www.knifeworld.co.uk/event/knifeworld-all-dayer/

Wow! 112 pages on this thread. You people have good taste. Cardiacs rock.

Over and out.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by tonewalk View Post
    I'm surprised to find no mention of this so far, but if you're in the UK you might like to know that Knifeworld are curating a 1 day prog festival in Aldershot this Saturday. Five bands on the bill (including William D Drake), and tickets are £14. Details here:

http://www.knifeworld.co.uk/event/knifeworld-all-dayer/
    Aw man, I wish I lived there so I could attend.

and the Spratleys Japs live show coming up... aRGGG

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    and the Spratleys Japs live show coming up... aRGGG
    Yes, you can't miss this wonderful Tim' "side" project live!
    They're playing the whole album "Pony" in its entirety....

And meanwhile...
    http://abc-mary.myshopify.com/produc...leysjapstshirt

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Yes, you can't miss this wonderful Tim' "side" project live!
    They're playing the whole album "Pony" in its entirety....

And meanwhile...
    http://abc-mary.myshopify.com/produc...leysjapstshirt

Trying SOOOO hard to move things around to get to this ... but i don't think i can fit it in the diary. Fingers-crossed!!!

Apologies if this has been posted before. Title track from up-coming Sea Nymphs album, presumably a demo/radio session. Anyway, never heard it before but I love it & can't wait for the album. Sounds more like a lost Cardiacs track rather than Sea Nymphs to me.

Here's a rare YouTube review. Young lad unfamiliar with Cardiacs dissects 'On Land and in the Sea'. He's quite impressed but not completely bowled over by it. It comes across a bit joyless & soulless; he ranks each track in a dry, scientific fashion as if examining microbes in a petri dish. Not taking the time to just let the music sink in & work it's magic is a fatal flaw. Mind you, I'm biased and tend to get irrationally confused when newcomers aren't blown away by Cardiacs. It's clearly a disease of some sort.
    Last edited by anant; 10-15-2016 at 06:02 PM.

In honor of the coming new one!

Jon Poole on Keyboards! Where's Bill?

Bill left for a bit in the early 90s. The first time I saw them was with Jon too. I think they only did a handful of gigs with this line up.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    In honor of the coming new one!
    Sounds marvelous! That kick drum sound is massive.

Quote Originally Posted by anant View Post
    Here's a rare YouTube review. Young lad unfamiliar with Cardiacs dissects 'On Land and in the Sea'. He's quite impressed but not completely bowled over by it. It comes across a bit joyless & soulless; he ranks each track in a dry, scientific fashion as if examining microbes in a petri dish. Not taking the time to just let the music sink in & work it's magic is a fatal flaw. Mind you, I'm biased and tend to get irrationally confused when newcomers aren't blown away by Cardiacs. It's clearly a disease of some sort.
    Well, he obviously delivered a pretty sober review, but he did it respectfully. I have no issues with this, particularly since On Land and in the Sea is not one of my top Cardiacs picks. All the criticisms he gave were pretty valid, though I don't agree that Tim's guitar contributions are nil and that the arrangements are poor. I can see someone being overwhelmed by the complexity, it's a fairly demanding record even for the converted.

Now if he'd given a poor review to Songs for Ships and Irons, we'd fight!

PS - I'd rate Cardiacs over PTree, Opeth and the Beatles ANY DAY!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post

Now if he'd given a poor review to Songs for Ships and Irons, we'd fight!
    OH BOY... I'd hold them down for you.

I'm kinda lazy tonight... more info from anyone on this? So damn good.

Jon and Bobby Leafy's band pre-Cardiacs. That's Bob on vocals.

I think they only released a couple of demo tapes in the early 90's. I have them on cdrs somewhere, but never particularly cared for them (that song's good though). Tim obviously did.

Did some googling and found this great quote from Jon (from here)
    In 1991 I went to see Cardiacs last gig with Bic and Drakey (Tim Quy had already gone) which I think was the Oxford co-op hall and Bic told me he was leaving coz he got busy with Levitation. Bob Leith and myself had been obsessive fans following them up and down the UK and giving them tapes of our band “Ad Nauseam” who had more of a hint of Cardiacs in it but also had a slightly more proggy Genesis element and sometimes more embarrasingly an 80’s rock element.

We became friends with Dominic and gradually met the others one-by-one as they got into our stupid little tape. At the Oxford gig I bumped into Tim who said he was gonna make a trip to Milton Keynes to see Ad Nauseam’s first gig. (Dominic sat in on drums on one song at this gig.) I was very excited at the thought of my hero coming to see me play and blurted out something really stupid like “What?! You mean you’re gonna travel up in a car and everything?!”
    He replied, “No, I’m gonna get dragged up the M1 by my fucking teeth, you stupid cunt.”
    Last edited by loosefish; 10-17-2016 at 05:17 AM.