Page 10 of 185 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardiacs--where to start?

It's coming

UPDATE

Since this letter appeared I have received various phone calls, often late in the evening, from a person of unspecified gender, with a harsh raspy voice, claiming to represent the Alphabet Business Concern. They tell me that something is about to happen and that an announcement is immanent. The shop and its associated technologies are FINISHED are currently being evaluated by ABC. Once it is considered 'fit for purpose' and official announcment will be made and Mary will get to work. A wide selection of CDs Vinyl and T-Shirts and other so-called rarities from original stock will be IMMEDIATELY available, at proper 'shop prices' with more added in the coming weeks and they will be rare no more. Mary will be very busy. Very busy indeed.

I've never listened to this band...but am planning to try...however, if I can trust what I'm reading on-line...I don't think it's going to work for me. But let's have a listen...
    For that which is not,
    there is no coming into being
    and for that which is,
    there is no ceasing to be;
    yea of both of these the lookers into truth have seen an end.
    Bhagavad Gita

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    These are very recent pictures of Tim that were posted at The Mares Nest. Its so great to see him.

I can't figure out how to post larger pics of him, but if click on those, they do expand.

Love you Tim.
    these almost make me well up. much love and respect.

August 15th

The news you've all been waiting for is here! The Cardiacs shop will reopen on August 15th, 2013. There will be CDs, Vinyl and clothing for sale. Since it has been closed for five long years, we anticipate huge demand so a request for your patience is made as it may take some time to process orders, initially.

Needless to say, we will be working around the clock to get your shopping to you as quickly as possible. At first, the shop will be run from cardiacs.net. When the website reconstruction is completed, it will return home to cardiacs.com. We will keep you posted.

That's it. Tune in to Marc Riley on BBC 6Music tonight (30 July)to hear more...

So is are your wishlist for the Cardiacs shop?

Mine is:
    All that Glitters is a mares nest DVD
    Mr and Mr Smith and Mr Drake
    Spratleys Japs

I know the last two will not me in the shop initially (but hopefully later they will). I AM hoping for that DVD though!
    ....and I will probably get me a cool T-shirt.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    So I'll need some advice before shopping, I've got Sing To God Part 1 & 2. I'm assuming Little Man & On Land are next up?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Garage Concerts, , Songs for Ships and Irons, and Mare's Nest DVD if such a thing will actually exist when the shop opens.

I want to get the original mix of Heaven Born but I think I will have to keep looking for a good deal on that on ebay because I don't imagine they will reissue it, though I was told that the itunes download was the original version and not the remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    So I'll need some advice before shopping, I've got Sing To God Part 1 & 2. I'm assuming Little Man & On Land are next up?
    Those are definitely the next studio albums to get and after that I would suggest the Garage Concerts for live albums.

And definetly get SOng for Ships and Irons as well. This was not a real album but a collection of (maxi)singles. It contains many Cardiacs classics as 'Tarred and Feathered', 'The Big ship' and "Stoneage dinosaus' as well as some personal favorites as 'Burn your House brown'and 'Blind in safety and leafy in love'
    An absolute must have album.

I would refrain from getting Archive and the Seaside (although eventually you'll want to get them all); I would get the garage concerts 1 & 2 instead. All the songs from Archive and the Seaside are on the garage concerts in a much better sound quality and the band was in sublime form.

If you get hooked, you're going to want everything eventually.

^^^^ This is basically correct but I think the two you listed are definitely the place to go next.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    So is are your wishlist for the Cardiacs shop?.
    TiM SMiTH’S EXTRA SPECIAL OCEAN LAND WORLD

I would pay a ton for a Sing to God vinyl which I would immediately frame

Will these re issues include some sort of remastering or will the audio be identical to the previous editions ?

chalkpie
    Hey Udester - my guess is they will be just re-issues with no sonic enhancements. Its a shame that you and Tim couldn't hook up and discuss the possibilities of remastering since I know these albums can sound better. Not that they are bad, but the majority were recorded in the 80's and 90's, and they sound that way.

Maybe I will hire you to remaster my own private stash

Heaven Born and Ever Bright could use a remaster (to boost the bottom end) but I don't think anything else needs to be touched

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Heaven Born and Ever Bright could use a remaster (to boost the bottom end) but I don't think anything else needs to be touched
    I agree with this. Maybe albums like 'a litle man' and 'on land and in the sea' sound a bit dated but it sounds fine to me. I grew up with the Cardiacs so the sound represents the time they were made in. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Even de demo quality of Archive and the seaside has its charm. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    I mentioned it before but Heaven Born was actually messed up by a remaster, the original release on Rough Trade sounded a lot better than the ABC reissue a few years later. It would be better if they went to the original mix.

oh yeah...I remember that coming up somewhere...forgot it was here!

Cardiacs music in general is very trebley but I think that is perhaps for the best!

chalkpie
    AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCMENT

Unread postby ABC-D » Tue Jul 30, 2013 09:10
    The news you've all been waiting for is here! Cardiacs shop will reopen on August 15th, 2013. There will be CDs, Vinyl and clothing for sale. Since it has been closed for five long years, we anticipate huge demand so a request for your patience is made as it may take some time to process orders, initially. Needless to say, we will be working around the clock to get your shopping to you as quickly as possible. At first, the shop will be run from cardiacs.net. When the website reconstruction is completed, it will return home to cardiacs.com. We will keep you posted.

That's it. Tune in to Marc Riley on BBC 6Music tonight to hear more...

The shop is back and they have Sea Nymphs and The double disc Sing To God, no Garage Concerts though.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Time to go shopping.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    The shop is back and they have Sea Nymphs and The double disc Sing To God, no Garage Concerts though.
    I'm not seeing the shop......link?

Thx.

www.cardiacs.net

until they revamp the old site

I just picked up, A little Man, and, On Land and in the Sea. It's pricey($50 US) for both, but when you consider what they were fetching on ebay last week, it's quite a bargain.