Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Top Three Focus Albums

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    nice summary and I agree

but I will add that Ship Of Memories, albeit a collection of rare pieces, makes for a very good album as well
    Agreed once again. I picked up SOM last year and it's a strong album in Focus' catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, Steve Smith played on a Focus record? Never knew that, he must have been about 20 at the time.

The original drummer is great in that clip, reminds me of Michael Giles and the guy that Page and Plant used..a wiry, wound up guy who has incredible feel for the music..jazzy as all get out.

I picked up Focus III and can't wait to give it a spin, only familiar with Sylvia which was played as the end of a DJs show on WNEW FM in New York back in the day (anybody remember that??).

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    Wow, Steve Smith played on a Focus record? Never knew that, he must have been about 20 at the time.
    He also carried Eef Albers, the guitarist from that Focus lineup, over to Vital Information.

Quote Originally Posted by chescorph View Post
    when did Journey start?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

when did Journey start?
    Around 1974.
    According to Wikipedia Smith joined in '78 the same year he was on that last Focus album, he was 23-24 at the time.
    For some reason I thought Focus was done by '78.

yes, Focus III has some excellent music on it, and I find that Drum solo completely uninspired and boring. Pierre VDL is a good drummer, but that solo is flat. I edited it out when I made my Focus remastered volume II CDR
    Today I could agree about the long solos in general in "Anonymous II", they do go on and on and there's really nothing they hadn't done before. That said, I certainly did listen to the whole thing so many times back when it came out that I know all those bloody solos by heart. Can't complain though, I wore out the record back in the day....

I do like the opening and ending bits a lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    No love for Focus Live at The Rainbow?
    Lots of love. Prefer it to 3.

Moving Waves is a stone cold classic!