Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phil Collins would have quit Genesis for The Who!

I wasn't aware that KJ had already joined The Who before the 80's started, actually. (I guess I must re-visit Peter's book Who I Am)

But then again, my story with the Who ended with Who Are You, despite me seeing them twice on their farewell tour (including the tour finale in Toronto's MLG)

OK, not "boring to death"... just boring ... especially compared to Loonie
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Kenney Jones' drumming sounds a bit more explosive on It's Hard. The mix also tends to push the drums more to the front, so the contrast with the classic Who records is less obvious. It sounds as if they were trying to recapture some of the old energy, without really having the passion for it. Still I think it was a decent album and not a bad one to end the first part of their career with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    (...)

Unlike KJ, Keith Moon was a pin-up boy and the greatest showman among the drummers....Though, I find his life story as rather sad than "funny".

Oh and just one more song from Face Dances of which I think that there was no way that Keith Moon was able to play so majestically like KJ did do, especially not in 1981 as Moonie's health was ruined already in 1977

Last edited by Svetonio; 10-23-2016 at 04:55 AM.

As with his one-time bandmate Ronnie Wood in The 'Stones, you won't find Kenney Jones' best work in The Who- the best work of both can be found in The Faces (and Small Faces in Jones' case). He plays much more effectively on things like 'Green Circles', 'Tin Soldier', 'Stay With Me', 'I Know I'm Losing You', 'You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything' etc.

There's just too much space in Jones' strict time-keeping style in The Who IMHO. Keith Moon's style of playing is what those songs were meant to have, and it sounds weird without that. But the nadir of The Who for me came in that late 80s period, with Simon Phillips on drums. (Incidentally, I think that's the only time Phil has ever appeared with them...he did 'Fiddle About' live with them in that period. I can see the 'Phil Collins ruined The Who' remarks already...) By the time Zak Starkey joined, they were sounding right again...such a shame about Entwistle's death and the hard-to-believe circumstances.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    As with his one-time bandmate Ronnie Wood in The 'Stones, you won't find Kenney Jones' best work in The Who- the best work of both can be found in The Faces (and Small Faces in Jones' case). He plays much more effectively on things like 'Green Circles', 'Tin Soldier', 'Stay With Me', 'I Know I'm Losing You', 'You Can Make Me Dance, Sing Or Anything' etc.

There's just too much space in Jones' strict time-keeping style in The Who IMHO. Keith Moon's style of playing is what those songs were meant to have, and it sounds weird without that. But the nadir of The Who for me came in that late 80s period, with Simon Phillips on drums. (Incidentally, I think that's the only time Phil has ever appeared with them...he did 'Fiddle About' live with them in that period. I can see the 'Phil Collins ruined The Who' remarks already...) By the time Zak Starkey joined, they were sounding right again...such a shame about Entwistle's death and the hard-to-believe circumstances.
    Sadly, they didn't recorded a studio album at the time when Zak Starkey was already with The Who and before Entwiste's death in Vegas.
    Pete Townshend said that he had enough songs for that.
    For example this vid features an early version (ending riff, actually) of Old Red Wine, and that was four years before the song was released.

Indeed, the band was great in 2000.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-23-2016 at 06:16 AM.

Greg Lake was drafted in to play bass for those songs...I am unaware if any more than two were recorded.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Greg Lake was drafted in to play bass for those songs...I am unaware if any more than two were recorded.
    Did you heard the story that after Endless Wire was released, Roger Daltrey had an idea that T Bone Burnett to produce a new studio album of The Who but with the covers of some old R&B songs? And that Pete Townshend rejected the project?

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Did you heard the story that after Endless Wire was released, Roger Daltrey had an idea that T Bone Burnett to produce a new studio album of The Who but with the covers of some old R&B songs? And that Pete Townshend rejected the project?
    I also wonder what became of Pete Townshend's project Floss, which (at least at some point) was supposed to give birth to a rock opera and a new Who album.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I also wonder what became of Pete Townshend's project Floss, which (at least at some point) was supposed to give birth to a rock opera and a new Who album.
    Yes I remember that he said that it would be The Who new concept album about a pub-rocker, then that it would be a theatre play, but nothing happens actually.

Sexy sexy Phil, imagine Roger and Phil. I think the female race would go extinct from the hotness

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilIsLife View Post
    Sexy sexy Phil, imagine Roger and Phil. I think the female race would go extinct from the hotness
    As The Who always has mostly male audience (that's the only link to prog), I can't imagine some big exodus of the female fans due to Phil, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    As The Who always has mostly male audience (that's the only link to prog), I can't imagine some big exodus of the female fans due to Phil, lol.
    Anything is possible my friend. Something that hot couldn't be hidden forever...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Gee, what else in the world did not happen?
    I would have joined The Who if asked too.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I doubt it. Pete's songwriting was changing, writing a lot of stuff that I don't think would have been right for The Who, and whomever was sitting on the drum riser wasn't going to change that. I think Pete was also changing as a person, getting fed up with his status as "gravity defying guitar hero" versus simply being an "Artist", the latter being how he wanted to be viewed.

Furthermore, I don't think Phil could have handled the personalities of the other three. The Who was one of the most dysfunctional bands ever. Fistfights were known to breakout between the musicians, with Daltrey reportedly knocking Townshend flat on his ass on at least one occasion. So, Phil may have loved their music, but I'm not sure he'd have lasted more than one rehearsal. That state of things didn't really change until after The Who finally ground to a halt.
    Phil: Come on guys, can't we do something a bit more...pastoral?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The mistake, perhaps, was not breaking the band up immediately after Keith died. But perhaps they had contractual obligations that prevented them from breaking up just yet.
    Like paying their Mastercharge bills...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I wasn't aware that KJ had already joined The Who before the 80's started, actually. (I guess I must re-visit Peter's book Who I Am)

But then again, my story with the Who ended with Who Are You, despite me seeing them twice on their farewell tour (including the tour finale in Toronto's MLG)

You mean their first Farewell tour? Around 86 or so? Of course, they're still around...