Thread: Pink Floyd - Early years footage 1968-1972 on the BBC

Pink Floyd - Early years footage 1968-1972 on the BBC

If you go to the BBC iplayer website you can see last night's broadcast of an hour's worth of newly released vintage footage, presumably as a taster for the box set.

Highlights for me included live versions of Atom Heart Mother (with and without choir) and Let There Be More Light with some great extended improv from Gilmour.

But hurry - only available on the iplayer for 29 days.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Unfortunately not available in the USA
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Some interesting stuff on their. Most poignant actually were the stills at the end from the Obscured by Clouds sessions, with Wots..Uh The Deal playing over them. Some really nice candid shots of them all enjoying themselves and getting on....even one of Waters with an acoustic and a broad grin on his face.

Thanks for the heads up, I had missed this but will download now.

It would be nice if some intrepid person would download it and then upload onto YouTube for us USians
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Intriguing how bad David Gilmour's singing was on the earliest tracks. Either he got better or began to restrict himself to songs that suited his range.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpyser View Post
    Awesome!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ian ponders if it's worth renouncing his hard-won citizenship over....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Ian ponders if it's worth renouncing his hard-won citizenship over....
    Or just buy one of those VPN IP address hiding thingys
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do you have to register here?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you have to register here?
    Yes

Shouldn't most of this footage be released in the upcoming boxset and the ensuing single discs affair the year after?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I enjoyed the thing they played with one of the band members plucking piano strings. An avant-garde piece that reminded me a lot of stuff by Egisto Macchi and the Ennio Morricone group he was in.

There's a repeat at 23:00 tonight, Sunday 23rd, on BBC Four

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Shouldn't most of this footage be released in the upcoming boxset and the ensuing single discs affair the year after?
    That's my expectation too.

I keep getting Pink Floyd related to this "The Early Years" box set posted to my Facebook newsfeed so I finally clicked on the link.. Some of this looks interesting.. as long as they end up releasing it piece by piece it might fill in some of ROIO..
    Amazon looks to be releasing Cre/ation shortly..

Disc one

"Arnold Layne" - 2:57
    "See Emily Play"- 2:55
    "Matilda Mother" (2010 Remix) - 3:58
    "Jugband Blues" (2010 Remix) - 3:02
    "Paintbox" - 3:47
    "Flaming" (BBC Radio Session, 25 September 1967) - 2:42
    "In the Beechwoods" (2010 Mix) - 4:43
    "Point Me at the Sky" - 3:41
    "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" (single ‘B’ Side version) - 5:48
    "Embryo" (from Harvest Records sampler ‘Picnic’) - 4:42
    "US Radio ad for Ummagumma" - 0:22
    "Grantchester Meadows" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) - 3:46*
    "Cymbaline" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) - 3:39
    "Interstellar Overdrive" (Live, Paradiso, Amsterdam, August 1969) - 4:24
    "Green Is the Colour" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) - 3:21*
    "Careful with That Axe, Eugene" (BBC Radio Session, 12 May 1969) - 3:28

Disc two

"On the Highway" (Zabriskie Point remix) - 1:17
    "Auto Scene Version 2" (Zabriskie Point remix) - 1:13
    "The Riot Scene" (Zabriskie Point remix) - 1:40
    "Looking at Map" (Zabriskie Point remix) - 1:56
    "Take Off" (Zabriskie Point remix) - 1:19
    "Embryo (Alternative Version)" (BBC Radio Session, 16 July 1970) - 10:13
    "Atom Heart Mother" (Live Montreux, 21 Nov 1970) (Band only) - 18:01
    "Nothing, Part 14" - 7:01
    "Childhood's End" (2016 remix) - 4:33*
    "Free Four" (2016 remix) - 4:16
    "Stay" (2016 remix) - 4:08

thanx!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ya know, it burns me up that we don't get stuff like this in the U.S. I've been seeing this kind of television going on in England for a long time now and I'm jealous. It seems the BBC is always putting on some cool music shows and documentaries and all we get over here are the Kardashians,400 shows about cops and the world saving adventure they have every week, reruns of lame ass "comedy" shows or some pukefest of pop, hip-hop or country noise where you always have the sneaking suspicion that all those people on the stage are not really human. They're manufactured somewhere in an underground factory in Detroit.

You read of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who and other bands having shows in church basements in England. If that were to happen here, they would demand the church be destroyed (Well, the kind of church I had to go to anyway. Southern Baptist. Its a religion where you go to church and get yelled at for being a sinner. Wonderful stuff for little kids to hear). I got a job at Burger King and volunteered for Sundays to get away from that nonsense, but I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Ya know, it burns me up that we don't get stuff like this in the U.S. I've been seeing this kind of television going on in England for a long time now and I'm jealous. It seems the BBC is always putting on some cool music shows and documentaries and all we get over here are the Kardashians,400 shows about cops and the world saving adventure they have every week, reruns of lame ass "comedy" shows or some pukefest of pop, hip-hop or country noise where you always have the sneaking suspicion that all those people on the stage are not really human. They're manufactured somewhere in an underground factory in Detroit.

You read of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Who and other bands having shows in church basements in England. If that were to happen here, they would demand the church be destroyed (Well, the kind of church I had to go to anyway. Southern Baptist. Its a religion where you go to church and get yelled at for being a sinner. Wonderful stuff for little kids to hear). I got a job at Burger King and volunteered for Sundays to get away from that nonsense, but I digress.

Pentecostal churches in my area held their separate meetings after church service and practiced Luciferian concepts. Most unenjoyable right? I support you regarding the Southern Baptist encounter. I experienced the same thing in West Virginia for a short time in my youth. But just the correct amount of time to transform me into the most bitter and resentful teenager to walk the earth. Not quite as extreme or internal as River Phoenix after his departure from "The Children Of God"...but pretty close to arriving to the same triggers he most likely experienced. Regarding the run through of BBC documentaries and full concerts...I just wait until they are posted on Y.T. but you are a hundred percent right about the U.S. broadcasting and it's a letdown for sure.