Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kate Bush thread

The Kate Bush thread

I'm having more than a bit of a Kate Bush evening tonight..playing all of her albums. Pure bliss, of course. What are you're favourite albums? My no 1 must be the Hounds of Love album which is a masterpiece in my world..but what about the rest?

She's easily one of my favorites- definitely in my top ten musical artists. I love her most in her creative weirdness, the peak being "The Dreaming". It took multiple listens to "get" a lot of it, the same way that Gentle Giant's "The Power and the Glory" did. After that I'd say "Hounds of Love", particularly side 2, is up there. I also have a soft spot for her debut, particularly side 1.

I'm glad she's making music again, although I find her modern work rather tame overall. I hardly like disc 2 of Aerial at all, despite some going ga-ga over it.

To sum up, I LOVE her first 5 albums and find a lot to like on the following 2, and can appreciate some of her modern work (if only it had a bit more "edge" to it).

I also have the boxed set "This Woman's Work", which has the two discs of non-album pieces. The first of the two discs is exceptional.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    To sum up, I LOVE her first 5 albums and find a lot to like on the following 2, and can appreciate some of her modern work (if only it had a bit more "edge" to it).

I also have the boxed set "This Woman's Work", which has the two discs of non-album pieces. The first of the two discs is exceptional.
    I have this box too - wonderful! I'd go with The Dreaming but agree there is something to like in everything Kate's released. I still remember her striking performance on SNL in the mid-70s - she was gorgeous, captivating, unique.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 10-22-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Kate's a genius. I only have the middle trilogy, but I love them to pieces. "The Ninth Wave" is hugely influential on me as a producer; that alone is a feat of excellence.

I second that. A true genius and so truly progressive. Oh, I have had "The Ninth Wave' on repeat tonight. Just wondrous in every second of it. I also have that glorious box and I love it to bits. Also love her later material... Such a truly unique artist. Have the new live album on order and can't wait. Oh, and "The Dreaming"..and "The Sensual World".. Oh, I love them all!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think I saw her on SNL but didn't really know what the hell I was seeing. When The Dreaming was her latest I bought that and The Kick Inside because of the David Gilmour connection, and the song Suspended in Gaffa was what hooked me. But Hounds of Love came out soon, and that really got me to listen to everything.

I think 50 Words for Snow is a bit under appreciated - a lot of it is slow, and it could use a warmer sound somehow, but I like it.

I hear you! Absolutely love 50 Words for Snow..

Kick Inside is my favorite. Kite is a vocal tour-de-force and the whole album just shows something writing brilliantly if understated. Hounds of Love would be my #2. I love Hounds especially the Ninth Wave but for whatever reason, Kick Inside will always be my favorite. After those two, Aerial would probably be #3 because of the second disc.

Don’t ask me to choose. All of the albums up to and including Hounds of Love are brilliant, and I would not want to be without any of them. There is, sadly, a precipitous drop in quality with The Sensual World, but even that has its moments.

If pressed, I’d choose The Dreaming, just because it’s so crazy and intense. It’s like Kate’s own personal (make that very personal) Nunsexmonkrock. But I love all those early discs, even the much-maligned Lionheart.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Have you guys all seen the 70s TV Christmas special? It's a must see - for KB fans and fans of 70 prog TV ephemera. 90% KB goodness, 10% Star Wars Christmas Special!

The Dreaming & Never For Ever top my list with The Kick Inside & Lionheart closely following.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Lionheart and The Sensual World are neck and neck for me.
    ...I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not.
    AC

Banned
    Lionheart is one of my favourites re the 70s Art Rock.

The Hounds of Love, The Sensual World Aerial are my faves with the former of course being an absolute gem. Looking forward to the live album next month.

I'm sorry but this is all I hear when she sings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MSH2POIIY

Quote Originally Posted by PhilIsLife View Post
    I'm sorry but this is all I hear when she sings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9MSH2POIIY
    I didn't watch the YouTube video, but you don't have to apoligize.

Oh, and welcome to PE - I hope you enjoy it here!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't watch the YouTube video, but you don't have to apoligize.

Oh, and welcome to PE - I hope you enjoy it here!
    I feel I do, cause I think people will be pissed at me I'm guessing.

Thank you! :-)

No need to be sorry. So you're tone deaf. It Happens.
    ...I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not.
    AC

How DARE you say she sounds like a waling cat! Banshee is much more accurate.

I love her voice but I can see how some might be turned off. On "The Dreaming" she uses all sorts of vocal tones- from the childish background vocals of "Leave it Open" to the deep despair of "Houdini" to the... um... donkey of "Get Out of My House". I love the variety.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    No need to be sorry. So you're tone deaf. It Happens.

You sure your name isn't PhilIsStine? Go and sit with the naughty boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    You sure your name isn't PhilIsStine? Go and sit with the naughty boys!
    Oh hot damn, the naughty boys

Completely bonkers The Dreaming is my favorite one.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Don’t ask me to choose. All of the albums up to and including Hounds of Love are brilliant, and I would not want to be without any of them. There is, sadly, a precipitous drop in quality with The Sensual World, but even that has its moments.

If pressed, I’d choose The Dreaming, just because it’s so crazy and intense. It’s like Kate’s own personal (make that very personal) Nunsexmonkrock. But I love all those early discs, even the much-maligned Lionheart.
    I would say that the quality drop comes with Red Shoes. Hounds of Love is #1.