Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Kate Bush thread

I hold in high esteem "The Kick Inside", "Lionheart", "Never for Ever", "Hounds Of Love" and "The Sensual World". I like bits and pieces of "Aerial". Never really connected with "The Dreaming", maybe because I acquired it much later in my life. Funny story: As a student I was always imposing my music on my roommates with Kate Bush being at the accessible end of the spectrum for the music I was playing as loud as I could in my room. I had just bought "Lionheart" and the album was in constant rotation on my stereo system. One of the guys that was occasionally hanging around in the room I was sharing with two other guys was a really tormented soul. Could not figure him out, mainly because it was so damn hard to communicate with him. He must have been autistic or something like that. Anyway, one day, as I was returning back from a full day of classes, going up the stairs of the building where my dorm was, I hear this guys humming "Oh England, My Lionheart". It was the weird guy. Oh, the power of music, breaking barriers that other means of communication could not break.

I really like this song and the video is cool containing clips from one of my favorite films.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalmoxe View Post
    I hold in high esteem "The Kick Inside", "Lionheart", "Never for Ever", "Hounds Of Love" and "The Sensual World". I like bits and pieces of "Aerial". Never really connected with "The Dreaming", maybe because I acquired it much later in my life. Funny story: As a student I was always imposing my music on my roommates with Kate Bush being at the accessible end of the spectrum for the music I was playing as loud as I could in my room. I had just bought "Lionheart" and the album was in constant rotation on my stereo system. One of the guys that was occasionally hanging around in the room I was sharing with two other guys was a really tormented soul. Could not figure him out, mainly because it was so damn hard to communicate with him. He must have been autistic or something like that. Anyway, one day, as I was returning back from a full day of classes, going up the stairs of the building where my dorm was, I hear this guys humming "Oh England, My Lionheart". It was the weird guy. Oh, the power of music, breaking barriers that other means of communication could not break.
    If you like all those other albums, you ought to be able to get into The Dreaming! Try it some more is all I can say. My wife happens to love Hounds of Love from before she met me, and of all Kate's other albums, I think The Dreaming is the next one she ought to like best. She loves Waking the Witch, maybe that's why. But she tends to pick a favorite album with lots of artists and stick with that, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If you like all those other albums, you ought to be able to get into The Dreaming! Try it some more is all I can say...
    I would think the same, especially if you appreciate side 2 of "Hounds of Love" (aka "The Ninth Wave"). Honestly, a few of the tracks on "The Dreaming" took a few listens to get into, particularly "Pull Out the Pin" and the difficult vocals of "Houdini".
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Can't get enough of this amazing artist! As much as I think her first 6 or 7 albums are nothing short of fantastic, I must say that I've been concentrating alot on her latest albums lately. At first I found them really good, but perhaps not exceptional. Well, let's just say that they have grown on me in recent times, truly great stuff. Aboslutely love the 50 Words for Snow album.. So lyrical and emotional. Can't wait for the release of the new live album (her first since 1979, can you belive it?). It's such a blessing to have Kate back!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hour Candle View Post
    Can't get enough of this amazing artist! As much as I think her first 6 or 7 albums are nothing short of fantastic, I must say that I've been concentrating alot on her latest albums lately. At first I found them really good, but perhaps not exceptional. Well, let's just say that they have grown on me in recent times, truly great stuff. Aboslutely love the 50 Words for Snow album.. So lyrical and emotional. Can't wait for the release of the new live album (her first since 1979, can you belive it?). It's such a blessing to have Kate back!!
    The previews sound great, and apparently there are no overdubs.

Did anyone catch the BBC 6 show? They just played the entirety of The Ninth Wave from the new live album. It sounded great to my ears, faithfully replicated in some parts with other parts being completely new. Can't complain other than having the dj chime in after every song and the obvious fact that being at the show would be way better than just having a cd document. There were obviously a lot of visual things going on that are completely lost with it just being an album, but musically it was spot on.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

It is a shame for those of us who couldn't get tickets that there will never be a DVD, but I am really looking forward to the CD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was it said there would never be a DVD?

I believe there was a dvd rumored last year, but nothing official has been announced, this new album is the first and so far only document of her 2014 shows.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    I believe there was a dvd rumored last year, but nothing official has been announced, this new album is the first and so far only document of her 2014 shows.

That hardly amounts to "there'll never be a DVD." I assumed it was just taking forever, and also Kate is milking this for all it's worth (and as I've said, I have no problem with Kate...doing that).

That hardly amounts to "there'll never be a DVD." I assumed it was just taking forever, and also Kate is milking this for all it's worth (and as I've said, I have no problem with Kate...doing that).
    Yeah I wouldn't jump so far as to say there won't be a DVD, but knowing her perfectionism I'm sure if there will be it'll probably still be awhile before it's announced.

She apparently said during the new BBC interview that she won't be releasing video and she wants the new live album to stand on its own - but I haven't listened to the interview to confirm this.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    She apparently said during the new BBC interview that she won't be releasing video and she wants the new live album to stand on its own - but I haven't listened to the interview to confirm this.
    Well that would be different. And disappointing as Sunlight Caller said.

Kate Bush is as prog as Heart.

Kate did confirm in the new interview this morning that right now there are no plans for the DVD and said she thinks the live album captures the event better than the DVD would. Having been at one of the shows, I can see how it could be lost in translation from stage to film.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    I guess you've never heard The Ninth Wave or much of The Dreaming.

To look at it another way, some early Heart stuff is kind of proggy :-)

But yeah, The Dreaming, whether prog or not, was easily one of the most truly progressive popular music albums of the 80s. What a great freakin' album that is.

Sorry to have alarmed anybody, I was just going with the view she expressed on the BBC. Knowing how glacially slow she operates, it seemed like never to me.

I would love to see this documented in it's visual splendour, and am surprised that she feels a live disc is the best representation. Of course essentially it starts with the music, but she is such a visual artist too that the two halves can seem equally important. Plus fir the millions who couldn't get tickets, it would be giving us an opportunity to partially experience the magic.

I wouldn't rule it out completely though. It WAS filmed, and of course she could be changing her mind in the future. Who knows? One can only hope and dream. As much as I would love a DVD presentation, I'm so much looking forward to the CD..

On another note, I do find Kate much more progressive than Heart.

Sorry to have alarmed anybody, I was just going with the view she expressed on the BBC. Knowing how glacially slow she operates, it seemed like never to me.

I would love to see this documented in it's visual splendour, and am surprised that she feels a live disc is the best representation. Of course essentially it starts with the music, but she is such a visual artist too that the two halves can seem equally important. Plus fir the millions who couldn't get tickets, it would be giving us an opportunity to partially experience the magic.

Yeah, I remember when Heart was experimenting with the Fairlight. Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    But yeah, The Dreaming, whether prog or not, was easily one of the most truly progressive popular music albums of the 80s. What a great freakin' album that is.
    Absolutely! Quite a daring album. "Sat In Your Lap" is such a hard-hitting opener.
    Last edited by ProgArtist; 11-21-2016 at 06:40 PM.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post

Totally agree. An odd move for sure. Really I would say she is an artist whose work will probably always come off best in the studio environment, so the visual element of these shows (no, I didn't go either!) was probably the most interesting thing. Oh well.

Maybe she's a little bit proggier than Heart, but barerly. I would call her work sophisticated clever adult oriented pop, and the same definition apply to Peter Gabriel who didn't recorded a single prog song during his whole solo career. Both are interesting and (sometimes) enjoyable to listen but prog they're definitely not.
    But who does really care ? Is Joni Mitchell prog ?