Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock Pack feat. John Payne, Greg Rollie, Lou Gramm.........!

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Isn't that just another way of saying that Govan is a much better musician than Payne? In which case, yes, he is, to my ears.

Henry

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    There are not many who are better than or even equal to Guthrie. It took him an age to get to where he is though. I watched him in a weekly jazz fusion residency on and off for the best part of a decade I reckon. Great evenings but he never seemed in a rush to take that next step. Great to see The Aristocrats taking flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    There are not many who are better than or even equal to Guthrie. It took him an age to get to where he is though. I watched him in a weekly jazz fusion residency on and off for the best part of a decade I reckon.
    True... but it's not as if Payne is new on the scene. I understand why he rests on the Asia name, because it sells tickets, but other artists do make names for themselves. It would not be impossible for Payne to do so.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I met John Payne at the Rosfest show that GPS played at 8 or so years ago. He hung out in the bar with us after the show. He struck me as one of the nicest, most ego-less performers that I had met at all the prog fests that I was attending at the time. He came across as just a really nice, genuine guy.....with no apparent bitterness regarding Geoff Downes reuniting with the original Asia. He was just getting on with it, trying to make a living in the music industry.

Although Rock Pack may not everybody's cuppa', I think we should all realize that sometimes musicians need to grab what lifelines for decent income become available to them.

Just my $.02,
    Rob in NOLA

PS: coincidentally, the two live GPS Live In Japan CD sets are currently on sale over at LaserCD.

On the AFJP facebook page there are various people asking AFJP to play in various countries and some one from the band or management replies saying that they would love to play there but there are no plane. BUT whenever someone asks when there will be the Americana album (which has been recorded) will be released there is complete silence. As much as I like John Payne and the potential for the band I think they are doing themselves and the fan a great disservice by not getting an album out and doing some dates to promote it. Playing a few dates cabaret like dates in Vegas every year is not the way to be taken seriously as a musician, and I guess a lot of fans are losing interest in both John Payne and his band.

I think Payne had some momentum going after the GPS thing and then completely blew it by sitting on his ass for years now.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Very true a waste of a great talent.

Quote Originally Posted by gojikranz View Post

saying Geoff was responsible for roundabout and owner of a lonely heart is a bit of a stretch...
    No bigger than saying Bumblefoot was responsible for "Welcome to the Jungle"!