Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnes and Noble vinyl

[QUOTE=Trane;634491

Sooo, my guess is that the producer and retailers take a huge margin (at least much bigger than for CDs)[/QUOTE]

Not in our case or from any retailers that I know personally. The mark-up is the same, it's just that the prices are very high from the labels. I will say that I do believe there's a fair bit of price-gouging going on from the major record companies but not so much from the indie labels. When we can sell a Sub-Pop LP for about $25 Canadian and Warner's stuff sells for $40 Canadian, it's plain to see where the issue lies.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Milking pigeons?

The vinyl market is strong enough that even mainstream book retailers are jumping on the bandwagon. It takes more than just "hipsters" and "geezers" to make that economically feasible. I cannot explain the phenomenon, but it's clearly more than a fad.
    Took you about 3 years to admit that huh?
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    except that nowadays a vinyl costs over $20 (and often closer to 30) as opposed to some $12 apiece back in the early 90's... So one should count units sold instead of revenues grossed in..

Who is buying those Sabbath or Miles Davis rekids?? 40 YO MILFs with three kids?? teenagers?

Naaah, it's (old) geezers that got rid of their vinyls in the 90's and are rebuying them now after owning the first gen CD, the first wave remasters, the second generator with bonus and the mini-LP. Ooopsie, I forgot the 40th anniv SW remix and the 45 discs boxset
    Those same geezers who are buying the Coldplay or Green day albums they had in CD in vinyl. Dudes our age with way too much money to spend (dare I say waste?)

And the used CD is worth nothing but vinyls are pricy argument is stupid.... we'll talk about that in 15 years time when all of them geezers will pass away and their kids will try to resell thelm at the supposed present price... little chance of them being worth double the price of a used CD
    Very cynical viewpoint. As a retailer of over 35 years in business, I guarantee you that interest is HUGE from young people these days. Their only drawback right now is indeed the pricing.
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have three teens in my orbit, all of whom have taken the vinyl route. They like the retro aspects of the tech, but also those things that drew us in originally, the interaction with the record, watching it spin, understanding how the grooves lead to sound, reading the lyrics and holding the gatefold. It isn't about sound quality at all, and CDs to them are disposable and a cheap alternative. This is not only a hipster trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly this!
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Took you about 3 years to admit that huh?
    The fad has lasted about three years longer than I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have three teens in my orbit, all of whom have taken the vinyl route. They like the retro aspects of the tech, but also those things that drew us in originally, the interaction with the record, watching it spin, understanding how the grooves lead to sound, reading the lyrics and holding the gatefold. It isn't about sound quality at all, and CDs to them are disposable and a cheap alternative. This is not only a hipster trend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This goes back to what I've been saying in here for a few years: vinyl is sort of the ultimate in physical product. Although physical media sales are plummeting more every year in sum, vinyl is sticking out a bit right now - I believe - because of the unique aspects it presents for a consumer: if one is going down the route of continuing to buy physical media, vinyl gives the consumer more of what they buy physical media for, like bigger artwork and more user interaction. This isn't enough to keep it growing much more than it has already and, IMO, vinyl sales will probably pleateau soon and then begin a slow-but-steady decline. But I will not be shocked if, in the coming years, vinyl sales comprise as much as half of the annual physical media revenues.

I do think that the pricing of new vinyl is going to play a large part in its eventual undoing. The boomers and some X-ers might grudgingly have adapted to paying $30 for an album, but I have no idea how younger fans are ever going to build music collections at these prices, especially since they don't have to. It would be one thing if this was the only way to hear the music but Pandora/Spotify offer much cheaper alternatives.

They carry Fragile on vinyl at the Barnes & Noble in Columbus and I always feel compelled to place it up front next to all The Beatles and Radiohead records...

Man, they're expensive there!!! (But I did buy Green Day's Dookie there for $18.)
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I do think that the pricing of new vinyl is going to play a large part in its eventual undoing. The boomers and some X-ers might grudgingly have adapted to paying $30 for an album, but I have no idea how younger fans are ever going to build music collections at these prices, especially since they don't have to. It would be one thing if this was the only way to hear the music but Pandora/Spotify offer much cheaper alternatives.
    I agree, the pricing is prohibitive for any youngster who wants to build a collection. The teens I know will also listen to music on their phones via streaming when out and about, but do cherry pick the albums they will save up for, and some of the appeal here is for a scarce coloured vinyl or limited edition. I don't think at these prices they will be building collections akin to those that we made in the past, but I do think it will keep this niche market ticking along nicely as other physical media dwindle.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The fad has lasted about three years longer than I thought it would.
    Isn't a fad to me. Been listening to vinyl since I was a little kid in a rocking chair and my parents were into jazz. When cd's were the rage, I was finding fantastic bargains on vinyl. Had great fun going here and there seeking them out. Of course I had to purchase cd's because vinyl was shutting down, so I had to just to stay in the prog scene. Well, more and more prog is coming out on vinyl which makes me quite happy and I will continue to buy them. Oh, I do love the sound of a nice piece of vinyl.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    They carry Fragile on vinyl at the Barnes & Noble in Columbus and I always feel compelled to place it up front next to all The Beatles and Radiohead records...

Man, they're expensive there!!! (But I did buy Green Day's Dookie there for $18.)
    Even here, you can find a few for $18. Older selections like this means I can do a lot of replacing. Yes they are expensive so just order them in, wait three days and get them $10. cheaper. Seeing the classics for a cheaper price at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This goes back to what I've been saying in here for a few years: vinyl is sort of the ultimate in physical product. Although physical media sales are plummeting more every year in sum, vinyl is sticking out a bit right now - I believe - because of the unique aspects it presents for a consumer: if one is going down the route of continuing to buy physical media, vinyl gives the consumer more of what they buy physical media for, like bigger artwork and more user interaction. This isn't enough to keep it growing much more than it has already and, IMO, vinyl sales will probably pleateau soon and then begin a slow-but-steady decline. But I will not be shocked if, in the coming years, vinyl sales comprise as much as half of the annual physical media revenues.

I agree with all of this of course but the idea is to look. Whatever you pay for an album, you could probably find it cheaper elsewhere. Just a matter of waiting a few days. But yes, at current prices, it would be hard to build a good collection.

There's a record store that opened up in my neighbourhood that sells used vinyl and mostly prog. I've picked up quite a few LPs at inexpensive prices.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura