Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holy Schnikeys, We ARE out there

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow. And I'm not too much for hiphop/rap. But I'd personally rather listen to my neighbour's electric drill in the backside of my kitchen wall for three hours straight than having to sit through another 25-minute Neil Morse "epic" again myself, yet I still recognize both as being "music" - even sans quotation marks.
    Never shall the 'twain meet on this debate. Sorry, man, but you can say what you want and I'll just stay out of it. I won't change your mind and after thirty some years of hearing it, I ain't a gonna budge.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    At a party last night I met a guy who was into "classic" prog - he'd been to a recent Carl Palmer show, and had seen Yes in the 70s so he knew what I was on about when I said I was seeing ARW next week. Hadn't heard of Marillion though, so I had to sort of tread carefully. Didn't want to freak him out by mentioning the huge amount of "foreign" prog that's out there. His wife was into it too, and in fact had seen Sabbath a few times back in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I won't change your mind and after thirty some years of hearing it, I ain't a gonna budge.
    B-but, but... I so wanna have memind changed about this. Not about the electrical drill, though.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow. And I'm not too much for hiphop/rap. But I'd personally rather listen to my neighbour's electric drill in the backside of my kitchen wall for three hours straight than having to sit through another 25-minute Neil Morse "epic" again myself, yet I still recognize both as being "music" - even sans quotation marks.
    Couldn't agree more.

I'm a gonna head out of here in about two hours to see Last In Line. Well see what kind of folk I run into. Small place, looks bigger from the outside.

Being so serious about music can be a bit detrimental, I do believe, in a weird place like this where it's really all about the party and/or gambling. Although, the local rag did do a small interview with Opeth a couple of weeks ago so all is not lost here. Just most of it.

Just go to any prog concert where us old guys, the whiteheads, are fully in attendance and you can usually strike up a conversation about any oddball group, and get answers and recommendations back. Sometimes you can even find a band you never heard of, and then check them out.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not trying to take the thread into verboten territory, but can anyone explain the Furry thing? I know the what. I don't get the why. Anyone?
    first, you must acquire brain bleach...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Just go to any prog concert where us old guys, the whiteheads, are fully in attendance and you can usually strike up a conversation about any oddball group, and get answers and recommendations back. Sometimes you can even find a band you never heard of, and then check them out.
    Yeah, easier said than done. I stopped in at the bar before Iron Maiden and there were many groups of people all wearing IM shirts but they were all friends and talking about life. So I can't just intrude and try and talk music with them.

Blah blah blah, I know, I'm whining. It's just not so easy in a town where prog almost never happens so hence I can't go to very many prog shows and meet the kind of folk I'd like to.

But, I did meet a couple of crazy guys on my wavelength the other night at the Last in Line show. I also met a couple of extreme assholes. I don't normally come into contact with either extreme, just fools who think they know something yet they think the world is flat. I'm no expert on all this stuff but I know a thing or two, here and there, but the folks I run into are just dead on stupid. Cartman trying to justify Huckleberry Finn as Tom Sawyer in that Rush clip is what I mostly run into.

At least one of the guys I was talking to reminded me of something, that this was the band Jimmy Bain was in when he passed away. I totally forgot that, which clearly shows I'm no genius.

Anyway, Vivian killed it and really looked like he was having fun. Vinny played well and the rest were as good as can be expected. That solo in Don't Talk To Strangers, as I watched him rip it from about ten feet away, AND with no tall people obstructing my view, was totally awesome. Disappointed in the jam at the end of Egypt because, why? Maybe I'll have to look up a clip and see if I get it but it just seemed unnecessary.

ETA: I had to leave the front of the stage right before Egypt came on and judging from this clip, not too long ago, what they did wasn't all that crazy. I left because a call of nature and never was able to get back up front in the tiny club to see the rest of the show. It seemed like a shred fest was going on so either they have done more with it than in this clip or I just had it wrong.

Last edited by TheLoony; 11-02-2016 at 02:55 AM.