Thread: AAJ Review: Chris Potter, The Sirens

AAJ Review: Chris Potter, The Sirens

My review of Chris Potter's The Sirens, today at AllAboutJazz.

While he's built his own sizable discography as a leader on a number of labels, this debut as a leader for ECM - after recording as a sideman with luminaries including Dave Holland, Paul Motian and Steve Swallow - represents something of a change in his recent discography.

Potter fans needn't fear; the fiery, muscular player who has become one of the most influential saxophonists of his generation hasn't toned things down, though he has opened up significantly. But he has gone for an all-acoustic group, a change from his Underground group of the past few years, and works with not one but two pianists - David Virelles, the usual pianist in his recent touring quartet, and Craig Taborn, whose presence on the label has been growing since he first appeared on David Torn's Prezens (2007).

It's an album that, on one hand, won't surprise longtime fans....but on the other, absolutely will.

Review here.

Big fan of this guy, an improviser with seemingly-unlimited ideas. Looking forward to hearing this...I have all the Underground stuff and a few earlier releases, as well as a bunch of his workt--with Patitucci, Holland, Motian.....Saw him with the Underground a couple years back and had my head handed to me on a tray.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    .Saw him with the Underground a couple years back and had my head handed to me on a tray.
    Am tremendously envious

But looking forward to covering his Montreal show on Feb 21.
    Best!
    John

Wow!

I first got into Potter's playing 15 years or so ago when I saw him with Dave Holland's big band in Manchester. I subsequently picked up a couple of cds, including an outing of his Underground group, but for one reason or another, had drifted away from his work.

On the back of this review, John - for which, as ever, thanks - I've got hold of Sirens - listening now, & first impressions are *very* positive - Potter's playing is slightly less frenetic than I recall, & the sound of his sax is deep & resonant in this beautifully captured recording. Most of all, this strikes me as being richer compositionally than some of his previous work - most definitely not "just" a blowing session!

I'm really looking forward to spending more time with this one!

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Wow!

I first got into Potter's playing 15 years or so ago when I saw him with Dave Holland's big band in Manchester. I subsequently picked up a couple of cds, including an outing of his Underground group, but for one reason or another, had drifted away from his work.

On the back of this review, John - for which, as ever, thanks - I've got hold of Sirens - listening now, & first impressions are *very* positive - Potter's playing is slightly less frenetic than I recall, & the sound of his sax is deep & resonant in this beautifully captured recording. Most of all, this strikes me as being richer compositionally than some of his previous work - most definitely not "just" a blowing session!

I'm really looking forward to spending more time with this one!
    Glad you're liking it...me too!