Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Forget Yes - The R&R Hall of Fame Still Hates Prog"

Banned
    ^^

Wakeman slams Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for leaving prog music “ignored” – and says he might not turn up if Yes are inducted

Rick Wakeman has slammed the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame for leaving the progressive music genre “ignored” – and says he might not attend if Yes are inducted next year.

They’ve been nominated for the third time after first becoming eligible in 1994.

Wakeman tells WROR: “I pushed for Yes to go in the Hall of Fame when I wasn't in the band, because I felt the band deserved to go in years ago.

“There's some bands that have been inducted that I have no idea why they’re in there. There’s bands like Yes and a few others and you go, ‘Why aren't they in?’ It just doesn’t make an ounce of sense to me.”

He continues: “It seems that anything to do with prog rock was considered a dirty word by them.

“It’s the most inventive and the most influential music to musicians that there’s ever been in the history of rock’n’roll – and yet it’s ignored.

“I’m not sure whether I’d turn up. I’m so disgusted with the way that prog rock and Yes have been treated, I might be busy.

“I might be washing my hair that night.”

Wakeman is currently touring with Yes offshoot Anderson Rabin Wakeman, featuring singer Jon Anderson and guitarist Trevor Rabin.

Anderson said last month that a potential Rock Hall induction would be the perfect reunion opportunity, adding: “There won't be much room, but it will be fun.

“Three or four years ago I went to the Hall Of Fame. I met everybody and they were very sweet. They were very upset I wasn’t in – they pointed to a corner on the second floor and said, ‘That's reserved for Yes.’”

Public voting continues until December 5, with fans allowed to vote once a day until then.

Yes
    ELP
    King Crimson
    Jethro Tull
    The Moody Blues

You've got to be kidding me...
    The above group of artists should have been in from day one. They would form the core of my Hall Of Fame.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    ^^
    So mature
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Forget Yes? It would be easier and more productive to forget the RRHOF.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I mentioned Änglagård just for example, but as you insist, I'd like to say a few off-topic words more ... For a short-lived band, Änglagård is an extremely overrated band among prog-heads at the present day.
    I agree that Anglagard is overrated, but only in the sense that their albums are treated as among the greatest that the genre has ever produced. Personally, I don't think that they are original enough for this level of praise, but I do think that their albums are among the best of the retro stuff, and very good overall.

it's equally stupid fairy-tale like that proclaimed weird beliefs that ItCotCK is "the first prog album ever").
    It was the first Prog album, in the sense of Prog as a '70s genre with the usual commonly-accepted boundaries. It's not the first "progressive" album, of course, but that's usually not what people are talking about when they say it was the first Prog album. The genre had to start somewhere, and no album has as strong a claim on being the first as ITCOTCK.

On the other side, today you'll find too many reviews /comments that are full of blind hate towards the Fish-era Marillion, the band which were so advanced inside the frame of the sympho-rock genre...
    It's not advanced, it's boringly derivative. Script for a Jester's Tear, in particular, is - as one writer once put it - like a game of "spot the Genesis reference." I cannot take such music seriously - I hear it as a total joke, with the joke being on the band. Obviously not everyone will react to what that era of Marillion was doing with the same negativity as myself, but that doesn't change what the music is. There is lots of derivative music that I do like - some quite a bit - but in most cases the band in question is fully aware and accepting of the designation. Marillion just took themselves so seriously and were so earnest... Thanks for the YT videos. I don't actually own these albums, so being treated to such a hearty laugh on a rainy Thursday morning was a welcome diversion from work.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    [In the Court of the Crimson King] was the first Prog album, in the sense of Prog as a '70s genre with the usual commonly-accepted boundaries. It's not the first "progressive" album, of course, but that's usually not what people are talking about when they say it was the first Prog album. The genre had to start somewhere, and no album has as strong a claim on being the first as ITCOTCK.
    Bollocks. It was a very significant album, but something like Ars Longa Vita Brevis clearly qualifies as a prog album "with the usual commonly-accepted boundaries".

[Script for a Jester's Tear]'s not advanced, it's boringly derivative. Script for a Jester's Tear, in particular, is - as one writer once put it - like a game of "spot the Genesis reference." I cannot take such music seriously - I hear it as a total joke, with the joke being on the band.
    But Misplaced Childhood is brilliant.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Bollocks. It was a very significant album, but something like Ars Longa Vita Brevis clearly qualifies as a prog album "with the usual commonly-accepted boundaries".
    Oh, definitely not. Its a psychedelic album.

But Misplaced Childhood is brilliant.

Henry
    It's an awful album, albeit less awful than the previous two.

The Nice made at least three Prog albums that pre-date ITCOTKC within the truly accepted boundaries of the genre.
    Record Collector magazine also recently did an excellent feature of Prog albums that pre-dated ITCOTKC
    I think ITCOTKC just happened to be the most commercial meaning all those previous Prog albums have gotten overlooked over time. You may not have heard of them but it dosn't mean they don't exist!

Banned
    (...)

It was the first Prog album, in the sense of Prog as a '70s genre with the usual commonly-accepted boundaries. (...)

Thanks for the YT videos. I don't actually own these albums, so being treated to such a hearty laugh on a rainy Thursday morning was a welcome diversion from work.
    Damn.

I stand corrected...Apparently Svetty's YouTube videos are useful after all.

What happened to your teeth?

Banned
    (...) Script for a Jester's Tear, in particular, is - as one writer once put it - like a game of "spot the Genesis reference." (...)
    Nobody deny the influence. Though, Marillion' sound is different from Genesis, because Genesis were a keys-dominated band; Marillion were a guitar driven band as Mark Kelly didn't play many solos and, unlike Banks, he stayed in the background as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    First of all, he's not yelling it. He is actually singing it as a chant. Poor argument since there is actual singing on that track also.
    And somehow there aren't "actual singing" in countless hiphop tunes - along with the rapping?!

FWIW, I absolutely love "Sound Chaser", but no - the argument as such was not "poor". This is about the ears that listen and what reservoir of Reference and connotation lies between there. Yes weren't by any ruling - i.e. scholarly and academic - definition "more musical" that Dälek, whose work is just as much an extension on rock today as Yes' was back in 1974.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Nobody deny the influence. Though, Marillion' sound is different from Genesis, because Genesis were a keys-dominated band; Marillion were a guitar driven band as Mark Kelly didn't play many solos and, unlike Banks, he stayed in the background as well.
    The keys are quite "dominant" in Marillion, though there are more guitar solos. Most of Genesis early 70's compositions were built around 12 string guitars, so I think you are splitting hairs here. Not to mention, Hackett is quite present in all their big numbers.

My favorite Marillion story, is when I put on Selling England for one of my friends who was visiting (he didn't see what I put on), and as the acapella vocal that begins Dancing With The Moonlit Knight starts he says, "oh, this is Marillion!". Not derivative, indeed

Oh, I almost forgot, this thread is about the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. I couldn't really care less who they induct since I think their whole induction process is a joke and it's just the favorites of the committee that get in for the most part. However, I think the past page and a half or so of this thread really helps one understand why most people don't like Prog, or at least, Prog fans

Caring about who is in the R&R Hall of Fame is like caring about what McDonald's has on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by regenerativemusic View Post
    Caring about who is in the R&R Hall of Fame is like caring about what McDonald's has on the menu.
    Very significant if you care about public health...?

Henry

Very significant if you care about public health...?

Henry
    I mean, it shouldn't have any bearing on one's choice of music, like McDonald's shouldn't have any bearing on what one eats. One should eat healthy food, listen to music that suits one's personal tastes.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Put me in the "Marillion didn't find themselves until they found Hogarth" camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    (...)

My favorite Marillion story, is when I put on Selling England for one of my friends who was visiting (he didn't see what I put on), and as the acapella vocal that begins Dancing With The Moonlit Knight starts he says, "oh, this is Marillion!". Not derivative, indeed
    For people who don't know Symphonic rock, all symph bands sound the same.
    As I said earlier, nobody deny Genesis influence at Marillion's debut, but you'll hardly find there a ripp-off, like for example this:

That Lemon Pipers' video is from 1968, exactly at the time when The Who were on their first North American tour, and Pete Townshend - one of undoubtedly greatest songwriters in the rock music in general - saw it on tv and/or heard it on radio as the song was a hit in the U.S., and brutally took the riff.

Re Fish way of singing, there is an influence of Peter Gabriel without a question. However, he's certainly not a "Gabriel ripp-off"! In Fish singing, especially in their epic songs, one can hear that agressivity which Gabriel never had - so I often heard a slight influence of Peter Hammill too.
    Thus, as a singer and songwriter, Fish is an unique artist in Symphonic rock ("Neo-Prog"), and Fish-era Marillion was a revolutionary act inside the frame of the genre.

(...) Not to mention, Hackett is quite present in all their big numbers. (...)
    Even with Maestro Hackett, Genesis was a keys-dominated band, especially in comparision with Marillion.

Last edited by Svetonio; 10-28-2016 at 05:13 AM.

Even with Maestro Hackett, Genesis was a keys-dominated band, especially in comparision with Marillion.

Ah, great songwriting. So-so video... but, anyway, I love Hogarth-era Marillion just as much, but the band were making great music with Fish, and Fish's heartfelt lyrics stand out and are quite unlike anything in Genesis.

And I live near Belsize Park, so that always amuses me.

Henry

I seldom play Script now, almost never play Fugazi (and never really liked it). It's from Misplaced Childhood onwards that they get interesting for me, and I think the impact Ian Mosley had on the band cannot be underestimated- he made them sound much more muscular and professional, IMHO. I cannot help but invoke Phil Collins joining Genesis as a comparison, though few will thank me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I seldom play Script now, almost never play Fugazi (and never really liked it). It's from Misplaced Childhood onwards that they get interesting for me, and I think the impact Ian Mosley had on the band cannot be underestimated- he made them sound much more muscular and professional, IMHO. I cannot help but invoke Phil Collins joining Genesis as a comparison, though few will thank me for it.
    I'm right there with ya, JJ.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Ah, great songwriting. So-so video... but, anyway, I love Hogarth-era Marillion just as much, but the band were making great music with Fish, and Fish's heartfelt lyrics stand out and are quite unlike anything in Genesis.

And I live near Belsize Park, so that always amuses me.

Henry
    Ah, but did you ever make love on the floor in Belsize Park, a la Mr Dick?