Thread: New album by guitarist Steve Robinson - former guitarist with the band 'Igginbottom

New album by guitarist Steve Robinson - former guitarist with the band 'Igginbottom

Fans of Allan Holdsworth are sure to enjoy the new release by British guitarist Steve Robinson.

al10462.jpg

Art of Life Records is proud to present, "Recalled to Life - Chapter One", the debut release by guitarist and composer Steve Robinson. Steve was a member of the British group 'Igginbottom which recorded the album "Igginbottoms Wrench" in 1969 which also included guitarist Allan Holdsworth. "Recalled to Life - Chapter One" includes ten original compositions by Steve and features Pat Schroeder on drums, Dave Bryant on drums, Steve Zerlin on electric & acoustic bass, Marc Duby on electric bass, Andrew Ford on piano, Avzal Ismail on keyboards and Mike Rossi on tenor saxophone. Recorded at various locations in South Africa, India, United Kingdom and the U.S.A. All tracks mixed and mastered by Paul G. Kohler at Art of Life Studios in Charleston, South Carolina in 2016.

You can purchase CD’s, FLAC Digital Downloads or MP3 Digital Downloads via our web site at:

http://www.artofliferecords.com/reca...hapterone.html

Limited Edition of 300 CD copies.

CD orders will be shipped on or about November 3rd, 2016. All CD pre-orders will receive a complimentary FLAC Digital Download copy of the album which will be sent to you within 24 hours of placing your CD order.

Thanks for the news. Will check out later.
    One question though: the website mentions Steve is only playing electric guitars, while the album-cover shows an acoustic one. What's his main instrument?

Steve plays electric guitars on "Recalled to Life - Chapter One".

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks for the news. Will check out later.
    One question though: the website mentions Steve is only playing electric guitars, while the album-cover shows an acoustic one. What's his main instrument?
    Thank you for your question.

Steve plays only electric guitars on the album. Sorry for the confusion.

Art of Life Records

Thanks. Just listened to a couple of samples and I must say I really like this. It's not just that Steve was with Holdsworth in one band almost 50 years ago that people might love this, it's also the music on this disc: fresh, melodic jazz-rock, based on compositions. Ordered.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Thanks. Just listened to a couple of samples and I must say I really like this. It's not just that Steve was with Holdsworth in one band almost 50 years ago that people might love this, it's also the music on this disc: fresh, melodic jazz-rock, based on compositions. Ordered.
    Thanks for your comments and for supporting our artists.

We will be sure to pass your comments on to Steve.

Best wishes,

Art of Life Records

Just received Recalled To Life. What a wonderful, pleasant album! Great modern fusion, which also has a strong seventies-feeling.
    Recommended for those who love the melodic side of Holdsworth.

By the way: One of the tracks on this album is called Out From Under. Fans of Allan Holdsworth might recognize this as one of the tracks from his I.O.U-album, for which Steve indeed was credited. Robinson explains in the extensive liner notes that he "wrote the main theme and completed the score in 1980. Holdsworth was looking for material for I.O.U. and he liked the tune and asked if he could use it. He added a lot of material of his own and called it Out Of Under. Allan gave me permission to use the title to identify the song even though it isn't my title. Thank you AH!"

Here's a short sample of that track: http://www.artofliferecords.com/srofu.mp3

After a couple of listenings I could add that some of the melodies might also attract fans of Phil Miller while playing subtle solo's in his Hatfield & The North/National Health-days.

Art Of Life will release another album by Steve Robinson: https://www.artofliferecords.com/rec...haptertwo.html
    About the Music
    Art of Life Records is proud to present "Recalled to Life - Chapter Two", the follow-up release to Steve’s 2016 debut recording, “Recalled to Life - Chapter One” (Art of Life AL1046-2). Steve was a member of the British group 'Igginbottom which recorded the album "Igginbottoms Wrench" in 1969 which also included guitarist Allan Holdsworth. "Recalled to Life - Chapter Two" is a continuation of the music that appeared on “Recalled to Life - Chapter One” and includes fourteen original compositions by Steve. Three of the songs on “Recalled to Life - Chapter Two” originally appeared on “Recalled to Life - Chapter One” and are included here as alternate versions featuring different musicians. Also included on the album are three previously unreleased bonus tracks that feature Steve’s compositions written for strings and string quartet. The album features Pat Schroeder on drums, Dave Bryant on drums, Steve Zerlin on electric & acoustic bass, Denny Lalouette on electric bass and Avzal Ismail on keyboards. Recorded at various locations in South Africa, India, United Kingdom and the U.S.A. All tracks mixed and mastered by Paul G. Kohler at Art of Life Studios in Charleston, South Carolina in 2015, 2016 & 2021.
    Producers Notes
    In October 2020 Steve and I had made plans to resume working on his second album of material at the end of January 2021. Sadly, Steve passed away on December 30th, 2020 in South Africa. Fortunately, most of the tracks for all of the songs had already been recorded back in 2015 and 2016 by all of the musicians except for one bass track and one drum track for two songs. During that time I worked closely with Steve to create rough mixes of most of the songs on “Recalled to Life - Chapter Two”. I had also saved all of the email exchanges between Steve and myself, over 3,000 messages, and was able to go back through all of the emails and take notes so I knew exactly how Steve wanted each song to be mixed.

After Steve’s passing, a friend of Steve’s, David Novis, reached out to me via Facebook and asked me about music that Steve had started writing for an album of his original compositions for a string quartet. I confirmed with David that Steve and I had indeed planned on recording and releasing an album of his original songs written and performed by a string quartet at some point in the future after the release of both of his albums, "Recalled to Life - Chapter One" and "Recalled to Life - Chapter Two". Steve had already begun writing some of the music for the string quartet album back in 2016 and 2017 and had sent me several MIDI files of what he had written so far. After exchanging messages with David, along with his suggestion that I find a way to make the string quartet music available, I decided that it would be a nice touch to include a few of the MIDI tracks of Steve’s music composed for strings and string quartet even though the pieces remain unfinished. The “Untitled Strings Composition” dates back to 2006 and the “Recalled to Life” (string quartet) track features many of the melodies and themes from Steve’s two albums, “Recalled to Life - Chapter One” and “Recalled to Life - Chapter Two” written specifically for a string quartet. By including these bonus tracks on the album it gives us an idea of what might have been. R.I.P. my dear friend, you will be missed but not forgotten. ~ Paul G. Kohler, Art of Life Records

Got the second chapter of Steve Robinson's Recalled To Life and it's another beauty. For those who like the melodic side of Allan Holdsworth this new one of his former Igginbottom-mate is a must.
    There are three tracks on it from the first album in different versions and there are three string-versions as a bonus which were meant for a complete album.