Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot 2017

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ballot 2017

"In a change of tradition, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be honored. . . . . . .

As far as Yes, original singer Jon Anderson is on the ballot along with drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White, keyboardists Tony Kaye and Rick Wakeman, guitarists Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin and bassist Chris Squire"

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    "In a change of tradition, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be honored. . . . . . .

As far as Yes, original singer Jon Anderson is on the ballot along with drummers Bill Bruford and Alan White, keyboardists Tony Kaye and Rick Wakeman, guitarists Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin and bassist Chris Squire"
    Yes is a surprise nominee pick. Most prognosticators had them off the ballot this year.

The others, in case people are interested:

Bad Brains
    Chaka Khan
    Chic
    Depeche Mode
    Electric Light Orchestra
    J. Geils Band
    Jane’s Addiction
    Janet Jackson
    Joan Baez
    Joe Tex
    Journey
    Kraftwerk
    MC5
    Pearl Jam
    Steppenwolf
    The Cars
    The Zombies
    Tupac Shakur
    Yes

I would vote for Pearl Jam, Kraftwerk, Depeche Mode and Bad Brains.

If Journey ever gets into the R&RHOF, then it's time to burn it down.

Go Tupac
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

love seeing Bad Brains on this list

I think this is Yes' year

Pearl Jam are no-brainers. surprised that NIN and Smiths aren't there

Jane's addiction were great for 5 years or so. 2 LPs only really and their first tours were astonishing. but I still don't see it

ELO were a great singles band. never a great live act. LPs are patchy (I loved the hell out of the Radio City show last month tho!)

-----

it's a crime that Black Flag are never mentioned having literally paving the way for every indie and punk band, creating the touring/venue infrastructure, creating their own label, distribution system and supporting indie vinyl pressing plants. tapping into youth culture in a way that rock hadn't done on a micro level since rock started. community.

to me the Grateful Dead and Black Flag are the 2 most important American Rock acts for all of these self-sufficient and youth culture reasons

anyway

Ironically, the 8 nominees played on exactly one Yes album together, widely considered one of the band's worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Impman View Post
    Ironically, the 8 nominees played on exactly one Yes album together, widely considered one of the band's worst.
    You must be referring to Onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You must be referring to Onion.
    Yes sir

On the other hand, with three exceptions the list does encompass the complete personnel for every album between The Yes Album and Keys to Ascension. I have no problem with that.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    On the other hand, with three exceptions the list does encompass the complete personnel for every album between The Yes Album and Keys to Ascension. I have no problem with that.
    I think the the list is fair. Just funny that their one album together was such a flaming turd, relatively speaking

The Zombies should have been in a long time ago.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Except Patrick Moraz, who played on Relayer.

My vote looks like this:

Yes
    The Cars
    Bad Brains
    Kraftwerk
    Pearl Jam
    The Prog Corner

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Except Patrick Moraz, who played on Relayer.
    As I said:

Relayer, Yesshows, Drama.
    David

As a Brit I don't really understand the Hall of Fame, but of those bands listed I'd plump for Yes, Kraftwerk, ELO & Chic.

I've never heard of Bad Brains...

Relayer, Yesshows, Drama.
    Funny, I interpreted your three exceptions to be MORAZ, HORN, DOWNES.

Works both ways I reckon!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The Zombies should have been in a long time ago.
    Amen. The Zombies are a very underrated band. May be more familiar to proggers for keyboard wizard Rod Argent, but I really like Colin Bluntstones vocals too. I just picked up their recent double CD live at the Bloomsbury a Theater and there's a lot of good stuff on there including a string section on several songs.

Funny, I interpreted your three exceptions to be MORAZ, HORN, DOWNES.

Works both ways I reckon!
    Right you are.

Personally, I couldn't care less about the HoF as an entity. I only chime in because I think that if Yes were inducted, the list given seems a reasonable one that includes those responsible for (almost) all of the important output of the band, commercially and musically speaking. Not to diminish the contributions of Moraz, Downes, or Horn, as I love both Relayer and Drama, but past a point the floodgates are open and you end up with a cluster of 10+ people on stage for a band that was mostly a 5-piece unit.
    David

it's a crime that Black Flag are never mentioned having literally paving the way for every indie and punk band, creating the touring/venue infrastructure, creating their own label, distribution system and supporting indie vinyl pressing plants. tapping into youth culture in a way that rock hadn't done on a micro level since rock started. community.
    I've never understood this either and agree with you 100%. Even from people that know better and actually care about these sorts of things, I've NEVER heard them mentioned for induction. Most of the original SST roster and Black Flag members individually have had all sorts of issues with Greg Ginn over the years so I don't know if that's come into play with burned bridges, etc. (it shouldn't), but holy cow. If you are remotely interested in the underground scene of the past 40 years, Black Flag's importance cannot be overstated.

As for this year, maybe Yes will finally make it. I hope so though I imagine my reaction will be as when Rush was inducted: happy for them and us as fans, but it would have meant a lot more if it had happened before years of snubs and condescension as to why they're not really worthy.

Kudos to the nominating committee for at least remembering Bad Brains, The Zombies and Kraftwerk though I'd say there's zero chance of any of them getting in, which is a shame for all the usual reasons.

I think this is Yes' year
    I agree. I feel they will get the charity toss in this year.

As for this thread, I predict an easy 12 pager in 4 days.

If Yes we're to get in, would they perform at the ceremony? If so, would these eight guys actually be the band that performs? Would Bruford play drums again for one night? Would Howe and White insist on the members of the current lineup play as has happened with precious inductees? Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    If Yes we're to get in, would they perform at the ceremony? If so, would these eight guys actually be the band that performs? Would Bruford play drums again for one night? Would Howe and White insist on the members of the current lineup play as has happened with precious inductees? Should be interesting.
    If the Hall had to choose between ARW and Howe's band, they'd have to go with ARW. More inductable members.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Howe will perform with Bruford and a session bassist, they'll play Roundabout with Howe singing just his harmony parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If the Hall had to choose between ARW and Howe's band, they'd have to go with ARW. More inductable members.

the hall won't choose between YES or ARW, but suggests that a particular line-up performs. see: KISS/Chicago/Van Halen/Guns and Roses debacles

the hall won't choose between YES or ARW, but suggests that a particular line-up performs. see: KISS/Chicago/Van Halen/Guns and Roses debacles
    But if circumstances dictated that they must choose one, it would be ARW.