Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turntables you've had, loved, and wished you had

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Sweet. I tried to search the site for a thread on photos of listening rooms, similar to what Hoffman does but couldn't find it.
    If you want to see user system photo's you could check out Audiogon. They have a big section for that. Mine is there called "Apogees in the House"

https://systems.audiogon.com/
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

AR 15. Purchased it though one of those catalog "audio warehouses" that seemed to be everywhere in the mid-1970s. Used it for almost 20 years. Loved the look. Love the memories.
    Still have the speakers from that same purchase: KLH model 17. They work great!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I had a BIC Venturi 980 in the 70s. Hmmm...I wonder whatever happened to that thing?
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    If you want to see user system photo's you could check out Audiogon. They have a big section for that. Mine is there called "Apogees in the House"

That's one sweet rig! Crank it up today for me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    I had a BIC Venturi 980 in the 70s. Hmmm...I wonder whatever happened to that thing?
    The most common issue with these was the lubricant they used dried up over time with non-use and the platters froze up. There are videos on YouTube for fixing this issue and several others with the changer mechanism. They were very decent sounding turntables, but there were some design flaws that showed up as flaws over time.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

fuck, if I have the six numbers right, one day....

I'm getting these... if only for the look.

Demo Room On.jpg
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Feelin' horny Trane?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

that was a thorny comment of yours
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I kind of want to create a parallel thread like this for receivers. Mainly because I’m getting all misty-eyed and nostalgic for my old Pioneer solid-state receiver with the solid wood top and all the black switches on the front. Can’t remember what model it was, but it was one my uncle bought in Japan. It was kind of a pain in the ass (kept blowing fuses) but when it worked, nothing else could touch it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I have a JVC direct drive with quartz lock and an Ortofon cartridge. I bought it in 1981. Do they still make such things?
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Those did not include the "Venturi" name. BIC Venturi referred to their speaker line.

There were several issues with those. My first turntable was the 980. One issue was you could not adjust the tonearm height. My first cartridge was a Empire 2000Z, which was pretty pricey back then. The stylus holder on that cartridge dragged on the outer lip of LPs, so I had to cut off a small corner of the plastic. At one point, the set down mechanism started to set down at the 7" (45 rpm disc) location instead of the edge of the LP. I had to open it up and readjust the red plastic swivel piece that controlled this. That was not fun.
    After about 2-3 years, I decided I wanted a semi-auto Technics direct drive to make it easier to do custom tape recording.

You can find the 980s listed on eBay, but they often have the problem where the grease that was used on the spindle dried hard and locked up the motor. There are numerous fixes for these on YouTube. I was looking at them for my bedroom turntable about a year and a half ago.
    Instead, I opted for a Technics SL-QX200, which is an automatic direct drive with P-mount. Decent P-mount cartridges are available for less than 50.00, and they are plug and play. You don't have to make any tracking force adjustments or balance the arm.

Turntables with a big heavy platter always attracted me - they look good, and was expensive (and thus just had to sound good !?) .
    Micro Seiki made many different kinds

Remember a company that made a turntable with a 100 kilo platter, dont remember the make)

Here is some more http://www.soundfountain.com/beltdri...turntable.html

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Turntables with a big heavy platter always attracted me - they look good, and was expensive (and thus just had to sound good !?) .
    Micro Seiki made many different kinds

Remember a company that made a turntable with a 100 kilo platter, dont remember the make)

Here is some more http://www.soundfountain.com/beltdri...turntable.html
    You obviously hated wow and flutter. That is a MONSTER! I thought the Empire 598/698 tables had large heavy platters. These types of units are hard core. The issue I had with extra heavy platters was the startup time required. My Technics SL-1401 typically reached full startup speed in 1/4 to 1/2 rotation. This made putting together tight segues on a custom cassette much easier. It had very low wow and flutter (better than any belt drive I ever heard) and comparable rumble character to most others. It had a motor similar to the Technics 1200, but also was semi-auto. Considering that I often fell asleep listening to my music, I absolutely had to have auto-return. This was the best table I could find with that feature at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I kind of want to create a parallel thread like this for receivers. Mainly because I’m getting all misty-eyed and nostalgic for my old Pioneer solid-state receiver with the solid wood top and all the black switches on the front. Can’t remember what model it was, but it was one my uncle bought in Japan. It was kind of a pain in the ass (kept blowing fuses) but when it worked, nothing else could touch it.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...amps-separates

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    You obviously hated wow and flutter. That is a MONSTER! I thought the Empire 598/698 tables had large heavy platters. These types of units are hard core. The issue I had with extra heavy platters was the startup time required. My Technics SL-1401 typically reached full startup speed in 1/4 to 1/2 rotation. This made putting together tight segues on a custom cassette much easier. It had very low wow and flutter (better than any belt drive I ever heard) and comparable rumble character to most others. It had a motor similar to the Technics 1200, but also was semi-auto. Considering that I often fell asleep listening to my music, I absolutely had to have auto-return. This was the best table I could find with that feature at that time.
    I never had one of the heavyplatter types, but they look so cool. Some of the Micro Seikis had direct drive, which I am told is a bad idea because you can hear it when it gets worn.
    My first was a B&O/ortofone, then a Thorens, then a Pink Triangle and then/now a Void Valdi that I should fix or ditch. The belt is falling of, and its tricky to put on again, so I use it too little. Probably I would buy a Pro-ject. I have a Grado pickup, rather pristine.

Jefferson James
    I loved my Sansui back in the day but I couldn't keep her; we kept going round and round.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    My Technics linear tracking turntable before the rubber dry rotted on the feet and belt. Still have it. I replaced it with an Audio Technica but have since also acquired a Fisher linear tracking turntable...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Panasonic SL-N15 (linear) first the belt, then the tonearm servo belt died.
    It was OK, I used to call it my "Kenner-Close-and-Play".

Cool technics! I wish I could have such too! I'm a big fan ov vinyls and have a huge collection of them and I want to buy some new player for them.
    Visit my homepage

First real turntable was the Belt driven Pioneer Pl-12D a real classic.

I can't recall what I had between, but have had a Technics SL-QD33 (Quartz drive) still works fine...

I always liked Grado cartridges..