Thread: The Dear Hunter - Migrant (2013)

The Dear Hunter - Migrant (2013)

http://thedearhunter.com

Migrant to be released on April 2nd, 2013

There's a soundcloud link to stream Whisper (as well as it coming as a download with a preorder)

1. Bring You Down
    2. Whisper
    3. Shame
    4. An Escape
    5. Shouting at the Rain
    6. The Kiss of Life
    7. Girl
    8. Cycles
    9. Sweet Naiveté
    10. Let Go
    11. This Vicious Place
    12. Don't Look Back

Whisper sounds so MAJESTIC and BIG.

While Migrant takes a departure from the band's previous use of an overarching concept, it remains true to their signature grandiose sound, fueled by Crescenzo's soulful vocals.

"When I started writing this record, I made sure to limit myself to an instrument and my voice. I didn't want to jump into the current of production I always had before - predetermining the final path of each song from its inception. Instead, I let the music take as natural a course as it could," Crescenzo explains of the process. "What felt at first to be the seeds of the starkest songs, grew into some of the most lush and beautiful arrangements I had written to date. Keeping the heart of the music so transparent was liberating, and the result is, at the very least, the most creatively rewarding record yet." For the first time ever, Crescenzo wrote from a first-person perspective, creating twelve of his most emotionally raw, personal and dynamic tracks to date. Musically, songs range from powerful melodic anthems, to a jazzy ballad fueled by keys and arpeggio-laden guitar lines, to a moving duet that highlights the song's captivating vocals, all delicately framed by lush string orchestrations.

The Color Spectrum Live DVD is being released on March 12th.

An Evening With The Dear Hunter
    With Special Guests: Naive Thieves
    On Sale Saturday Jan 26th

Mar 12 Scottsdale, AZ Martini Ranch
    Mar 14 Dallas, TX Club Dada
    Mar 18 Houston, TX Fitzgerald's
    Mar 19 New Orleans, LA The Parish at House of Blues
    Mar 21 Orlando, FL The Social
    Mar 23 Atlanta, GA The Loft
    Mar 24 Carrboro, NC Cat's Cradle
    Mar 26 Towson, MD The Recher Theatre
    Mar 27 Philadelphia, PA Union Transfer
    Mar 28 New York, NY Gramercy Theatre
    Mar 29 Cambridge, MA The Sinclair
    Mar 30 Cambridge, MA The Sinclair
    Apr 01 Montreal, QC La Sala Rossa
    Apr 02 Toronto, ON The Mod Club Theatre
    Apr 03 Pittsburgh, PA Mr Small's Theatre
    Apr 05 Columbus, OH Skully's Bar & Grille
    Apr 06 Canton, OH The Auricle
    Apr 07 Covington, KY Madison Theatre
    Apr 09 Nashville, TN Exit/In
    Apr 10 St. Louis, MO The Firebird
    Apr 12 Chicago, IL The Bottom Lounge
    Apr 13 Ames, IA The Maintenance Shop
    Apr 14 Minneapolis, MN 7th Street Entry
    Apr 16 Denver, CO Marquis Theatre
    Apr 17 Laramie, WY University Of Wyoming
    Apr 19 Seattle, WA El Corazon
    Apr 20 vancouver, BC The Biltmore Cabaret
    Apr 26 San Francisco, CA Slim's
    Apr 27 Pomona, CA The Glass House

Cool, Kyle. Thanks for posting.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The Migrations Annex (samples of songs that won't be on Migrant)

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Migrant and TCS DVD are both on pre-order in this household. Been looking forward to them for many moons now I love the variety that I'm hearing in the samples.

Will have to check out The Migrations Annex as well.

Edit - I see that the Annex CD is only available as part of the $85 pre-order. Think I'll be skipping that one.

I really bit into this band last year. Got their entire back catalogue. Looking forward to the new one...

This thread reminded me to put this on my Amazon wish list.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Me as well . . . an important artist bridging prog with new music and technology.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

new single "An Escape"

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I really bit into this band last year. Got their entire back catalogue. Looking forward to the new one...
    Where would you guys suggest to start with them?

from my biased/fanboy perspective, I would check out Act II 1st. But it seems more people lean towards The Color Spectrum of late as a 1st exposure.

I guess the Acts, include more songs that dive more into the prog aesthetic of multi-part songs/songs that are more like suites, etc and for that reason among some others, I think of the Acts more than TCS for the prog fan. And Act II is often considered the best, although it's their longest (like 65 or 70 minutes I recall). Whereas Act I is like 35 minutes long, so as a 1st exposure, that has merit as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    from my biased/fanboy perspective, I would check out Act II 1st. But it seems more people lean towards The Color Spectrum of late as a 1st exposure.

I guess the Acts, include more songs that dive more into the prog aesthetic of multi-part songs/songs that are more like suites, etc and for that reason among some others, I think of the Acts more than TCS for the prog fan. And Act II is often considered the best, although it's their longest (like 65 or 70 minutes I recall). Whereas Act I is like 35 minutes long, so as a 1st exposure, that has merit as well.
    I was sure you were wrong about that 35 minutes, but Wikipedia backs you up. I never noticed the large time discrepancy between the first two acts.

In my opinion, start with Acts I-III. You can't read just one book in a trilogy. Color Spectrum is definitely second for the prog fan. But still so very high in my heart.

Banned
    I just saw on my digital cable guide that these guys will be on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tonight. Who do these guys sound like?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I just saw on my digital cable guide that these guys will be on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon tonight. Who do these guys sound like?
    not them, the other similarly named, but vastly inferior Deerhunter is on Fallon tonight.

Banned
    not them, the other similarly named, but vastly inferior Deerhunter is on Fallon tonight.
    Damn!! Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping that it was the subject of this thread, since Mr. Fallon did have another recently discussed PE artist.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Damn!! Thanks for the heads up. I was hoping that it was the subject of this thread, since Mr. Fallon did have another recently discussed PE artist.
    yeah, that would have been sweet. Ironic how Deerhunter shows up the day Migrant by The Dear Hunter is released. Also the fact, there's even a Facebook group/campaign to get The Dear Hunter on Fallon.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TDHforLateNight

They were awful. They had less talent than Duke Fame. The singer was like Joey Ramone on acid and it looked like he had cut off one of his fingers on his left hand. As the song was ending he left the stage and the cameraman just stayed in front of him as walked to an elevator-They were just another undertalented punk rock band and the crowd thought they were awesome. His audience is what you would call, Low information listeners.

n.p.Sirius/Daily Nightly-The Monkees

Picked this up at Newbury's yesterday. Wonderful melodies with orchestral backing. Crescenzo's voice is in great form. To me after the first listen, still not in the league with the Acts, but I like it's more interesting than The Color Spectrum, with more varied instrumentation. Looking forward to getting to know it better.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Banned
    My Squeezebox is playing The Pimp And The Priest. Song is awesome!!

I've just gotten "Migrant" and am totally absorbed in it! Fantastic album. I wouldn't really consider this prog, though...a few songs have some slight proggy moments, but this is really excellent music in any shape or form. Thanks to Mike Portnoy for championing them so that I found out about them. Sure would love to go on the Cruise to see them, along with all the others. The lead singer doesn't seem so dissimilar from Flying Color's lead singer, either. Will check out the back catalog next! Anything nearly as good as "Migrant"?

Peace,
    Scott

In my opinion, Migrant is by far the weakest. Get EVERYTHING else. Start with the Suites 1-3 and then get the complete Color Spectrum EPs. (Don't get just the shorter greatest hits version.)