Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keegan ankles Spocks Beard!

Keegan ankles Spocks Beard!

Bummer. Jimmy will be missed.

Jimmy Keegan
    20 mins ·

Hey Kids! So ... In 2003 I was asked to join Spock's Beard. I had been toying with the idea of putting my own band together but this seemed a safer route as well as an honorable one. Nick had become the singer and they needed a drummer who could sing (especially the high bits) as well as play the often complex parts that Nick had crafted so well. The fit seemed perfect. Almost too perfect! I became the touring drummer while Nick played alongside and in the studio. Some time later, Nick would get a call to join Cirque du Soleil and he decided to take the offer, as I would've as well. I became the full time drummer and tracked two fantastic records as well as some great tours and shows. The idea of my own band was still nagging. I started to humor it and raised some money in a campaign but the schedule has proven extremely difficult and I have been way too slow to produce this first album. I should've been doing this long ago. For this reason, I have stepped down as the drummer for Spock's Beard and will be putting all my efforts into my own project. Oh sure, I will continue doing sessions, gigs and short tours but my daily focus will now be ... well, myself. For those who contributed, I can't thank you enough for your patience. For SB fans, you will be in good hands. Look to the guys for announcements of what is to come.

Definitely not an easy decision but a necessary one. Thanks for your support and thanks to Spock's Beard for allowing me to be a part of such a fantastic band for so long.

Stay tuned!

I've never heard the term 'ankles' when referring to someone leaving a band. Interesting.

I hope Jimmy has much success with his own endeavors.

"Ankles" is a term the Hollywood bible Variety made famous.

ankle — A classic (and enduring) Variety term meaning to quit or be dismissed from a job, without necessarily specifying which; instead, it suggests walking; “Alan Smithee has ankled his post as production prexy at U.”

http://variety.com/static-pages/slanguage-dictionary/

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I've never heard the term 'ankles' when referring to someone leaving a band.
    Same here. Not sure how "famous" it is as a term like that outside of Variety Magazine.

Here is a pretty thorough background on the use of "ankles" in this manner: http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/004210.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Keegan
    I have stepped down as the drummer for Spock's Beard and will be putting all my efforts into my own project. Oh sure, I will continue doing sessions, gigs and short tours but my daily focus will now be ... well, myself.
    He's going to continue to do sessions, gigs and short tours, but not with SB. Doesn't seem like he's putting all his efforts into his own project if he has time for all that. Does SB take up so much of his time?
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

My thought is that band obligations can take a lot of mental & emotion energy. More so than sitting in for a few gigs or sessions - those might even be a bit refreshing, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    He's going to continue to do sessions, gigs and short tours, but not with SB. Doesn't seem like he's putting all his efforts into his own project if he has time for all that. Does SB take up so much of his time?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Never heard the term "ankles" either.........anyway, I am bummed about this. Keegan was great live and it was always one of the highlights of the shows when he would come out front to sing lead on occasion. I am sure they will find a suitable replacement, but still kind of bummed about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    With Spock's Beard, there are 5 individuals that have to coordinate their schedules to allow for recording/touring/etc. If he is not in the band, that frees up time for Jimmy to do virtually anything else at his discretion.

As a Spock's Beard fan, this is sad news, as he's done a fantastic job with the band. He's an excellent singer and drummer, and seems like a really cool guy, as well.

As a Jimmy Keegan fan, I'm excited to see what he comes up with and wish him well.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

This is actually kind of depressing. I mean, the core of Morse/Meros/Okumoto is still intact and they'll continue to do a good job, but it always seems like they make a new, better band only to get "ankled."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Is that like "cankles"? In any case, I am sorry to see Jimmy go, but I wish him the best of luck. Now the Bearded Ones have a job opening. Any drummers out there interested?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Will NDV rejoin the band ?

He will be missed. "Bennett Built A Time Machine" was the best song SB has done since Neal left.

Damn.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    That thought crossed my mind as well, although I think he still has a full time thing going on.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    He will be missed. "Bennett Built A Time Machine" was the best song SB has done since Neal left.

Damn.
    That is a great song for sure.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That thought crossed my mind as well, although I think he still has a full time thing going on.
    And he works with BBT.

This!

Banned
    This sucks for SB though, great drummer and vocalist.

Damn.
    my favorite track from the last disk as well - but worth keeping in mind that while he does a great job with it, he didn't write it. my bet is that it still would have been the best track had ted leonard done the vocals. maybe we'll find out...

either way...hoping his new venture is good.

Damn.
    Definitely near the top! And I'm hoping for a sequel, even if Jimmy isn't around to sing it.

Damn.
    I really liked that one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That is a great song for sure.
    Best song on the album, and the only one I go back to.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

It would have been better had he stayed with SB while launching his solo career, because it would have continued an important prog tradition.

Consider: Jimmy is short, bald, plays drums in a popular prog band, sings high harmony, and is starting a solo career. Where have we heard of someone fitting that description doing something like that before? The problem, of course, will be that if his his solo work turns out to be much more successful than SB, we'll all accuse him of "ruining SB", and no one will ever hear the end of it.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 10-14-2016 at 02:15 AM.

^I don't know if I would say Phil Collins is short though.

Anyway, this is too bad. I hope the band finds an adequate replacement.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 10-14-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    I would say it's possible but I believe he's still very much involved in and busy with BBT.