Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keegan ankles Spocks Beard!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    Is that like "cankles"? ?
    No cankers is more like camples. Is this the guy that looked like animal from the muppets on the drum kit? He was fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I would say it's possible but I believe he's still very much involved in and busy with BBT.
    I think it's safe to say that BBT takes a rather small part of his time but I understand he has a full time job at Sweetwater studios.
    And even if he rejoined, how would he fit in with Ted still in the band?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    SB will be on CTTE 2017 in Feb, so they need to have someone for those shows. Of course, NDV will be on board too...

I think it's safe to say that BBT takes a rather small part of his time but I understand he has a full time job at Sweetwater studios.
    And even if he rejoined, how would he fit in with Ted still in the band?
    This. I don't think NDV returning is an option at this point (sadly for me as I'm a huge fan of his drumming, singing and the albums with him on lead vocals - though of course I wouldn't want Ted booted out).

SB will be on CTTE 2017 in Feb, so they need to have someone for those shows. Of course, NDV will be on board too...
    Even if he can't come back full-time it would be interesting to have him as a one-off - him and Ted trading vocals would be pretty cool.

And let me try to balance this thread a bit and say I don't really care for "Bennett" - though of course not because of Jimmy's vocals (although I have to say I was more impressed with his singing live when doing "Carie" or "Distance to the Sun").

Hope they can find someone who's up to scratch vocally as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Will NDV rejoin the band ?
    I'm wondering the same thing. Also if NM is coming back as well. Maybe a new album project?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    It would have been better had he stayed with SB while launching his solo career, because it would have continued an important prog tradition.

Consider: Jimmy is short, bald, plays drums in a popular prog band, sings high harmony, and is starting a solo career. Where have we heard of someone fitting that description doing something like that before? The problem, of course, will be that if his his solo work turns out to be much more successful than SB, we'll all accuse him of "ruining SB", and no one will ever hear the end of it.
    Maybe he should join the Musical Box then, and then break with them to start his own career, a PC tribute solo act[emoji6]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. Also if NM is coming back as well. Maybe a new album project?
    Album title: Rejuvenation ?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Maybe he should join the Musical Box then, and then break with them to start his own career, a PC tribute solo act[emoji6]

Would love to see continued involvement from Neal and NDV. Really hoping to see the gang back together on the Cruise. I missed the Snow reunion. Would be great if they performed that on the boat.

Beyond that, though, would be great to hear a new album with active involvement from them. A full album of Ted, Neal and NDV trading vocals would be cool.

If everyone is done dreaming about Nick/Neal returning, welcome to reality:

http://spocksbeard.com

October 14, 2016

Since the announcement of Jimmy Keegan's departure from Spock's Beard we have been flooded with with requests - demands in some cases! - to audition to play drums with SB. We have been fortunate to have had two of the best drummers in the world playing with us, so our standards are pretty high, but if you think you have what it takes to fill some pretty big shoes, here's the process we've set up to audition:

Send links to YouTube videos of yourself playing and singing something that represents your ability to drummer@spocksbeard.com. Please do not send files, just links. The videos can be public or private, professional or just iPhone videos. If you'd like to send a video of an SB tune, here are some recommended cuts to try -

Afterthoughts
    Submerged (singing the high harmony if you can)
    Walking on the Wind

Here's an idea of what we're looking for, ideally someone who -

Is a world class drummer
    Can groove over shifting time signatures
    Has a lead singer quality high tenor voice
    Able to sing and play complex stuff at the same time
    Preferably in the Los Angeles or Sacramento area or at least close to a major airport (some flexibility on this for the right fit)
    Has a flexible schedule that will allow for recording/touring
    Is a cool person, not too big an ego, flexible, able to keep a cool head in stressful situations and close quarters
    Has a cool hairdo (just kidding)
    If you think this might be you, send us your links to drummer@spocksbeard.com and we'll check them out. Please understand we may not be able to personally respond to every submission. We hope to hear from you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Has a cool hairdo (just kidding)

Damn, that was my only qualification! I thought I could fudge the rest of it...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm surprised that with all their connections these guys haven't found a replacement.

"Has a cool hairdo (just kidding)"

Whew, for a second there I thought this undoubtedly-necessary fallback position might be closed to The Donald!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I'm surprised that with all their connections these guys haven't found a replacement.
    Yeah, you'd think they'd just choose one of The Flower Kings' discarded drummers.

I guess having to be in or near LA makes this a little harder.

Would this be like Jon Davison resigning from Yes?

Jefferson James
    I'm thinking of an LA area drummer who meets most if not all of the requirements, and who played in one of Ryo's solo bands covering some SB songs. I sent him the link, hope he tries out.

I have none of those abilities, talent or capabilities that SB is looking for. Not even the cool person or hairdo requirements.

Banned
    Chris Mack from Iluvatar could do that job. He also played with Happy the Man at Progday.

Yeah I would have thought they'd at least have a couple of people in mind they could try out. Will feel a bit odd if they'll really bring in someone new through open auditions like that. Of course the main thing is to find the right guy so whatever works...

Banned
    Chris Mack studied drumming at the Berklee college of music also. Bachelor's Degree in percussion performance.

Banned
    Chris also lived in the LA area until moving back to this area, not sure when.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Yeah I would have thought they'd at least have a couple of people in mind they could try out.
    Perhaps they didn't feel the need to mention that they might have a friend or two in mind. Never hurts to have more than you need in case one falls through.

Speculation on my part, of course.

I chatted a bit with Jimmy at the Prog Nation cruise in '14. Seemed like a cool guy, and obviously super-talented. I wish the best to him and the SB lads.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Yeah I would have thought they'd at least have a couple of people in mind they could try out. Will feel a bit odd if they'll really bring in someone new through open auditions like that. Of course the main thing is to find the right guy so whatever works...
    It's possible that their own friends might all be full-time professionals, too busy doing something that pays a lot better. Or with the constant possibility of doing such a thing. SB's music isn't something you can learn in one last-minute rehearsal or fake your way through, so they need a real band member, someone who'll commit for a recording project or a tour - even if Fiona Apple calls and offers them four times as much to do her album or tour.