Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rush - Who Will Carry On if They're Done?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I dont know, but I'm going to be watching this post to see what comes up... Very interested in having a good concert to go to every so often...

Any reason why they are done? - I mean any recent information on them (I mean in the last couple weeks perhaps?) I hope we will be hearing from Geddy or Alex that they're starting to write... Not that they would share that, but I sure want to hear anything thats out there. Rumors work too.
    How about Neil's book? You can read it from the man himself.

Quote Originally Posted by KGHofSF View Post
    Word Indeed

and I say that as more of an observer than a true fan. Would that more of the Big Six had been as uncompromising, focused, and willing to work together as the Mr Lee, Mr Lifeson, & Mr Peart.

regards
    KGH

PS Canada doesn't knighthoods right? What's the highest national honor??
    I'm sure someone already answered this, but if they haven't they scored The Order Of Canada about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The Order Of Canada. Which they've already received!

Well I feel stupid.....

who needs to carry on?
    so Rush retires. that's that.

I guess I'll have to give in and read Neils Books, though I prefer his lyrics to his commentaries. When he speaks he seems to have a certain pretense that what he says has Gravitas, which sometimes is troublesome for me personally. He sometimes crams a whole segment of American society (the south) into kind of a small can, which I hope, is just my perception. For someone who tells you he is shy, he sometimes has a lot to say. I'll give it a shot. Whats his "best" book?

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    who needs to carry on?
    so Rush retires. that's that.
    I can agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    I can agree with this.
    Rush should obviously retire if they want to but the Lee/Lifeson team should not if they don't. Just get a great drummer and call it Lifeson/Lee

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Rush should obviously retire if they want to but the Lee/Lifeson team should not if they don't. Just get a great drummer and call it Lifeson/Lee
    Precisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Danny Carey

I guess I'll have to give in and read Neils Books, though I prefer his lyrics to his commentaries. When he speaks he seems to have a certain pretense that what he says has Gravitas, which sometimes is troublesome for me personally. He sometimes crams a whole segment of American society (the south) into kind of a small can, which I hope, is just my perception. For someone who tells you he is shy, he sometimes has a lot to say. I'll give it a shot. Whats his "best" book?
    I haven't read all of them, but I liked Roadshow a lot. Haven't gotten around to reading Ghost Rider. Traveling Music is okay, and it did open my eyes/ears to music I hadn't given much thought to before, but I sometimes found the tone of it in places a bit condescending. Nevertheless, I'll be getting the new one in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gearHed289 View Post
    Danny Carey
    Gavin Harrison would be my choice.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    It occurs to me that if Rush indeed hangs it up, there's no one out there with that combination of hard rock muscle and prog smarts. Yeah, there's plenty of prog metal acts but they tend to be DT clones with those out-dated staccato double kick-drums and lightning guitar runs going nowhere. Is Rush's particular niche going to die with them? I really don't see anyone picking up the ball.
    In general, I think their "particular niche" has pretty much expired when I survey the current popular music landscape.

Seems to me, the reality is there will NEVER be another band with that special combination of hard rock muscle and prog smarts, and with that added ability to write something "popular" like Tom Sawyer or Subdivisions.

I used to think if anybody could pick up the Rush mantle it would be Porcupine Tree and their hard rock/prog smart/melody whiz kid Steven Wilson, but that dream seems to have died a premature retirement. Maestro Wilson is still eminently capable of some kind of AOR breakthrough at some point, but I think the odds have diminished somewhat without the PT recipe.

I noticed Radiohead mentioned upthread, and while they have the popularity and some real prog cred, I've never detected even a little bit of "hard rock muscle" in their output, so I think that avenue is a dead end.

And sure, there are lots of great latter day Prog rock bands that do offer the muscle and the prog smarts, but Rush has left gigantic T-Rex footprints that just leave the relative mouseprints left by bands like Saga, Presto Ballet, Ayreon, Riverside etc. etc... obscured in the dust.

Which leaves TOOL. Help me Obi Wan Maynard. You are our only hope.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Gavin Harrison would be my choice.
    That'll work!

I guess I'll have to give in and read Neils Books......Whats his "best" book?
    I think I enjoyed The Masked Rider the most. Pretty interesting stuff in that one. Ghost Rider is fascinating, but harrowing at the same time. I have three more of his books, but they didn't grab me the same way as those two did.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I like them all but if you aren't into his social commentary I'd avoid most of them. Maybe Masked Rider, Ghost Rider or Roadshow?, but those are more about travel. Traveling Music is a fun read too if you like music.