Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 'Godzilla' movie opens tonight in the U.S. (Oct 11 - 18)

New 'Godzilla' movie opens tonight in the U.S. (Oct 11 - 18)

New G movie, "Shin Godzilla," opens tonight in the U.S. and has a limited run through the 18th at select theaters across the country. Anyone going? (Me and my boy have tix for tonight, work can't get over soon enough!)
    shin.jpg

I have to see where it's playing near me, but yeah, I'm there!

Going tonight! Looking forward to it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Damn, I can't find a torrent of it!!

Too bad it's not pay-per-view

I personally really enjoyed it. If you're a big fan of the Toho films I would rank it as a 'must see' but even casual fans of Godzilla films will find a lot to like here. If Godzilla films are not your cuppa, you're probably not planning on seeing this anyway...and that would be the right call. Two non-spoiler items...

1. The version currently showing is not dubbed--subtitles are used instead. When you select a seat in the theater, be sure that you can see both the top AND the bottom of the screen simultaneously as text is often shown on both parts of the screen at the same time. This will be helpful, trust me.

2. As with any Godzilla film, there are significant parts of the film which just feature a lot of talking and not a lot of action. To me (and perhaps my one gripe about the film) these parts go on a little too long here and there but not to the point where they seriously detract from the film itself. I'm actually considering seeing it again in the next week before it's theater run ends, just to give you an indication of how little of an issue this is for me in the context of the entire film.

Bottom line...it's a good time. If you have the means, I would recommend going to see it.

Is it as good as the 1954 film?

If you mean the Japanese version of the original, no. If you mean the Raymond Burr/Americanized version, no, but it's closer, at least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Damn, I can't find a torrent of it!!
    THIEF!!!

I love the old Japanese monster movies! I have seen the newer Americanized ones and pshttttt, forget 'em. I'll have to check this new one out if I can find it anywhere. (No car means no late night theater pubs across town.)
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I saw Shin on Tuesday here in VA

It was IMHO one of the better Toho films; slightly more serious (still some very silly bits, and when the proto-Godzilla first appeared my immediate thought was, "Mr. Snuffalupagus?!?") and while it was a tad "talky" at times I appreciated the analogy to other modern Japanese disasters (Fukushima mostly). Godzilla was also stripped back considerably in terms of "personality" which I think made him more like an "it" and more alien/threatening in nature.

The film works fairly well as a standalone too, despite some minor openings for the inevitable follow-ups.

It'll be good to revisit this one on disc when it finally lands on the shelves.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Godzilla was also stripped back considerably in terms of "personality" which I think made him more like an "it" and more alien/threatening in nature.
    Totally agree with that statement.

I dunno, it was tough going for me. My boy is 8, big G fan, but he fell asleep halfway through Tuesday night (to be fair, long day at school, and sports the night before). He's a good enough reader, but the subs were flashed pretty quickly and he's just not up on government bureaucracy. He said to me at one point, while still awake, "This isn't at all what I thought the new Godzilla film would be like," even though I had tried to warn him that there would be a lot of talking and government / military / strategizing stuff.

I'd like to see it again myself because I was distracted worrying about his enjoyment (or not) of the movie. I've heard it said that this isn't you grandfather's G movie, and that's true; it's completely unlike any other entry in the series. It felt like a movie about Japanese bureaucracy, part serious and (some) part satire, that happened to have Godzilla in it. At times it felt like an episode of Dragnet directed by Russ Meyer in that the camera never stayed on any one actor for more than a few seconds, and the lines of dialog sped along without much pause in between. I don't know how I feel about it yet, I may end up loving it, I may not. I need a second, undistracted viewing.

OilersFan & Battema... One cool thing was that, where I saw it (Rosemont, IL... parked in the same parking garage as when we go to G-Fest every year, which seemed appropriate :-), there was only one show listed for Tuesday's premiere (7:30) up until a week or so ago. Ticket sales were so good that they added two more shows that night (8 & 10:30). The theater was packed for the 7:30 show.

How was the crowd (size-wise) when you saw it? I know the movie killed it at the box office in Japan. I'd love to see it do GREAT during its limited run here, that would certainly bode well for the future of the franchise (which is important to a nerd like me, and maybe nerds like you guys too ;-)

At the showing I saw (moderate-sized theater), it was just about a full house. Might have been a few empty seats here and there but otherwise a strong showing.

And agreed on the tough going...my friend didn't enjoy it as much as I did, partly because she is more familiar with the 2014 (and the, gulp 1998) American films. It wasn't a flawless film, but then how many of the TOHO films are, right? Even the very first one has some sticky spots (and I absolutely ADORE that film).

I can't see them NOT launching a new franchise on this one, to be honest. The reception in Japan alone should justify the investment, and between the limited run here and the likely home video sales, I'd expect to see it continue to reach our shores as well.

And if not? Hey...as far as closing statements go, Shin Gojira is a far better one than Final Wars
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

All of the showings (one per night) in my area have sold out or are close to being sold out. It was easily one of the most crowded movie theaters I've ever been in for a Tuesday night.

I can't see them NOT launching a new franchise on this one, to be honest. The reception in Japan alone should justify the investment, and between the limited run here and the likely home video sales, I'd expect to see it continue to reach our shores as well.

And if not? Hey...as far as closing statements go, Shin Gojira is a far better one than Final Wars
    Final Wars definitely not my favorite, but my kid loves it. One thing I did like about that movie was Don Frye (I know... I can't defend that, but I did love him in it). Unfortunately he's now ailing and is in serious health trouble. At any rate, while I don't know yet how I will ultimately feel about Shin, one thing it definitely didn't do (which I really appreciate) is fall into the trap of trying to emulate American / Hollywood movies. Final Wars (with its Matrix-like scenes, motorcycle chases, etc) definitely did that, to the film's detriment, and some of the other 90's / 00's films did as well. Shin is not chasing the tails of Hollywood, it's definitely its own movie!

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    All of the showings (one per night) in my area have sold out or are close to being sold out. It was easily one of the most crowded movie theaters I've ever been in for a Tuesday night.
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Is it as good as the 1954 film?
    I saw Shin on Tuesday here in VA

It was IMHO one of the better Toho films; slightly more serious (still some very silly bits, and when the proto-Godzilla first appeared my immediate thought was, "Mr. Snuffalupagus?!?") and while it was a tad "talky" at times I appreciated the analogy to other modern Japanese disasters (Fukushima mostly). Godzilla was also stripped back considerably in terms of "personality" which I think made him more like an "it" and more alien/threatening in nature.
    The 1954 film seemed to be a serious attempt at being a scary and disturbing monster movie. And it worked up to a point; after all the creature basically annihilated Tokyo. I get the impression that after that, Toho realized that the guy lumbering around in a rubber dinosaur suit was pretty silly looking and increasingly from that point on, they played it for campy laughs. As a little kid, I found the original to be sufficiently frightening, but as a teen and beyond, I grew more fond of the hilarity that ensued, especially in films like "Son of Godzilla" and "Destroy All Monsters" (with The Mothra Twins saying, "Godzilla, such language!"). So it's slightly disappointing to me that they're taking the more "serious" approach; I don't expect it to work as well as something like "Cloverfield." But I'll probably see it anyway.

And BTW, I thought both of the American Godzilla films basically sucked, fwiw.

Didn't BOC do a song called Godzilla?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the 2014 G movie on Vimeo or something last night - I didn't even know about that one. I sped through it and watched the monster parts. Not bad.

I loved the Edwards Godzilla. It wasn't a flawless movie but it hit all the right notes IMHO. But am also glad to see him move on and let someone else tackle whatever comes next.

Plenty of room in Chez Batts for both the TOHO and 2014 Godzilla. The 1998 film...well, it isn't terribly good.

I loved the Edwards Godzilla. It wasn't a flawless movie but it hit all the right notes IMHO. But am also glad to see him move on and let someone else tackle whatever comes next.

Plenty of room in Chez Batts for both the TOHO and 2014 Godzilla. The 1998 film...well, it isn't terribly good.
    I mostly agree. I'm a lifelong G fan, hated the '98 abomination, but really liked the '14 Hollywood movie and think that it slots in nicely alongside my Toho dvd's on the shelf. The only thing I'm in minor disagreement on is that I would like to have seen GE do the next one as well.

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't hate having him do it. It's just that 'Monsters' is one of my very favorite films and I'm excited to see him take a few steps back from big blockbusters and do something in that vein again

I could be *very* wrong about this, but I suspect the upcoming "Skull Island" will help set the stage for whatever comes next with American Godzilla 2, as opposed to having a more direct sequel for the 2014 film. Edwards was pretty clear that his intent was to make a film that told a single story, start to finish, and not to just be a franchise launchpad. But now that there's talk of a "universe" for various movie monsters and to eventually put G and Kong together, I'm wagering that 'Skull Island' is going to start building out a shared "world" where these giants can coexist (and line up to duke it out for our general entertainment, of course ).

At the end of the day, I love me some big honking monsters in IMAX so the more the merrier!!

Don't get me wrong...I wouldn't hate having him do it. It's just that 'Monsters' is one of my very favorite films and I'm excited to see him take a few steps back from big blockbusters and do something in that vein again

I could be *very* wrong about this, but I suspect the upcoming "Skull Island" will help set the stage for whatever comes next with American Godzilla 2, as opposed to having a more direct sequel for the 2014 film. Edwards was pretty clear that his intent was to make a film that told a single story, start to finish, and not to just be a franchise launchpad. But now that there's talk of a "universe" for various movie monsters and to eventually put G and Kong together, I'm wagering that 'Skull Island' is going to start building out a shared "world" where these giants can coexist (and line up to duke it out for our general entertainment, of course ).

At the end of the day, I love me some big honking monsters in IMAX so the more the merrier!!
    No, from what I understand, you're not wrong at all. "Kong: Skull Island" is meant to exist in the same world as G '14. The organization "Monarch," which was in the G movie, will again be in the Kong movie. So, I can definitely see where there will be connections between Skull Island and G2 when it comes out.

With Toho starting the G franchise back up with Shin (and racking up great reviews and $$ in the process), Legendary doing their own version with G / Kong, and Pacific Rim 2 being green-lighted, it's a good time to be a kaiju fan!