Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes to record another album

RE; using old material. I don't know that it's a 'problem', the songs used were good, but concerns can be raised about what that says about their ability to consistently come up with new material. To be fair, 'Into The Storm' was a definite highlight and that was new. The track I liked best was 'Life On A Film Set', that was an old Horn/Downes demo but definitely feels very 'classic Yes' IMHO. I also liked another new one 'Hour Of Need' quite a bit too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    << In the Jon D. interview that I posted the other day, Jon D. says he and Chris are already writing.>>

Here are the names of the cuts they're working on so far:

1. Cash Replenish
    a. We Need More
    b. The Voice Needs Rest
    c. Disregard the Voice

2. Find a New Voice

3. Throw it in the Fire

4. Violate the Keyman's Sun

4. Another Set of Pipes

5. He Will Do (for Now)

6. We Need More (reprise)

Jon D is actually a really good writer. I think this has potential.

I really liked his "Dear Daddy" song on GH's Cor Cordium.

I listened to Fly From Here a couple of days ago, and was pretty impressed with how well it stood up.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    RE; using old material. I don't know that it's a 'problem', the songs used were good, but concerns can be raised about what that says about their ability to consistently come up with new material.
    Who cares?

I can decide if I like something after I hear it.

When a song is written, or who it's written by is completely irrelevant to my enjoyment of it.

I don't care if Taylor Swift writes their new material - if it's good, it's good.

(Of course, it would be impossible for it to be good in that circumstance, but you get my point.)
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

(Of course, it would be impossible for it to be good in that circumstance, but you get my point.)
    haters-gonna-hate-2.jpg
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yup!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    << In the Jon D. interview that I posted the other day, Jon D. says he and Chris are already writing.>>

Here are the names of the cuts they're working on so far:

1. Cash Replenish
    a. We Need More
    b. The Voice Needs Rest
    c. Disregard the Voice

2. Find a New Voice

3. Throw it in the Fire

4. Violate the Keyman's Sun

4. Another Set of Pipes

5. He Will Do (for Now)

6. We Need More (reprise)
    How come every time a Yes thread is started, there are people like this that feel the need to "contribute"? We get it:you want Jon A back. It has been five years. Get over it!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Besides the obvious answer, $$$, it is a way to make sure Davison's voice could handle the punishment of touring with Yes before recording the next album and going on tour to support the new album. I am quite sure Yes does not want to go through the same ordeal they went with Benoît David.
    Good point. What I meant is why do this kind of tour, which spotlights certain albums? I think Yes would do this, because they want to recapture the magic of those albums(which are considered classics by Yesfans).

It's all about the money, JIF.

Banned
    If Fly From Here ended being Yes last studio album, it would have ended their career on a much higher note than if they had ended their career with many of their previous studio efforts.
    Are you referring to Magnification?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Chris has often said that the musical identity of Yes is the combination of killer vocals with killer instrumental playing. How closely the album stands up to past Yes highlights will depend on everyone remembering the script. But the big wild card here is Jon Davison. My main worry is that Chris and Jon will go off into singer-songwriter land, as was the case on songs like "The Man You Always Wanted Me To Be".

Also, I wouldn't expect a new album to be a return to the glory days unless the band and their producer worked hard to deliberately evoke that era. And in order to do that they'll need a healthy dose of Andersonification. AKA, space hippy cosmic wonderment, which I don't think anyone in the current lineup truly embraces (no matter how much weed Steve still imbibes. )
    Remember, The Man was suppose to be for a Chris solo album(which is why Chris sings lead on it). I think that Jon D is as close to Anderson as they'll(i.e without the ego). I read on many websites that Jon D does meditation and stuff like that. So, maybe he can appeal to a higher power for lyrics in the Yes spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Good point. What I meant is why do this kind of tour, which spotlights certain albums? I think Yes would do this, because they want to recapture the magic of those albums(which are considered classics by Yesfans).
    I do not think it has that much to do with recapturing any magic from those albums. Yes depends on its most loyal fans to fill venues and doing the upcoming three album tour is the best way to get those same fans attending another round of shows in a slightly short time frame without releasing a new album. If they would have done a continuation of the previous tour, many of those loyal fans would have stayed home since there was nothing different to see from the last tour. With that approach and their back catalog, Yes could keep touring for quite a while without the need to put out new material.

Are you referring to Magnification?
    Magnification, The Ladder and Open Your Eyes were pretty weak efforts to end Yes career on a high note. While I am aware that Fly From Here is no masterpiece, I see it as a better candidate to end their recording career than any of those three.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    << How come every time a Yes thread is started, there are people like this that feel the need to "contribute"? We get it:you want Jon A back. It has been five years. Get over it!!!>>

I actually don't really care, I just find that whole turn of events odd and sort of funny. How much time was there between the realease of FFH and JA's next solo album? Couldn't have been long at all. It amuses me how desperate they were for cash.

I actually like FFH. Of course I like Magnification too.

Banned
    I do not think it has that much to do with recapturing any magic from those albums. Yes depends on its most loyal fans to fill venues and doing the upcoming three album tour is the best way to get those same fans attending another round of shows in a slightly short time frame without releasing a new album. If they would have done a continuation of the previous tour, many of those loyal fans would have stayed home since there was nothing different to see from the last tour. With that approach and their back catalog, Yes could keep touring for quite a while without the need to put out new material.

Magnification, The Ladder and Open Your Eyes were pretty weak efforts to end Yes career on a high note. While I am aware that Fly From Here is no masterpiece, I see it as a better candidate to end their recording career than any of those three.
    To me, The Ladder came the closest to capturing the Yes magic. Of course, it helped that Igor used those vintage sounds.

Banned
    << How come every time a Yes thread is started, there are people like this that feel the need to "contribute"? We get it:you want Jon A back. It has been five years. Get over it!!!>>

I actually don't really care, I just find that whole turn of events odd and sort of funny. How much time was there between the realease of FFH and JA's next solo album? Couldn't have been long at all. It amuses me how desperate they were for cash.

I'm sure Yes has a lot of money. They didn't need to do another album to make more. So, your previous post does not make sense. Go troll somewhere else. Despite what Henry has said, I always that Yes wanted to make another album after Magnification. Jon A just kept getting into the way. From the reviews I've read, people seem to like FFH more than Open.

I'm sure Yes has a lot of money. They didn't need to do another album to make more.
    Yes might not be as loaded as you might believe. In addition to poor business deals in their earlier years, some members had been known to spend way above their means. It does not help either that some of them have been married more than once and probably have paid or are still paying a good amount of alimony to their exes. Regarding making albums to make more money, that train left the station some time ago. Record sales are not as strong as they were in the past and having Trevor Horn as your producer will take a good chunk of the profits from your record sales. The real money is on touring.

Banned
    Yes might not be as loaded as you might believe. In addition to poor business deals in their earlier years, some members had been known to spend way above their means. It does not help either that some of them have been married more than once and probably have paid or are still paying a good amount of alimony to their exes. Regarding making albums to make more money, that train left the station some time ago. Record sales are not as strong as they were in the past and having Trevor Horn as your producer will take a good chunk of the profits from your record sales. The real money is on touring.
    Did Trevor not offer Yes the "friend" discount?

Banned

do you have a job? Could you take an extended break of not working and not bringing in steady money? Guess what...Musicians are people too!

Banned
    I'm sure Yes has a lot of money. They didn't need to do another album to make more. So, your previous post does not make sense. Go troll somewhere else. Despite what Henry has said, I always that Yes wanted to make another album after Magnification. Jon A just kept getting into the way. From the reviews I've read, people seem to like FFH more than Open.
    why does everyone think bands like Yes are always loaded?

Did Trevor not offer Yes the "friend" discount?
    He might have. But I am under the impression that the "friend" discount was lower than the royalties Horn would have received for using his old songs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    why does everyone think bands like Yes are always loaded?
    Did I say that Yes was loaded? No, I just said that they have money. How much? I don't know. Do you, Henry Potts?

The new album hasn't even been written yet, much less recorded. As ever, the forward-thinking posters on PE have already reviewed it!

meimjustalawnmower
    Remember when Moe and Larry did those films with Curly Joe DeRita? It's kinda like that, only funnier.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with pondering the possibilities of a new Yes album, boys. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads... for you two to poop on!!