Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Corima

Auto-buy. Question, this is Corima's third release, second official release. How does one obtain the first release and what can you tell me about it?

^ I believe the first one was a demo CD-R of sorts, IIRC from when they were a trio of keys/vox-bass/vox-drums. There were some good ideas even then, but as I remember it the sound was lacking in overall variation and rather than appear as adding to the Zeuhl spectrum they came across as somewhat, er, wannabes. Their later stuff is way better, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I saw them at the time of their first album and I heard it as well.

To be kind to a band that I think has really hit their stride starting with their 2nd album, I was 'unimpressed'.

IMO - don't bother.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I don't know how I missed this thread before

Quote Originally Posted by Soleilzeuhl View Post
    Corima’s second official album (and third opus) is now available !
    Extracts can be heard here : http://corima.bandcamp.com/album/amaterasu
    Thanks Alain, I'll most likely order, ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    It's a lot less Koenjihyakkei than Quetzalcoatl but that's not a bad thing, it's a strong album which is likely to take a lot of absorbing.
    Listening to the bandcamp (nice to see Willy Vlyminck is still around) as I write, and indeed , the Koenji influence is lesser on the new one

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    That's a good way to put it. That's what I loved about Quetzalcoatl, is that it took the intensity of the Japanese Zeuhl bands, but far more controlled, with less of that annoying free noise element.
    But despite that, it stills sounds very japanese zeuhl to my ears, especially in that first track, IMHO
    And the artwork attests to that too.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks for the info Scrots and Steve. I was so impressed with Quetzalcoatl, such a fully formed release for a young band. Surprised to hear their debut was underwhelming. Sounds like the future is bright though!

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    Sounds like the future is bright though!
    Yes.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by LighthouseKeeper View Post
    the future is bright though!
    When the Complete magnitude of Prog's magnificent Power gets real for Peoples, and Prog once again rules the seas and Peoples can't resist the Extreme deity of Prog's colossal force, Corima will at least be halfway up there.

[ed. note: I learnt how to use the possessive pronoun "Prog's" from reading wonderful articles in Prog Magazine where the phenomenon of "Prog" is thereby explained as a singular entity of firm establishment as cultural commodity].
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 11-14-2016 at 04:38 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    the Extreme deity of Prog's colossal force,
    Neal Morse or Jon Anderson?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Neal Morse or Jon Anderson?
    None of those. I mean, they're hardly disciples, hell, not even apostles!

Nah, Prog's true sanctity namechecks as given+sur and given+sur only. Namely Uli Popp, bongo-player on Ash Ra Tempel's Schwingungen. And don't you friggin' give me that PeterG'ian "[...] b-but they're not truly Prog...?!" look.

Btw, I can't believe there's only one Uli pic to Popp up on the entire web - and that's the same as on the LP jacket. Don't they know about the Deity thing?!

A-465968-1253369278.jpeg.jpg

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    None of those. I mean, they're hardly disciples, hell, not even apostles!

Nah, Prog's true sanctity namechecks as given+sur and given+sur only. Namely Uli Popp, bongo-player on Ash Ra Tempel's Schwingungen. And don't you friggin' give me that PeterG'ian "[...] b-but they're not truly Prog...?!" look.

Btw, I can't believe there's only one Uli pic to Popp up on the entire web - and that's the same as on the LP jacket. Don't they know about the Deity thing?!

A-465968-1253369278.jpeg.jpg
    You have to separate the sheep from the goats somehow.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Definitely less intense and lmore of their own path than the previous, and very very good and quite enjoyable,
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I finally had a really good listen to the track "Amterasu" last night. I've listened to it previously, but for various reasons, could not engage fully. For me, zeuhl really clicks when I get in touch with the underlying rhythm of the piece, and then that carries me through all the exultations and transformations of the music. So I finally got that yesterday. Yeah, they plug into MDK quite a bit, but they explore the space with creativity and flair: full props for making some great music. Definitely worthy.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Alright finally got a chance to listen in full. It's definitely toned down compared to the last one, though it's not like it could've been toned any further up from that point. Seems like it's less MDK and more 1001 Degrees Centigrade, as far as the Magma influence goes. Reminds me a bit of Setna even. Though they really do crank it up on both pieces when they get rolling. Thought the solo piano bit was great too.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    Reminds me a bit of Setna even. Though they really do crank it up on both pieces when they get rolling.
    I don't see much links to Setna... Corima seems to play at 11 - full blast, while Setna is way too gentle (even when the Neom guys play with them) to be compared to them.

IMHO, of course.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

On Quetzalcoatl that was definitely true. This album does have some slower and prettier passages to it where they just kinda jam on a few chords. Quite welcome, really. Maybe not the best comparisons but there are so few bands playing this sort of music these days...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I don't see much links to Setna... Corima seems to play at 11 - full blast, while Setna is way too gentle (even when the Neom guys play with them) to be compared to them.

IMHO, of course.
    On Quetzalcoatl that was definitely true. This album does have some slower and prettier passages to it where they just kinda jam on a few chords. Quite welcome, really. Maybe not the best comparisons but there are so few bands playing this sort of music these days...
    I agree, there are a lot less frenetic passages on the new one, on Quetzalcoatl they were channeling Koenjihyakkei more than anyone else, this new one seems more French.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    sweet. can't get me enough Corima.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Excited for this, their last album was something pretty special in my world. I hope it comes out on Soleil Zeuhl as I love what Alain has done with the label over all these years. But mainly I'll just be happy to have it at all.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile