Thread: My Review of Kansas - The Prelude Implicit

My Review of Kansas - The Prelude Implicit

Sorry it took two weeks longer than it should have, but I finally got this done. As most of you know, Kansas is my favorite band and this new album is a very big deal! I'm working on a new website that will include music reviews, but for now, I have to post this here for lack of anywhere else. Hope you enjoy this. Feel free to comment or criticize.

Kansas – The Prelude Implicit (2016)

Track Listing:
    With This Heart
    Visibility Zero
    The Unsung Heroes
    Rhythm in the Spirit
    Refugee
    The Voyage of Eight Eighteen
    Camouflage
    Summer
    Crowded Isolation
    Section 60
    Home On the Range (Deluxe Edition)
    Oh Shenandoah (Deluxe Edition)

When I first heard Kansas was working on a new studio album, I was overwhelmed at the prospect of my lifelong favorite band producing new music. It had been the dream of diehard fans for a long time, which is why I clung so tightly to Steve Walsh’s solo albums and Kerry Livgren’s Proto-Kaw project. They were as close as I was going to get to the Kansas-related sound I loved so much. Most “classic rock” bands tend to rehash the songs of their heyday over and over again in the form of collections, best ofs, remixes, and live albums. I try not to get frustrated; after all, it’s the music of my youth and coming of age. A new studio album, however, is a treat one must take seriously. The first question: is it going to suck? The last thing I want from Kansas is another boring Native Window, a side project without Livgren and Walsh. Well, what we have here is another album without Livgren and Walsh. You can imagine my trepidation. Ask a cross section of Yes fans how they feel about two recent snoozer albums by that band. Sometimes a “classic rock” band just can’t recapture the magic.

Luckily for Kansas fans, all fears are laid to rest! Not only is The Prelude Implicit a really good album, it is their BEST album since 1977! It’s amazing the band went so long without a decent follow up to Point of Know Return, but in their defense, Kansas didn’t totally suck in the past 39 years. (After all, I consider 1979’s Monolith my favorite Kansas album.) Let’s just say it’s been a long, hard road they’ve been on. As Dorothy can tell you, it’s good to come home.

First, I want to point out the miracle that is Ronnie Platt. Mr. Platt came along at JUST the right moment, filling the very big shoes of Steve Walsh who left the band over a year ago. Ronnie not only filled those shoes, he has overflown them! The perfect voice, the right look, the bright personality; he is every bit the front man. I wonder if Rich Williams and Phil Ehart had a moment of disbelief when Ronnie agreed to hop on board. Sorry, Shooting Star fans, he’s ours now. To me, Ronnie is the breath of fresh air this band needed for quite some time. I mean no disrespect to Steve Walsh. He was my hero for many decades, but the last few years had really taken their toll on his voice and his health. What I wish for Walsh is some good rest and maybe someday dabble in music again. There is bound to be another solo album inside him.

David Manion is also “new” as a major player, but he has been a part of Kansas for decades as Walsh’s keyboard tech. Manion already knows every note to every song in the band’s vast catalog. It was natural for him to step into the role as lead keyboard player. (Platt takes care of backup keyboards.)

Another newcomer, Zak Rizvi, adds to the great “wall of sound” that Rich Williams has produced for decades. Rizvi’s skill with the electric guitar adds a depth and richness to the harder side of Kansas that balances out the proggy bits. Williams has worked very hard since Livgren left the band, taking the other guitar with him, and while David Ragsdale has been able to add some guitar to the mix, this band really needed a second full time axe man to round it all out.

Speaking of Ragsdale, he is all over this album. There isn’t one song he hasn’t touched with his amazing violin work. While many fans still miss Robby Steinhardt’s presence in the band, Ragsdale has proved over and over again that he is the only proper replacement. After 20 off and on years with the band, Ragsdale has earned his due. Another so called "newcomer", Billy Greer, continues to add excellent bass skills and crystal clear backing vocals. With his side project, Seventh Key, it's clear he is a gifted musician and of course, no longer a newcomer after 30 years with Kansas.

As for the band’s two veterans, Rich Williams and Phil Ehart, they are the heart and brains of the whole operation. I can only admire their perseverance and strength to carry on the Kansas tradition through five decades. It seems once Walsh stepped out of the picture, there was a big sigh of relief and suddenly the band could breathe again.

The strongest songs on the album are The Voyage of Eight Eighteen, the most Kansaslike song reminiscent of epics like Journey from Mariabronn or The Pinnacle. It’s my favorite and makes me wonder where the title came from and what the song is actually about, lyric wise. (Apparently Platt wrote most of the lyrics on the album.) Crowded Isolation is a heavy song with so much guitar, you walls will almost vibrate. The bass is unbelievable! I also appreciate Rhythm of the Spirit which sounds so super tight guitarwise and emotes excellent vocal harmony between Platt and Greer.

The weakest song, and only song I don’t like, is the Eaglesish The Unsung Heroes. It just falls flat and actually makes me sometimes hit the skip button. Not even Ragsdale’s brilliant violin can save it.

All the other songs are excellent in musicianship and lyrics. I love trying to figure out the subject of Camouflage. Then there’s Visibility Zero, which points at the current political climate without taking any sides. That’s what I love about this song. In fact, the lyrics on this album are wonderfully neutral for the most part.

The one exception to this is Refugee. Its purpose is obvious, but it may be too controversial for some and too emotional for others. Certainly it is an important subject, and not too many other popular musicians are singing about it, but what remains clear is the great human tragedy of what is happening in Syria, and the mystery of so many Americans simply do not care.

Honorable mention goes to Section 60, a short, bittersweet tribute to the fallen soldiers of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. The little drum roll at the end really tugs at your emotions.

So there you have it, a most remarkable album from a most remarkable band. Who knew Kansas could not only last this long, but come back stronger and better than ever? Even more thought provoking is the fact they did this without any contributions or influence from Livgren and Walsh, who had been their two primary songwriters since the band's inception. It seems Kansas is, and has always been, Kansas after all.

On a side note, please be sure to catch their current tour celebrating the 40th anniversary of their Leftoverture album. The setlist includes the entire album, as well as several songs from the new album, and of course, a few big hits thrown in for good measure.

Another side note, another album? Yes, please! A little birdie told me it is already in the works!

Kansas is a band! <3
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great review! I'm enjoying the album.

GREAT review, Melissa! Thanks for sharing it! If you want to post it in the album's main thread too, feel free.

I too thought Refugee was about Syrians and others in the wake of current events, but at the show Ronnie told us it's actually about child sex trafficking. I guess the "please protect the children" line makes more sense in that context but I totally thought it could be applied to any refugee and I still think it can.

I've played it once and made it all the way through. I enjoyed it and find it to be good but didn't blow me away. Might need a few more listenings. With the big 3 pieces missing Livgren Walsh and Steinheart I was hoping for a little more original writing instead of trying to write in the same style as them so much. I understand that it's Kansas but I was just hoping new blood would bring something new to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice review Mel. Good to see you around.

I still haven't gotten the CD but I've heard about all of it on YouTube. I like what I hear but just don't feel like running around looking for it. To me it's like when Clockwork Angels came out I had no interest in it, but everyone raved about. I'll get Prelude eventually.

Good review but I'll confess to loving "The Unsung Heroes." I think it grounds the loftier aspects of the rest of the album perfectly. And the intro is so like "Hold On," which gives it that Kansas flavor.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Thanks especially to Sean for explaining what Refugee is really about. Now I will listen to the song again with different ears.

For those who do not like the album because it sounds too much like Kansas, just remember how weak Native Window and their 80s fare were when they tried to break out of the Prog mold. Disaster! I like Kansas when they sound like Kansas, the only exception being Freaks of Nature.

Now, if they would just bring the current tour to the West Coast...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    For those who do not like the album because it sounds too much like Kansas, just remember how weak Native Window and their 80s fare were when they tried to break out of the Prog mold. Disaster! I like Kansas when they sound like Kansas, the only exception being Freaks of Nature....
    I wouldn't say I don't like it but I just wasn't blown away by it. I'll give it more chances. It's better than most albums released by older bands today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Good review but I'll confess to loving "The Unsung Heroes." I think it grounds the loftier aspects of the rest of the album perfectly. And the intro is so like "Hold On," which gives it that Kansas flavor.
    I just can't stand the sort of mid-tempo, country-western feel of it.

That tune has grown on me a lot, even if it reminds me of a Don Henley Xmas tune....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Maybe it goes well with a glass of really sweet wine.

A vintage called Crushing Felder, maybe?

I agree about Unsung Heroes being Henley/Eaglesish (great word BTW). In fact whenever that tune is over for some reason my brain expects to hear the beginning of Desperado.

If a Don Henley Xmas tune was sung by Tommy Shaw, that is!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    GREAT review, Melissa! Thanks for sharing it! If you want to post it in the album's main thread too, feel free.

I too thought Refugee was about Syrians and others in the wake of current events, but at the show Ronnie told us it's actually about child sex trafficking. I guess the "please protect the children" line makes more sense in that context but I totally thought it could be applied to any refugee and I still think it can.
    Agreed, Sean. I've only listened a few times, but I thought it was obviously about the Syria situation, but it works for any similar situation. A credit to Ronnie's writing.

Speaking of which, I also enjoyed your review, Mel. Nice job!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just got it today. Here's my review :

I love it.

You have a way with words, Vic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

LOL, great review, Vic.

Music is my greatest emotion and that's why I can be long winded about it at times.

Thanks again, folks, for your kind comments.

Hunni you must be in Heaven now that Tommy Shaw is in Kansas....

I didn't notice until now how much Mr. Platt sounds like Tommy. It's all good. Kansas produced a very good, new album.

Ha, I was wondering when you'd weigh in on this album, Mel! Good review. Not a huge fan myself but sampled some of the songs and they appear to fit comfortably into the Kansas sound and catalog. My expectations are always lowered because I don't think any of the classic bands have matched their 70's output much later in their careers but occasionally they put out something that's better than what I would have expected, as in the case with Rush's Clockwork Angels and this Kansas album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I didn't notice until now how much Mr. Platt sounds like Tommy.
    Actually, I think Ronnie sounds a lot like Todd Plant of the (now defunct?) band Cryptic Vision. I've always said Cryptic Vision was the bastard child of Styx and Kansas.

Banned
    What a great review!
    Thank you for posting this!

on it's own it's a good album.
    i can't get passed the writing.
    sounds like Kansas covering someone else.

I really enjoyed it. It's better than most all Kansas written sans Kerry. I'm glad they made it and I am sure they are very proud. One listen to Somewhere To Elsewhere this week (first time in years) reminded me how much more intricate the arrangements on Livgren tunes are, even his simpler ones though. This is a bit like Livgren-lite. But still tasty....