Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why “Revolver” still matters: The 50th anniversary of a Beatles masterpiece

Banned

Why “Revolver” still matters: The 50th anniversary of a Beatles masterpiece

http://www.salon.com/2016/08/05/why-...s-masterpiece/

Even if you scorn Boomer myth-making, the 50th anniversary of “Revolver” — perhaps the Beatles’ best album — is a big deal. It not only sent the band in a new direction, it showed new possibilities in rock music. Look at the state of rock music in the 21st century — when so much of popular music is about artfully recycling existing tropes and styles — and it can be hard to see what the fuss was about. But the album was groundbreaking for a bunch of reasons, and it’s aged better than almost any of the great records of the era.

One way that “Revolver” immediately stood out was its eclecticism. The album that preceded it, “Rubber Soul,” saw the band mostly in acoustic-folkie mode, and the one that followed it, “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band,” was mostly expansive, psychedelic, and orchestrated. Both are masterpieces. (The hype around “Sgt. Pepper’s” has led some to dismiss it, but go listen to it sometime — even overlooking the backstory and concept-album pretensions, it’s packed full of good tunes.) But “Revolver” shows a complex band stretching all over the place: Between an Indian tune, chamber pop, acid-influenced psychedelia, muscular rockers, and everything in between, the album is so wide-ranging that, with the inclusion of one more genre, it would probably not have held together.

Part of the reason “Revolver” worked so well was that the on-again, off-again battle between the band’s three songwriters has reached a point of productive detente. The Beatles had begun as John Lennon’s band, and would soon become Paul McCartney’s: Drugs and indifference and general orneriness would take Lennon far away from the collaboration that a rock group needs. McCartney’s curiosity and squareness — his avoidance of hard drugs, his interest in contemporary art and experimental music, his earnest band diplomacy — was making him more sophisticated and essential with each album. But both were still at the top of their game and working together at least some of the time.

The emergence of George Harrison completed the perfect chemistry: Frustrated over the years by being pushed aside, the guitarist saw three of his songs — the opener, “Taxman,” the Indian “Love You To,” the moderately dissonant “I Want to Tell You” — sneak onto the album.

Throw in Lennon’s rocking “And Your Bird Can Sing” and his psychedelic breakthrough “Tomorrow Never Knows,” and McCartney’s “For No One” and “Eleanor Rigby,” and you have a collection of timeless songs even with an entire side to go.

As lively and inventive as the early Beatles albums were, “Revolver” is also the one that saw them unleashed in the studio. Abbey Road was quite primitive by the standards of our day, and less sophisticated than studios in California. But producer George Martin and Geoff Emerick went out of their way to make instruments sound uncanny, to allow Lennon to indulge strange ideas (a microphone, wrapped in a condom, submerged in water), to incorporate tape loops and unorthodox instruments into the sound.

The Beatles' best album, IMHO.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-08-2016 at 06:01 AM.

Banned
    ^ The site' search engine gave me no result.

I use 'Advanced' and 'Search Titles Only'

Part of the reason “Revolver” worked so well was that the on-again, off-again battle between the band’s three songwriters has reached a point of productive detente. The Beatles had begun as John Lennon’s band, and would soon become Paul McCartney’s: Drugs and indifference and general orneriness would take Lennon far away from the collaboration that a rock group needs. McCartney’s curiosity and squareness — his avoidance of hard drugs, his interest in contemporary art and experimental music, his earnest band diplomacy — was making him more sophisticated and essential with each album. But both were still at the top of their game and working together at least some of the time.
    What a silly statement. Paul avoided hard drugs? Really? He may have been the last to embrace them, but he was the first to go public about their use of LSD. That bold part is especially rich. They didn't collaborate as much as it implies.

While "Pepper" is my all-time favorite album, I go to "Revolver" more often. That being said, if I had to choose one Beatles album for a desert island, it would likely be a BBC collection.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    What a silly statement. Paul avoided hard drugs? Really? He may have been the last to embrace them, but he was the first to go public about their use of LSD. That bold part is especially rich. They didn't collaborate as much as it implies.

While "Pepper" is my all-time favorite album, I go to "Revolver" more often. That being said, if I had to choose one Beatles album for a desert island, it would likely be a BBC collection.
    I read an article recently where George and John began to mistrust Paul because he didn't want to experiment further with LSD after they had been dosed at a party together.
    At any rate, when you read "you have a collection of timeless songs even with an entire side to go." thats pretty astounding!

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I love pretty much everything Beatles, but that Help/Rubber Soul/Revolver period is what I find myself visiting most often lately. Those albums are such a perfect balance of their pop side and their artier side. Generally the mono versions are my "go to" mixes.

I rank Rubber Soul slightly ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    I rank Rubber Soul slightly ahead
    You are officially banned from this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    You are officially banned from this thread!
    Just bein honest!

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Just bein honest!
    Just joking. I actually agree with you myself.

Banned
    IMO this was indeed the breakthrough. It showed that rock or pop or whatever it was could go anywhere and do anything from world/ethic to rock & roll to new standard songs to the swirling vortex of psychedelic consciousness. It broke the paradigm and spawned a decade of experimental and progressive music that gained a significant degree of commercial acceptance before being digested and vomited back out by corporate interests in formulized product consumable by the massed rubes. Seminal. It's ripples continue to spread even today.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Generally the mono versions are my "go to" mixes.
    Indeed. Listening to the mono "Tomorrow Never Knows," most would never even know it's not stereo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Interesting. Just saw this thread. Last night I saw Black Jacket Symphony perform Revolver in it's entirety. It was mostly disappointing except for the last 2 songs. It just didn't 'come together' ;-) and gel in a live setting. I saw them perform Abbey Road last year and it was resounding success. In fact in the second set they played a lot of the Beatles hits and numerous songs off AR and they rocked the joint, or rather, the theater in this case.

07b3de_4f6fc43ce2da46d892d875f8a7341788~mv2.jpg
    Last edited by Dok; 10-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    [The Beatles' best album, IMHO.

Thoughts?
    Hard for me to rank the Beatles albums, it's like deciding which of your kids you like better or what's the best form of chocolate.

But Revolver was a monster, of that there is no doubt.

Of course, there are two versions of this masterpiece. Being an American of 8 years old when it came out, I grew up with a version that was missing Dr. Robert, I'm Only Sleeping, and And Your Bird Can Sing -- it almost seems like Capitol was anti-Lennon for us USA consumers. The whole affair surely stunted my growth somehow, and, in response to learning of this deception, it likely factored into me to be becoming an experimental artist as an adult. I actually just recently produced an interpretation of Revolution 9.

Banned

Banned
    (...)
    Actually, it doesn't matter for this story who was the first 'Beatle' who was going to public about taking LSD, as at the time of making Revolver, it was certainly Lennon who was taking LSD at the most.
    Last edited by Svetonio; 10-09-2016 at 04:09 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hard for me to rank the Beatles albums, it's like deciding which of your kids you like better or what's the best form of chocolate.

(...)
    I agree; though, it seems like that Revolver is aging better than any other of their masterpieces.

Still one of my Fab Four faves....

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    Actually, it doesn't matter for this story who was the first 'Beatle' who was going to public about taking LSD, as at the time of making Revolver, it was certainly Lennon who was taking LSD at the most.
    My point was about the inaccuracies, not whether it mattered for the story about who was first going public. When there's a fundamental inaccuracy or misrepresentation in a story, you have to bring other parts of it into question and wonder why the writer couldn't do proper research.

Banned
    My point was about the inaccuracies, not whether it mattered for the story about who was first going public. When there's a fundamental inaccuracy or misrepresentation in a story, you have to bring other parts of it into question and wonder why the writer couldn't do proper research.
    Not once, along with other details - such as that Brian Epstein litlerally wept with joy when he first saw the cover design, that Ray Davies from The Kinks said that the album sucks, and so on - I read that Lennon was obsessed with LSD at the time of making Revolver, and that it was already started to reflect on his behavior; but that does not matter. What is interesting is how the album sounds perfectly fresh even today, that's the point of the text and that's true.

Paul McCartney's bass sound had changed by Revolver. It was a deeper sound that I first took notice of on the single "Paperback Writer/Rain" It's a total music statement on "Taxman". Rubber Soul and Revolver were innovative in the sense that both albums influenced change in many other bands. Ray Davies once gave a decent review for Revolver and he seemed to be impressed by certain tracks. "Eleanor Rigby " set off a dark vibe which was unusually peculiar for the times. It's a track I could hear Gary Brooker singing and it's not too distant from what Procol Harum might have produced. It was amazing how Revolver changed Rock music. Some great ideas for Psychedelic Rock in the 60's existing prior to Revolver were interesting attempts...but Revolver truly opened a new dimensional way of thinking for musicians and it was groundbreaking .

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Paul McCartney's bass sound had changed by Revolver. It was a deeper sound that I first took notice of on the single "Paperback Writer/Rain" It's a total music statement on "Taxman".
    A lot of that was actually due to better vinyl mastering/pressing. I know it was always a problem for them. I know something changed in pressing techniques (not sure exactly what) that brought out the bass beginning with the release of PW/Rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    Paul McCartney's bass sound had changed by Revolver.
    Two words: James Jamerson.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes